Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Walking Trail -- first 13 -- first post

Author Topic: The Walking Trail -- first 13 -- first post
Karloff
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for Karloff   Email Karloff         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post here. Let's see how it goes. It's a macabre fantany. I have two questions. First, would you keep reading? Second, does it bother you that there's no speculative element in the story yet?

quote:

"What's that, Daddy?"

"It looks like a walking trail," Bill said. He remembered reading in the paper they were building one behind the new development.

Joey stepped on the scooter's break and stopped in front of the trail.

"It looks really cool," Joey said. "Can we explore it?"

"No. We don't have time."

"Oh, come on, Daddy. Just for a little bit?

Bill opened his mouth, then closed it. And sighed. The walk was to be a time of bonding. Things had been bad between Bill and his son for a few days. It was Bill's fault, of course, and he knew it; five-year-olds are culpable for nothing. Every New Year

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 20, 2006).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedSakana
Member # 3127

- posted      Profile for RedSakana           Edit/Delete Post 
This one just didn't grab me. I think the first line is great, but then nothing really happens after that to pull me in. I like stories that start right in the thick of the action if possible.

The fact that it isn't speculative right from the get go isn't necessarily a deal-killer for me.

I'm new so I don't know how helpful my comments are. I'd suggest reading a bunch of the other first 13 lines that are posted (and the feedback) to see what other people are doing. I've found that to be very educational.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind that you haven't introduced a speculative element in the opening sentences.

I enjoyed the opening, but I'm not hooked. Also, that last paragraph confused me. At first, I thought the tension between Bill and Joey was recent and superficial. But then you state that "Every New Year dug deep into Bill" which makes me think that the problem goes much deeper than I was told at the beginning of the paragraph. Perhaps if there was more information in that paragraph... just a guess.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
This opening is simply mundane. My first reaction is, so what? Give me more of a reason why they are interested in exploring this particular trail. What's supposed to be back there? I s there an old mine? Is there a haunted mountain? Here, I would stop reading, just like if I saw an SUV parked at a trailhead, and a father with his boys standing there looking at the trail, I would not stop to say hello. I would keep driving past the trailhead.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Karloff,
Look I will tentatively agree with the above posts.
I found the explanation of the difficulties hard to deal with. I think I needed to see a little more tension. BUT when I got to the last paragraph I thought: 'Holy smoke -- that's me!" All the MCs actions, the sigh, the way you described him, I immediately identified with it... I bet he even looks like me. ( Unless he's a bad-guy then he'll probably look like pantros -- Heh heh, he's gonna get me now.)

You did something right in that paragraph, you made it work and I like it and despite some of the other stuff I would have read on because I liked him.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 19, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 19, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked by the conflict.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that a child (I don't know how old the boy is) would ask to "explore" the trail. Using a childlike description might work, and would sound better. Also, it might help to describe the sound of the scooter as the brakes are pressed.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
It was okay, but did not grip me. Maybe if you have them already on the trail and something weird happens that would get me. As it stands now my mind was already wandering for these few lines, but maybe that's just me.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
It works. The guy has issues with his son that hook me. I don't minding waiting for the speculative.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.