Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Deltron Experiment

Author Topic: Deltron Experiment
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried this with the Academy, so maybe this will work to.

The humans have relocated to a planet that the people call "Avallon" after the Aurthurian afterlife, but the planet is populated by a species called the Tourock, a visious, brutal, but inteligent, Lizard race bent on ridding Avallon of the outsiders. then, communications with Earth ceace, with one last garbled message. without Earth, Humans resort to Mideival age tech, wich give the Tourock a huge advantage. the humans eventually adopted Tourockian language and re-name the planet Deltron.
M.C.= Nilrem, hero and protagonist. Racknorog, prince of the Tourockian tribes.
Gen. Oomsday-advisor to Racknorog

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FacePlant
Member # 3147

- posted      Profile for FacePlant   Email FacePlant         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi

This is my first critique so take it with a gain of salt. The opening comes across a bit like the description on the back of a book. I think it is important to show the scene as opposed to telling it. You might want to start with the protagonist or perhaps the people back on Earth who receive the last message. I am also not sure what the Arthurian afterlife is.

I hope this helps.

FacePlant

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll assume that was a synopsis, not the opening, dreadlord.

It sounds a little like run-of-the-mill sf to me, but that's not necessarily bad. You can make any story good if you write it well.

One thing to consider: Deltron is also the name of a rapper (also known as Del the Funky Homosapien). He's not megafamous, but enough people know him that a lot people would make the association.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
^^^
Agreed.

As it stands I cannot (personally) consider this a functional intro, simply because it does not possess a structure that allows the reader to 'enter' your story. While the concept may be interesting (depending on where you go with it), this is not an ideal place to start telling the tale.

However, you could rewrite it...from a particular character's POV, feeding the reader some (though perhaps not all) of this information in the form of exposition.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll be taken far more seriously if you do 2 things:
1) check your spelling.
2) tell people want you want them to look at and why.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
O.K, this is a synopsis, not an intro.

the story starts a few years after earth loses communications. just FYI, Earth is GONE!! bye-bye, see ya later!

another thing, Arthurian legend is stuff like, I dont know, Lancelot, Mordred, the Holy Grail, stuff like that. Avalon is the Afterlife.

i did a search for the Deltron thing when I first wrote the plot. nothing. you sure about that?

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I got all that, and yes check your spelling. It sounds like Sci- fi fantasy to me in that I enivision a little DnD.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Start Critique]

To be taken seriously in any kind of creative craftsmanship, you must learn to use your tools with skill. A writer's tools are spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Avallon = city in France
Avalon = part of the King Arthur legend
Aurthurian = should be Arthurian
visious = should be spelled vicious
inteligent = should be spelled intelligent
ridding = should be spelled riding
ceace = should be spelled cease
Mideival = should be spelled Medieval
wich = should be spelled which

Out of 92 words in your post, nine are spelled or used incorrectly. That's nearly 10% of the total. You are missing capital letters at the beginning of sentences. Unless the species name for the lizard race IS "Lizard Race" you shouldn't capitalize the "L" in lizard... capitals should be used for proper nouns.

I am pointing all this out in the spirit of good intention. I just want to make you aware of what the rest of us see. Just as a boring and cliche-filled plot is a turn-off to the reader, so is poor spelling. It stops the reader dead in their tracks and they become an editor, not a reader.

I realize it's not completely fair to gripe about spelling here on Hatrack, simply because there is no spell checker in our little "message reply" screen.

But when you have a weak spot in your writing, it's useful to focus on improving that area. It doesn't take long to start memorizing some of these words. I know the word Medieval was a real pain for me to memorize.

Yanos is right... take your own writing seriously by crafting each and every word with care, and you'll find others take you seriously as well.

[/End Critique]

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited January 30, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

If I post something here to be specifically critiqued, even though everything is whether I want it to be or not, I make sure I type it in MSWord. It will spellcheck most common words for me. Then I run spellcheck and copy and paste here. Now I'm paranoid. Man this place makes you grow tough skin.

But getting back to the point,I like the idea you presented.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually this place is mild compared to some other places who would have hacked this one to shreds by now.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Well I'm just getting my feet wet.
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
If your weakness is spelling and punctuation, get a book from the library on this and practice. Don't rely on spellcheckers entirely, but that would help too. If you're not sure of a word spelling, look it up. That's how you can correct your errors permanently. That worked for me.

As for your idea, it's interesting enough. Now that you have a synopsis, start writing.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.