Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Spirit of the Glass/2300 words/looking for a few good critiquers

Author Topic: Spirit of the Glass/2300 words/looking for a few good critiquers
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
An explosion of pain tore through his skull plunging him into darkness.

He lay there for hours until a soft hiss moved him forward.

He was floating now and had no physical form as far as he could tell.

For a few seconds he felt crushed on all sides, popped into an agonizingly small space and stopped moving.

He smelled a familiar odor, like a lit match. It was then he remembered what had happened at the club the night before Halloween.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

Above is my first post. I didn't figure out until afterwards I was supposed to say something as well (sigh).

This story is finished (2300 words) probably rated PG or PG-13 for one soft violent scene and one off color joke.

I would appreciate any and all feedback about the opening and I'm hoping someone out there is interested in reading further.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not hooked. I don't know his name and I don't know what's going on. Judging by the last sentence, something happened at the club, so that's where you should start the story.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not working, for several reasons that Ray has already pointed out.

-I don't know what is going on. As Ray said, the most interesting part may be the night before Halloween. It could also be the part before he faints.
-second, for most of the story I have no idea of what's happening. I don't know whether this is speculative, but if it is, it's dangerous to use metaphors like "he had no physical form as far as he could tell". It could, after all, be true.
Why does he feel crushed on all sides?
-name the character. It helps me give him an identity.
-four, and this is more a nit: "he lay there for hours" is a POV violation. He cannot know he has lain there for hours; he is unconcious during that time.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

Hi Ray and Silver,

Yes, this is speculative fiction. You're right about the opening, my sister pointed this out to me too. I need to start at the club scene and that will work better. I will be revising this today. Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.