Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Spirit of the Glass opening - first revision what do you think?

Author Topic: Spirit of the Glass opening - first revision what do you think?
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a speculative story of 2300 words. As Ray and Silver pointed out my first post was rather weak. I want to learn. That's why I'm here. Okay guys, is this any better and does it make you want to read more?

“Hey, kid. Stock the bar with ice,” the boss said. “Then assign two doormen to guard every entrance. We don’t want no trouble tonight.”

Tony did as he was told. He didn’t want to lose his chance to impress the boss and maybe get a promotion. Everything was fine until around midnight when there was a commotion at a side door.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My only problem: I don't know why the entrances need guarding. Otherwise, I'm ready to read on.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clove
Member # 3125

- posted      Profile for Clove   Email Clove         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Clove (edited December 18, 2009).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 

The first thing that stopped me was the incongruity of someone low level enough to be ordered to stock the bar with ice (basic menial job) being given the power to “assign” guards to entrances (a higher level of job with some power over others entailed).

It would seem more like the stocker of ice might be ordered to tell the guards at the doors something (which would be a very story-interesting detail) and then the added bit about not wanting trouble would work fine.

The second paragraph doesn’t work because the second sentence is too long and involved. A shorter, more specific reason might work better.

Tony did as he was told. Ummm…you know, I don’t know that you even need that second sentence. You could work the idea into the first one and not slow the story down.

Tony jumped to it, hoping to impress his (new? ___ ?)boss. Everything was fine….

This is just my opinion, of course.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevinMac
Member # 3145

- posted      Profile for KevinMac           Edit/Delete Post 
On second look, I see that the grammar (or lack of it) used in the dialogue is not consistent enough for me to fully believe; I don't think that a guy who says, "We don't want no trouble tonight" would say his previous sentence, "Then assign two doormen to guard every entrance."

The first sentence seems overly descriptive and too grammatically correct for me to believe that this boss actually said it. It sounds more like the author is trying to tell you what this guy MEANS rather than actually says. I would imagine if Tony had worked there for a while, then the phrase might be "I want two guys for every door." If he were new, I imagine it would be phrased more like "Then pick two guys from the list of doormen to cover each door."

I think that you can afford to be a bit less descriptive in the phrase, what with the "we don't want no trouble" bit. That implies that there is some level of guarding going on. Then we ask ourselves to what level (are they bouncers or armed guards) and why does this place need protection? Hence we read on.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second arriki's motion. To me it would sound better if the boss said something along the lines of, "Tell the doormen I want two of them at every entrance."

The last line would keep me reading for a bit.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone. I think you are all correct in your observations.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.