Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sci-Fi/Religous Story. 1st 13 lines

Author Topic: Sci-Fi/Religous Story. 1st 13 lines
Dethfoot
Member # 3195

- posted      Profile for Dethfoot   Email Dethfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
It has gone on too long, my friend Thaddeus. Far too long.
The cycles that have passed since this began are without number. The damages done by this are beyond repair. There is no way to make recompense with those who have suffered by it. It has gone on too long.
That is why I am going, Thaddeus. I am taking leave on a journey, a pilgrimage, even. I don't believe we will be seeing each other again, and if we do, it will be in a time that is not so shrouded in darkness.
Thaddeus, farewell, my friend. May the light of the Almighty find you -- find us all -- someday.
I am going Thaddeus, and I will bring us out of this darkness.
Sincerely, your associate and your dearest friend,
--Wallace

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jib
Member # 3196

- posted      Profile for jib           Edit/Delete Post 
It shrouds what the world is like in a dark cloak, it leads me to want to read on to find out what has happened to the world, and who started it, perhaps wallace and thaddeus, or they know the cause of it
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very intriguing!

Phil

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tragic3
Member # 3072

- posted      Profile for Tragic3   Email Tragic3         Edit/Delete Post 
Good start my friend. I'm intrigued! Is this the story you showed me recently?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Intrigued, but not necessarily in a good way. It sounds as though the writer of the letter is deliberately hiding information from me, the reader (the "this in particular is annoying: "this began"; "the damage done by this" comes to mind as something that would warrant a little something more: "this disaster", whatever).

I'm more confused and annoyed than hooked.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
See threads in Open Discussions on "Keeping secrets from the reader" and "Just tell me." I wouldn't read this. It's annoying to put the effort into reading something and still not find out what's going on.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do one of two things:

1) Drop everything prior to "I am taking leave on a journey...". Then give us Thaddeus' reaction to it, which should include some clue as to why Wallace feels the need to go,

or

2) Clarify what "this" is. You don't need to give us every last detail, just enough to hang our hats on. Is Wallace going to repel the Martian invasion? Defeat the Dark Lord? Blow up the supercomputer mastermind that's taken over the world? Do battle with the heathen?

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dethfoot
Member # 3195

- posted      Profile for Dethfoot   Email Dethfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you all for the feedback! I will keep everything you have suggested in mind as I make some touch-ups and work on the rest of it

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.