Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Crime, and unfair justice(or that's what it was to me)

Author Topic: Crime, and unfair justice(or that's what it was to me)
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a comedy. Sort of an exaggerate part of my childhood that I knew that i would look back one day and laugh out at these things. Today is that day.

The beatings in my life are countless. And I actually feel quite proud that it had taken so many to break my stubborn side. My mother and I had grown accustomed to the traditional process in which I would receive my punishment for whatever it was that I had done wrong. I had even created my own steps to survive the process:

Step one: act like a man, and make your case why you should not be punished.

“No, please! I…I swear I won’t do it again! I swear…I’ll be good!”

I would always think that my pleading got through, for she would reply in a calm voice, “So you’re not going to do it again? You promise?”

Well? What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Storygiver (edited February 13, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 14, 2006).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's considerably longer than 13 lines. By my estimation, courier 12 pt with 1" margins, it ends around "I nodded my head."

Otherwise, it could be funny. One thing to take into consideration, is that relying directly on people you know well could have negative consequences (check out OSC's Characters & Viewpoint). If you're writing for the experience and personal enjoyment, then it may not matter.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the least bit funny to me; it's gut-wrenching. Of course, that can make a good story, too.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Beating children? Not very comical to me.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I need more than just 13 lines, but it seems kind of sick to make comedy out of child abuse.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be funny if you reveal that he's not actually getting anything more than a tongue lashing during these "beatings". Given what we have of step one, that seems probable.

But you might need to establish the character a little better, both the narrator and his younger self (if this is indeed in a retrospective mode). You're jumping in too fast without creating a context, which is what's really hurting you.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence kept me from laughing. It made me feel sad and sorry for the main character. Then, when I read step one, the attempt to lighten the mood made me feel even sorrier for a person who it seemed, to me, was trying to laugh his way out of a bad situation.

I suck at comedy, so i can't tel you what would make it funny, only why it didn't work for me. Best of luck...comedy is the most difficult art to master, IMHO.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.