Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Beauty and the Geek

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a short story (1900 words), sci-fi?, suitable for children and hopefully uplifting to read...

Beauty and the Geek

It was with some trepidation that James opened the door at the top of the attic stairs and entered his dad’s workshop. Dad had passed away just one month previously when an experiment he was conducting went wrong. James cautiously walked over to the test bench and peered at the mass of cables and coils. He remembered the lightning bolt it had generated and how his father was thrown across the room. He’d rushed to his father’s side as he lay on the floor, straining to hear what he was murmuring. Dad had become silent and slipped away before the ambulance arrived.

Phil

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
Flows nicely for me. I'm not sure that I'm hooked, however.

I think I'm confused by what strikes me as an anachronistic description of the lab/workshop. "Conducting an experiment," the cables, and a few other elements make me think of a crazy scientist's/inventor's space in some 50's movie, as in Disney's (?) original "Nutty Professor," or Doc Brown's garage in the 1955 portion of "Back to the Future." Perhaps because of these associations for me, I can't escape what I feel is a comedy element to the setting, when I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intent.

For me, as a reader who doesn't know much about your story at this point, I suppose this would be cleared up either by some reference to time (if it is, in fact, a 1950's setting) or by updating the environment to feel more modern (if it's not set in the 50's).

I can't really suggest what might work better for me as a reader -- just that on my own first reading, I can't escape a feeling that this must have been about 50 years ago.

Also: "lightning bolt" strikes me as a bit out of place. While I believe I know what you mean, I would think a "lightning bolt" is clearly a natural phenomenon, triggered primarily by atmospheric/meteorological circumstances and occuring outdoors. In a workshop setting, I would personally describe it probably as an electrical arc, high-voltage discharge, or something else. Of course, describing it from a child's POV, lightning bolt may indeed make the most sense.

Seem to me that this is a prime example of the writer's challenge in describing his/her vision to a reader who comes to the story with his/her own boatload of memories and associations.

Not bad at all. Thanks for the post.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I struck me as a bit awkward considering his dad died just a month before. In a case like that, where it is unexpected and tragic, I think there would be a little bit more than "some trepidation" in going into the place where his father died, especially since he was there watching. So, while I like what you have here, perhaps add a little more emotion into it because at this point. From what I read, it felt detatched from the whole situation he is describing, which shouldn't be the case. I think adding emotion will make it more gripping and help us get some clearer first impressions on James.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello PDM,
I concur with Ethersong and Homeworld. What I think is that the story looks very promising, this would be enhanced if you tweaked it just a little .
Maybe you could start with James actually in the Lab looking around it, his Mum could be in there wondering what to do with the place? Just a thought...
Well done so far.
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Two suggestions:

MC probably knows what Dad was up to, or at least a little more detail than "an experiment." Imagine it fully, then tell us what MC knows.

You immediately go into flashback. This suggests you're starting the story in the wrong place. You might start it with finding Dad dead. If your story's going to be funny, you can skip the whole thing in one clause, and not need a flashback: "Ever since Dad had electrocuted himself in another of his quantum resonance jello experiments, James had been reluctant to enter the lab." Done.

That is: show the death, or tell it -- but halfway in between isn't as good.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, even though the slipping into flashback is well done, it isn't such a good idea right at the beginning of the story. I wouldn't start with his dad's death at all. It gives that event way too much importance, there is no way the story can be about anything else if you start with it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you for the posts guys. Very helpful (as usual!) and I take some encouragement as it appears I might be making progress since writing Alien World!

From what you said, I can see ways it can be improved, finding the viewpoints of others vital.

Many thanks again, and a re-write will occur soon-ish.

Phil

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.