Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Beauty and the Geek Mk2

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek Mk2
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
Sooner than I thought. Perhaps not all earlier comments catered for.

I think the distinction between a lab and electronics workshop is minimal since most electronic projects are pretty experimental anyway!

Beauty and the Geek

It was with trepidation that James opened the door at the top of the attic stairs and entered his dad’s electronics workshop. Holding back the tears, James cautiously walked over to the test bench and peered at the mass of cables and coils. He remembered the huge spark it had generated and how his elderly father was thrown across the room. He’d rushed to his father’s aide as he lay on the floor, straining to hear what he was murmuring, but Dad had become silent and slipped away before the ambulance arrived. James didn’t know exactly what it was, but after three years of experiments in psychology Dad had felt sure he was on the verge of a major scientific discovery.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than set up for the flashback, just start with the scene in the flashback then jump forward into your story.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Ok like the other person before said.. its confusing how you all of a sudden jump into the flash back. SO maybe define more clearly that its a flashback or start with it at the beggining. Also, the very first sentence there is a word which you used and i cant spell it or say it but it may make you feel smart but noone knows what it is so it just sems like your showing off. No offense.
Its good other than that!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
This is okay too, all I would do is introduce the flashback maybe;
...cables and coils. The last time he was in the room...
The first moments could be 'trepidation that James paused...'
Tell me to shut up! I'm nitpicking...
Overall this is a start that would hook a reader.
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I agree with the first person. And x_nikki_x, trepidation is when there is dread, or alarm. It could also mean that someone is scared, and is trembling. Also, it could mean fear. So, actually, most people know that word. Just to let you know...
Anyways, the plot seems promising. So, please, post more. I would love to hear it.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.