Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Beauty and the Geek Mk3

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek Mk3
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this better re: flashback etc.? TIA! Phil

Twelve months ago, Dad had passed away while an electronic experiment he was conducting went wrong. James remembered the flash and how his elderly father was thrown across the room. He’d rushed to his father’s aide as he lay on the floor, but Dad had become silent and slipped away before the ambulance had arrived. It was therefore with great trepidation that James opened the door at the top of the attic stairs and entered Dad’s workshop. Holding back the tears, he cautiously walked over to the test-bench and peered at the mass of cables and coils exactly as Dad had left them. Had he really been on the verge of a great scientific discovery?

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I read the first two chapters and maybe help you clear up this beginning? Maybe I'd be able to do something. It still sounds rather awkward. I had some time free up this weekend so you can send it to me.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Your flashback is now even more immediate. It will take some work, and it may feel unnatural, but why not try it without flashback? I've been "forced" (by an editor) to do this, and it really helped.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdm_joker
Member # 3187

- posted      Profile for pdm_joker           Edit/Delete Post 
Beauty and the Geek v3.0 (no flashback)

It was with some trepidation that James opened the door at the top of the stairs and entered his dad’s workshop. The door hadn’t been opened in nine months since the night his dad had died and it felt like walking into a grave. James had been asked to clear the room so that Mum, who couldn’t bear to clear it herself, could move into a flat. It was only by coincidence that James had been there when his dad was electrocuted. He was taking him up a coffee and something to eat. Dad had been too engrossed in his work even to appear for meals, which was completely out of character. Maybe he really had been on the brink of a major scientific discovery that night that he died.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
This is still flashback. No flashback would be to immediately describe what he's doing in the attic. Maybe get away with mentioning why he'd been sent up there--to clear out the attic.

Why can't you just start with his father dying? Then cut to the future with some transition like "James wouldn't open the attic door again until, nine months after he'd watched his father lowered into the ground, his mum asked if he would clear the workshop out...." Then immediately into him entering the attic and what he finds there. At this point, you could have James wonder whether or not his dad was on the verge of a discovery without having to launch into backstory.

[This message has been edited by apeiron (edited February 19, 2006).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.