Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy short story

Author Topic: Fantasy short story
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited to include the centaur and wolf in the second paragraph.

Tain's hooves pounded the dusty road, his breath coming in short gasps as he raced for safety. Shia kept pace beside him, her tongue lolling from her mouth as she, too, exerted her last efforts. The sun was just touching the top of the hills and they must reach the keep before nightfall.

The centaur and the wolf crossed the bridge, running neck and neck until they pulled up heaving for breath in the courtyard. Tain bent his head down with his hands on his waist for a few moments trying to catch his breath. Shia dropped to the ground panting. Looking up at Tain, she wagged her bushy tail.

"Almost didn't make it," she said between gasps. A guttural laugh came up from her deep chest.

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 19, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 21, 2006).]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
OH! Are these centaurs we're reading about? If not, then it's kind of confusing. :O But I liked it, good opening IMO.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Half right. Tain is a centaur and Shia is a wolf. The odd couple, I guess. The next paragraph makes this clear, but it went past the 13 lines.

I'm wondering if I should get the words centaur and wolf in those first 13. I kind of want it to be a surprise in the next paragraphs as the background of the relationship is developed.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a good beginning and rather interesting--mainly because I want to know from what they are running from.

As far as distinguishing (sp?lol) them, I would appreciate a full description of them so I can gauge how they look like within the next few paragraphs. But I don't think its absolutely necessary at the beginning.

I also think the first sentence would be a bit more engaging if you combined the first to sentences--Tain's hooves pounded the dusty road, his breath coming in short gasps as he raced for safety.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Good change about combining the two sentences. I'll do that.

Thanks.

By the way, if anybody want to read the story (about 2000 words), I'll be happy to send it on. Between posting this fragment and now, I've written the first draft and would love to share it. It's my first fantasy story, so I'm interested in what people think.

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 19, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV.

++ it'll solve your description problem.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Two suggestions:

* Tell us up front what the creatures are. THey know. Why shouldn't we?

* They seem to be just having fun. OK, but it might grip me more if they have a problem to struggle with (and they'll need to soon, anyway).

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Survivor: I'm not sure I understand your rather brief comment.

I'm not sure I have a description problem. In these <13 lines, I have:

Tain hooves
Tain hands on kness
A little cryptic, but Tain is a hooved creature with hands
Both are running, neck-and-neck so both are swift or at least equally speedy creatures.

Shia lolling tongue
Shia panting
Shia wagging bushy tail
Shia looks up at Tain
Shia has guttural laugh
Less cryptic. Shia sure seems canine

I'm not sure what else I could do in 13 lines to be more descriptive.

I'm not arguing, just puzzled as to the comment. POV? Isn't the POV an outsider observer? Should the POV be either Tain or Shia? Maybe so, though I'm not certain that would add to the story.

Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Marva,
I'm interested in the story simply because you are using such aa 'odd couple'! I'll give you my considered opinion seeing as its a short story, send it asap.
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
POV is rarely (these days) an outside observer. It doesn't HAVE to be Tain or Shia--you could do omniscient, or narrator, for example. But you probably don't want to try those unless you feel very confident in your POV skills (which, judging from the fact that you asked the question, you probably shouldn't.) What Survivor meant was, figure out WHOSE point of view this story is from, and all description should be from their viewpoint. Once you know the POV, you'll know what to describe.

As for "Tain bent with his hands on his knees...." The hands clued me in that this was probably a centaur, but the knees threw me out again, since horses don't have knees. "...running neck and neck" suggests that they were at (or nearly at) the same height. "Looking up" does nothing to dispel this, since Shia has already dropped to the ground. I wouldn't expect a horse's tongue to loll from his or her mouth, but a centaur's might. The only thing that really said "non-centaur" to me about Shia was "dropped to the ground" and "her bushy tail," but, you know, these could be centaur-like creatures, with knees and bushy tails, who don't mind lying down when they're tired. Which is pretty much what I'd concluded by the end of the passage.

quote:
I kind of want it to be a surprise in the next paragraphs...
Why? If it's cool that they're a centaur and a wolf, let us know up front so we can go "Cool!" If it's not cool, why should we be pleased to be surprised by the knowledge?

Actually, though, despite all the above criticism, I think you almost have what you want here. I don't think you need to say "centaur" and "wolf" if your descriptions are sufficiently unambiguous. Drop the knees, and give us a few more unambiguous clues about Shia, and it would be clear to me. (By the way, the main problem I had about Shia is the strong presumption going in that, whatever Tain was, Shia would be the same thing. All your other descriptions of Shia seemed very wolfy (except maybe the guttural laugh from the deep chest--that one just didn't mean much of anything to me, since I've never heard anything laugh but people). What you really have to make clear there is that they're different beasts.

And, of course, you have to do that from your chosen POV.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Rick: Thanks, thanks. This is now quite clear on what the brief POV statement of survivor means. I'll really appreciate the detail.

Oh, by the way, horses have knees on their front legs and hocks on the back. But maybe most people don't know that.

Johnmac: I'll send you a copy. Thanks for asking. It will be 'as is' so maybe you could suggest some POV changes. Thanks.

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
What wbriggs said.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you *do* need to say "centaur" and "wolf." Don't make us puzzle it out. Consider Shia. She can't be a wolf; wolves don't talk. You can have a talking wolf, but you have to *tell* us. We don't know the rules of the world you're in. Tain is even tougher. Tain could be a centaur, or a satyr, or a being from Alpha Centauri, or a mad scientist's experiment. They could both be escapees from the Island of Dr. Moreau. We have no way of knowing until you tell us.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: knees. Yes, they're called knees on the front legs of horses, though anatomically they correspond with the wrist (and the hock with the heel). They're not true knees, with kneecaps for example, and I do think that non-horse people might find the term confusing, especially when coupled with "hands". Besides, a horse's "knees" seem a bit low for a centaur to reach to put him in a comfortable, resting position. The shoulder, on the other hand, seems a bit high (besides, "he bent with his hands on his shoulders" sounds really strange, LOL). Maybe the elbows, but they won't give much support, and "hands on his elbows" just sounds like he crossed his arms.

All that aside, the reason humans bend down to put their hands on their knees is to rest their thighs by putting some of their body weight on their arms (or perhaps to throw up, depending on just HOW hard they've been running). This doesn't work for horse anatomy. (Well, at least not the "resting" bit. If you want to have Tain throw up, that's a different issue. )

PS: regarding using the words "centaur" and "wolf". I'm not opposed to it. What I want is clarity. If you can make it clear without the words, that's fine. It isn't necessarily better. My feeling is that, if you're in Tain's POV, you should use the word "wolf" and get across the centaur more subtly. If you're in Shia's, you should use the word "centaur" and be less direct about wolf. Either character is quite likely to think of the other by type, but less likely to think of themself that way.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited February 20, 2006).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Thanks for all your comments. They are quite helpful, of course. I'll ponder all this in view of the rest of the story.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about making everyone else explain everything
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor is always cryptic. It's what he does best.

I'll read if you like: buce@charter.net, use Hatrack in the subject header.

--Susan

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marva,

I think I may just be amplyfing what has already been said. Tain running on hooves was confusing without some indication that he is not human. I think it comes across fairly well that his companion is some non-human canine though. Because I didn't know that Tain was non-human, the first sentance was confusing and disorientating. I may not have slugged through to the explination as a result.

Also, you may want to do some research on horse anatomy. Tain might place his hand on his "waist" (where the human and horse sections meet) but not his "knees." He's on four hooves so the whole concept of bending over to catch his breath doesn't work. When a horse has run too hard, his/her nostrils flare and sides heave. If the thing that has made then run is upsetting, horses will often vocalize thier concern by snorting or "blowing." But then horse descriptions need to ring truer with me than most people since I've been around horses most of my life.

The running seems a bit out of place with their more relaxed discussion. Though I would be (and am) willing to read further to find out what the rush was about.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

Everybody has given some really good input on the opener. I really do appreciate it.

kings_falcon: I think the hands on the waist instead of the knees would be good. If you would like to read, send me email as you don't have your email posted.

Mostly I wanted to indicate that he's breathing hard from running. I do want to have both hooves and hands to show that Tain is a centaur. Maybe I do need to come right out and say "Tain the centaur" and "Shia the wolf". I edited to include those species in the second paragraph.

It's interesting that I'm getting the same 'hit' here as I used to from users when writing technical documentation. If whatever they wanted was not on the first page, they couldn't seem to find it. Heaven forbid that they use the TOC or Index. Anyway, everything cannot go in the first thirteen lines, but it's wise to pick and choose what should. You guys have all given me some good thoughts about that.

[This message has been edited by Marva (edited February 21, 2006).]

dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolves and Centaurs. "Narnia" inspired?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

No on Narnia inspiration. I had this idea circulating before I saw the movie. I've never read the books. However, it was nice that Narnia confirmed my fantasy idea of sentient wolves and 'civilized' centaurs. Then, again, now everybody will think I stole it and I really, really didn't. I'll go with the great minds theory.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.