Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fisher of Fire

Author Topic: Fisher of Fire
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy, 1600 words, readers for the whole thing.

Gerald soured even the happiest days like Christmas. Initially, it was believed to be because of his face, with hundreds of scars that covered his whole head like a fisherman's net. The other children in the orphanage avoided him, though not because he was ugly. There was something about him that made bad things happen to people. Sister Marissa thought the other orphans were just being mean.

The nun caught Gerald moping by the window while the other children played “Duck, Duck, Goose.” She walked over to the boy and put her hand on his shoulder.

“Don't you want to play with the others, Gerald?”

“No,” he whispered. “I don't want to hurt them.”

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not really grabbing me--that first paragraph is a bit dry and needs a POV--who's the narrator? It is pretty short. Send it to me and I'll look at it. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What grabbed me was the last line.

Nits:

You're telling us twice what *isn't* happening: what was initially believed, and "not because he was ugly." Tell us what *is* happening.

That first line makes Gerald seem sour. Pick another way of saying what he does to Christmas?

The nun -> Sister Marissa. (Just a little clearer.)

I'll read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this has a lot of potential. The last line is especially hooking. It makes me wonder about this kid. Has he been told he was dangerous for so long that he believes it himself? Or does he not have any control over what ever it is that makes him dangerous? It's clear from the fact that he doesn't want to play with them that he doesn't want to hurt them. Questions like that will keep the reader reading.

The first sentence doesn't work for me. Where does Christmas come into the story? Perhaps, there's a better way to say that he wasn't a happy child.

Now, I'm not sure what POV it is. If it was Gerald's then the reader would know what ever is wrong with him that causes the bad things. But then he wouldn't know what Sister Marissa thought unless she told him.
But if it was told from Sis. Marissa's view then she wouldn't know that he wasn't happy or what he believed.
Also, how old is the child? From his thoughts, it seems like he is an older child. But They are playing Duck, Duck, Goose, which I think of younger children playing. It is a bit confusing.

Good luck with it--I think it has a great hook.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look it over if you like.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit fuzzy in the first portion, the POV seems a bit confusing. Are you trying to describe a scene or event? Or set up the POV? Perhaps clarifying the POV would help it; I remember OSC's opening to, I THINK, "Ender's Shadow" about Bean, how he didn't have it right until he'd shown Bean through someone else's POV first.
When I read this, I think the POV should naturally be from Sister Marissa. As someone who obviously works with children, possibly troubled children, she may actually notice that Gerald is unhappy or that the other children shy away from him. The fact that he's there at Christmas, to've established that he darkens it prior to this year in the story, seems to indicate that he's been in the orphanage for a while. I think it completely plausable for Sister Marissa to notice his unhappiness and the wariness of the child. Is he a child though, or is he older than that?
I think the story's good so far, though it might be useful to start the story earlier, perhaps with Gerald coming to the orphanage or, from the nun's POV, when she receives charge of Gerald, what does she notice about the boy? What does she assume caused the scarring? etc..
Perhaps during those earlier years you could give examples for what he does that's unpleasant to the others?
I like it. It reminds me of several books I like already. I'll definitely read it.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.