Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short, fun story...

Author Topic: Short, fun story...
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
brb....

[This message has been edited by Leaf II (edited February 23, 2006).]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hooked. I'm a little confused why his gums are bleeding, and why it'd be because of an alligator. Alligators usually bite, so I'd be thinking it's more than gums that are injured, unless the gator whacked him in the face with his tail, whatever. Or is the gator a person, and that's just the title he goes by? If that's the case, the name should be capitalized, but as it is, I have no clue what's going on.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I disagree with Ray. I think the first two sentences are a good hook. It's wanting the answer to the questions they create (which Ray asked above) that holds th reader in.

You lose me on the second paragraph. However, send away. I'll be happy to give the whole story a look.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leaf II said:
brb....

[This message has been edited by Leaf II (edited February 23, 2006).]

I dunno about this - it seems a bit terse. Opening with an Internet colloquialism is an added risk as well. If it were LOL it might be more interesting. BRB is okay as a hook - I mean, who is this, where is he going, and when will he be back? It generates lots of questions already. On the other hand, LOL has these: Who's laughing? What's he laughing about? Is it happy laughing, insane laughing or relief laughing? When will he stop? Is it the narrator laughing or the POV character? Would LOL make a good name for a rock band?

I'd avoid HAND and YMMV like the plague. Glad you didn't fall into those traps.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
HHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

Oh man. +20 points. That was funny. No... I had a story up, but I took it down for a sec...

fuuuny though.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
trousercuit, I think I'm gonna like you...
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.