Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » college application essay

Author Topic: college application essay
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,
It has been a while since I have last checked in. I have an application due in a week, can anyone please review my essay? Here are the first 13 lines:

Three thin grey shadows mellowed on the creamy curves of desert sand. The exaggeratedly elongated shadows formed the union of my father, mother, and older sister. My own slight nine-year old shadow lay hooked to my feet some way behind the others. My insomnious body trudged on reluctantly as the meager shreds of sunlight filtered through the clouds, barely lit up the coming day.

I spat a look that could curdle fresh camel milk as I stepped on the foremost part of my father’s shadow. Kicking the ghostly sand with my bare foot, I wished myself back safe and warm under the sheltered tent -but my father would have us meandering before the break of dawn in this abominable cold…

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an essay? Reads like a story -- I don't understand.

It's hard for me to judge this as a college app material. How hifalutin is the college, and are you planning a creative writing major, or English, or something else? At my college, we'd be happy at your apparently flawless grasp of mechanics, and your ability to think in metaphor, and to put emotion in.

If this were pop fiction, though, I'd say it's sort of tough going. I had to work to get through the descriptions to what you were showing. (Maybe this is a plus in college apps?)

If it were pop fiction, beyond that, I'd suggest
* "I spat a look": I can't picture this. "Gave a look" or "spat a curse" would work.
* I'd be hooked earlier if I knew MC was angry at Dad immediately (if that's what the story's about?)
* The cold took me by surprise. Tell us as soon as we know where we are

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, specifics of the "essay" requirement are needed.

Right now, I can only say that the opening convinces me quite clearly that the narrator is making this all up, it doesn't seem consistent or plausible. If this is supposed to be non-fiction, that could be a major problem. Even for fiction, it's a no-no.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

Its Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar, and they're lookin for a personal essay that describes your charcteristics and background in general, so yes it's nonfiction. Thanks for your comments

What is popfiction?

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Popular fiction.

Oops. Now I get it. Thing is, you're writing a nonfiction bio as if it were creative fiction. I don't know your admissions board, but I wouldn't. I'd do plain, expository writing, without an attempt to be artistic -- like a newspaper article or column. Facts, and everything reaching to the appropriate conclusion, which is that you'd be a good student at Georgetown.

Good luck!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've no idea whether what you're doing is a good idea or not.

But from a technical standpoint, the repetition of "shadow" in each of the first three sentences doesn't work for me, and nor did "insomnious", and nor did the idea of "spitting" a look.
And I think you should use "lighting" rather than "lit" at the end of the first paragraph, unless you hive it off separately.

On the other hand, the first sentence is effective and emotive, and I definitely get a strong sense of place and mood from what you've got so far.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

My impression of this is that you are simply trying too hard to write it and give it "color" and as a result you are tripping over your own prose. Write it simply. Less is more:

"My insomnious body trudged on reluctantly as the meager shreds of sunlight filtered through the clouds, barely lit up the coming day."

How about:

"Exhausted, I forced myself to walk through dappled morning sunlight."

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

Ok I guess I get it now, I have completely changed the intro, is anyone willing to read the whole thing for revision? It will be about a page and half when I'm done with it today.

thanks for the comments everyone.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with wbriggs. While I am not a University Admissions official, my impression of a personal bio written in this manner would be unfavorable. Instead of coming across as unique and creative, it would strike me as pompous and missing the point.

There are times it is to your benefit to swim against the current, and other times it's best to go with the flow. Go with the accepted format. Save the creative nonfiction in your writing for your creative writing class.

If you are not certain what the University is asking of you, call them and ask for some clarity around the assignment. Secretaries answer the phone and are some of the most knowlegeable and helpful people in the world.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, sometimes you have to get creative for your app to stand out above the slush (even universities seem to have slush piles...sigh). I used a narrative intro to my essay (it wasn't all narrative--I don't think that'd fly) for my MIT app, and I got in just fine...then again, they may have just been happy I can string a grammatically correct sentence together. So I don't think using narrative will hurt you, only make your app more personal.

As for your narrative, the only thing that I didn't like was all the adjectives. Too thick to wade through while I was trying to see what the point of it all was.

Good luck! Georgetown University is a tough school to get into, as I understand it.

[This message has been edited by apeiron (edited March 06, 2006).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
There are simply too many adjectives. They muddle your narrative. Strike them down.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...adjectives...Its the same problem I'm running into with my story (Sunborn). They jumped all over me for it, all for a very good reason. In an attempt to be too pretty we come out like thick molasses. And no one likes molasses. At least no one I've heard of.

Since no one else seems to be volunteering, I'll read your essay. ethersong@gmail.com

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I like molasses, but it's for hot toast with melting butter, not putting into your writing.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

Just so you guys know, he just sent me an email with the recquirement and since he doesn;t seem to want to post it...

The Admissions Committee would like to know more about you in your own words. Please submit a brief essay, either autobiographical or creative, which you feel best describes you. (limit 3700 characters)

I think he's going the creative route here. In case you didn't notice.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

Thanks Ether

Just so you know I'm a she not a he. It's just that I found no use in posting it since no one was volunteering to read the whole thing anyways.

ethersong
Member # 3216

Just reading over you're paper and I'll go ahead and say this here. I really like it--really shows me that you've lead a very distinguished (sp??) and fascinating life. However, if you don't mind, I'd like to see what you originally had with that beginning you posted on here cause I think the beginning you had in the version you sent me may be a little weak.

The reason I say that is because you start out talking about how there is no trace of you left in the world and I don't think that that topic is big and significant enough as far as dealing with what the college wants to know about you. I do think you should include it, just maybe not as a start. Plus, it doesn't flow as well into the background of your life.

What it looks like you want to do here is introduce a scene that tells a bit about you in present tense. Then you want to do a little self-analysis. I think its a good idea. However, I think the guys on here may have scared your emotion off a bit too much. There are some parts where I still feel like I can reach in and understand you while in other parts I feel like its a bland history.

So take that in consideration. I know you said its due in a week..which is probrably within the next couple days now...so I'll go ahead and add my comments onto it and send it back along with this post in case you don't check this anytime soon.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Vatyme - it's possible no-one volunteered to read the whole thing because they felt uncomfortable in terms of how to comment without the context of the essay guidelines?
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't have time one way or the other, but I certainly would have needed the guidelines to give clear feedback.

In this case, since the essay is supposed to reveal information about an actual person (you) it is better if the first person character doesn't seem patently unrealistic. If you'd like to write yourself into a fictional situation, that's interesting, but the character should still be a person that could be recognized as you. A simple, non-narrative essay describing your beliefs, values, and abilities doesn't have to be boring either. It could be very creative.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.