Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled short story

Author Topic: Untitled short story
Angfla
Member # 2904

- posted      Profile for Angfla   Email Angfla         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a short story I wrote a couple of months ago. I would have to say the genre is horror. There are 3,438 words in the whole story.

Alex rounded the corner of 90th and Hearst and came to a standstill. She observed for a moment the crowd of protesters clustered in front of the clinic.

She hitched her purse up on her shoulder and took the first of the steps that would take her directly into the midst of the crowd. She had agonized too long over this decision to turn back now.

A few more feet and she was right in the middle of the crush, shoving and pushing her way through to the front door.

"Choose life; your parents did," a women wearing a gold cross around her neck shouted into Alex's face.

Alex wanted to shout back at her, "They sure did, you stupid witch and that's why neither of my parents went to college and

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 14, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Angfla (edited March 14, 2006).]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming the first sentence should read "Alex rounded the corner of 90th and Hearst..."

"Observed" is a very distant word to use, it implies detachment and a lack of emotion, which doesn't fit with what happens after. I think it would work better as a run-on, and with a plainer verb - "and came to a standstill when she saw the crowd of protesters..."

I'm not hooked, because I'm really not convinced I want to read a story that's dealing with one side or the other of the abortion debate. There's so much on this topic out there (and, frankly, it's none of my business, because I'm never going to have an abortion...) that I find it difficult to believe that the story will shed any new light on the subject. Of course, the story may not actually be about abortion (you suggest the genre might be horror, though you don't sound sure) - but I don't know that at this point.

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited March 14, 2006).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angfla
Member # 2904

Thanks for your critique and pointing out the typos. I posted this in a bit of a hurry.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Angfla

First I was thrown when Alex turned out to be female.

(First speedbump)

She had agonized too long over this decision to turn back now.

It sounds like her decision was to 'turn back now.'
(Second speedbump) I'd rewrite that line.

I don't think I would read on for the very reason that it feels a bit preachy. It may prove not to be, but it certainly does now with Alex reacting so aggressively. In so few lines she comes across as fairly unsympathetic, when I think her strong-will was supposed to be a strength/sympathetic trait. Resolve doesn't have to be aggressive.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
She had agonized too long over this decision to turn back now.

What decision? She knows. Tell us!

I do suggest you alter Alex to Alexis, or something -- it's just easier.

You've already run afoul of people wanting to avoid the abortion issue, so if that isn't what your story is about, you might somehow let us know this. I'm not sure how, not knowing your story.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giggles
Member # 3279

- posted      Profile for giggles   Email giggles         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the real story is about, but there is not enough of a clench at this point to keep me reading either. However, if she turned to the witch in the crowd and instead of shouting about college shouted something like "what did she know about raising a baby vampire or werewolf" (turn this into urban fantasy/horror) I would keep reading. Just an idea to ponder.

Chrissie

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angfla
Member # 2904

Thanks everyone.

I've decided there are too many problems with this particular story to even try to rewrite it. However, I am going to do another post with the beginning of a novel I'm working on. Feedback on that would be appreciated.

Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
The story sounds great, but everything happens so suddenly that it starts getting crammed. You should put in a little more un-needed detail to space it out a bit, and maybe even instead of a short story, write a novel!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.