Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Children's humourous story.

Author Topic: Children's humourous story.
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not written yet, but the things it includes are;
An olive named Olive,
A booger monster,
A crab named Claude,
A meatball tree,
And Granny Granola

Have any ideas for a plot?

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
What, exactly, are you looking for from us? I personally don't like to regurgitate a bunch of plot ideas. My theory is that if the writer can't even come up with a plot, maybe they should be trying crochet as a hobby instead of writing.

So, maybe come up with a few lines of manuscript and let us have a go at those... 13 lines should be enough...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Chocolate
Member # 3301

- posted      Profile for Hot Chocolate   Email Hot Chocolate         Edit/Delete Post 
"My theory is that if the writer can't even come up with a plot, maybe they should be trying crochet as a hobby instead of writing."

Be fair. Everyone gets writer's block now and then.

Okay, I won't give you a plot, but I'll try to help you figure one out.

Now, with my personal experience with children, I have found they like toilet humour. LOVE toilet humour. Of course, this wouldn't be a plot, but if you want to get them laughing, well, there's your ticket.

If you've never written a children's story before, take a look at a few. See how they're written. Robert Munsch wrote wonderful stories. I absolutely loved them, even when I was too old for them. Take a look at a few of his stories. Maybe go to the library and find some. See what's appealing with them, and try to add that sort of thing into your story. Don't take his plot, mind you, but I think that would be really helpful to you. Take notes, if it helps. If you've got a younger brother or sister, ask them what they want in a story. Siblings can be more help than they're given credit for.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Hot Chocolate (edited March 20, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Hot Chocolate (edited March 20, 2006).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, I won't give you a plot, but I'll try to help you figure one out.

... this is assuming I WANT to figure out a plot for YOUR story. Or that I want to write children's literature or YA lit. Which I don't. I have a plenty "good 'nuff" plot going in my OWN story. Which is a fantasy story for adults.

Guess I'll pass on the opportunity to help you past your writer's block.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, all right.

That said, this might be better discussed in a different forum.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a legitimate topic. It's not a fragment. But I can give feedback.

You can come up with a plot with this method (at least, everyone else who tries it can!):

* Pick an MC. Man or woman? Age? In the case of F/SF: species?

* What might happen to MC?

Then repeat these questions:
...what happens then?
...why did that happen?
...what else could happen? (A good one, since the first idea is likely to be cliched.)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget the always useful "what could go wrong?"
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FastCat
Member # 3281

- posted      Profile for FastCat           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had lots of ideas for plots but never one with a booger monster. You have to get to the bottom of what the motivations for the booger monster are. Does he feel anger at his low station, is that why he became a monster in the first place. Could this be a child's version of Phantom of the Opera?

But I agree with others that this is the wrong forum.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The booger monster is occupied with two things, obtaining fresh boogers and...um, sharing boogers already obtained.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
with my personal experience with children, I have found they like toilet humour. LOVE toilet humour

As a mother of four I actually avoid books with this kind of humor for my kids. A little booger humor is one thing but "potty talk" is not appreciated by mommies the world over. You might want to search for deeper meat.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did I think Veggie tales?
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, what has happened, is that Claude, wants some pants, but doesn't know where to get any. Olive, is going to show Claude where to get some, (Meatball Tree), and Olive also wants knees and elbows so she doesn't have to waddle everywhere. I think the booger monster is going to be guarding the meatball tree or something... I'll type it out when I have it here, and when I have time! (Yeah, I have a nephew who just LOVES bathroom humor, and yes, there are some parents who would just rarther keep their kids away from it, I do understand!) Enjoy! (And comment!)
Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.