Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » SimonSays

Author Topic: SimonSays
SimonSays
Member # 3307

- posted      Profile for SimonSays   Email SimonSays         Edit/Delete Post 
This is part of the prologue to an urban fantasy/horror novel that's been marinating in my mind for the last ten years or so.Working title:"The Snow White Succubus"("God's Game":book1)Does it capture your interest? Chapter scenes(a couple hundred words max.)and more prologue,are available on request. [quote] "God does not play dice"[Albert Einstein] [quote] ..."But he sure plays a mean game of chess"![Steve Simon]

"A piece moved"!
"Show me,Father"...
"See,Sister"."I'm old,not senile".
"A pawn...that's all"?
"He,was once a pawn too you know",he said,gesturing to a crucifix on a nearby wall.
"The board is your responsibility,father"."What do you see"?
"The pawn...it's grown","It's larger than the other pawns".
"You're right"."I didn't notice".
"The siver is cleaner too,not as corrupted...
and she's moving,here.Soon."
"She"? "How does it, become she"?,she asked,
pointing to the pawn.

[This message has been edited by SimonSays (edited March 21, 2006).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ico
Member # 3303

- posted      Profile for Ico   Email Ico         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a lot of trouble following the dialogue, maybe due to formatting issues. Start a new paragraph with every change in the speaker; you should never have quotes on the same line like this: "See,Sister"."I'm old,not senile".

Who is talking? Did the speaker change, or is it only an error and the speaker simply began a new sentence? Also, punctuation goes inside quotation marks, rather than outside. You can edit your post to deal with the format of this dialogue, and that will make it more comprehensible.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archon
Member # 3273

- posted      Profile for Archon   Email Archon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it did catch my interest, and although I understand what's going on on the most part, a bit of padding around the dialogue would help the flow a bit and give a stronger feel of the characters and of the strange chess board.

You need to go through what you have and fix the punctuation, like what Ico said. It looks to me that you left spaces open to put in something like 'said Daniel,' but you didn't, like with: "See,Sister"."I'm old,not senile".

Cheers,
Cassie

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Waaay too much dialogue without some narration. Other than the fact that a chess board and pieces are being discussed, I haven't a clue what's going on. Tag the dialogue with some names at the very least so we get some idea of who's who and exactly how many people are here.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me you've posted this before and haven't made any of the suggested changes. As a result, you are getting the same kind of feedback.
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SimonSays
Member # 3307

- posted      Profile for SimonSays   Email SimonSays         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kings_Falcon, This (is) the original post. I assume the moderator moved it. I posted an edit with a new topic heading; "Snow White Succubus" ("God's Game" book:1)] approx. 3 hours after that post. My first edit was grammar/punctuation based... I wanted to see if that cleared up who's saying what to whom first.I also deleted a line,and created a compound sentence with another. You posted a reply to that edit,so I don't see how you can claim I made no changes. I am, however, playing around with a scene/dialog version of the prologue.
I also completed a (full) response to (all) the critiquers, but lost it after I switched to work offline...I clicked 'post reply',and a cannot connect screen popped up. There was no way back to my text. That was very depressing.(It took all day to write/type) Luckily, I write notes on paper before I type...So all was not lost. I do appreciate the time you and the others took to read and reply to my prologue,and will compose and type out that reply again soon. Steve

Posts: 38 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that makes sense. I'll look forward to reading the re-write.
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.