Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Daughter of the River King, @2400 words, fantasy

Author Topic: Daughter of the River King, @2400 words, fantasy
Po
Member # 3336

- posted      Profile for Po           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just looking for feedback.

Delta always remembered what it was like to walk upon two feet, even when she felt the least human. Yet, she always felt the call of the water in her human form. She could deny neither part of herself, fish or woman. Neither could she be entirely one or the other.

It felt to Delta that this was as it had always been, but there had been a time when she was woman only. Her memories told her of growing up a girl-child, playing in the tall grasses and trees and chasing other children down a cobbled lane to a house- her home-; of being swung in circles by a large bluff man she knew to be her father, the River King.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to compliment you on your clarity. I know exactly what's happening.

What's going on with Delta seems rather abstract -- she's just reflecting on things, without any real concrn. What's the struggle in the story going to be about? If you tell us in the first few lines, we'll have a reason to keep reading, and see how it turns out.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with wbriggs in part -- I do not believe that you need to give us THE conflict in the first few lines, just A confrlict. That, you have done beautifully. This is a person struggling with two halves of herself, and that is intriguing enough for me to go on and find out more. In fact, in the end that may be the biggest conflict and the key to the resolution, although I would still expect more meat to the story.

Either way, I had no problem with this opening at all. I'll give you a blanket thumbs up.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Hygge   Email Hygge         Edit/Delete Post 
Only a small observation, using the words "felt" and "neither" twice in back-to-back sentences. It stopped the flow a little bit for me, but nothing serious. It did make sense and tweaked interest in reading more.

[This message has been edited by Hygge (edited April 05, 2006).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with wbriggs in that the story seems a little abstract so far (I disagree with him about the "concern.") Rather than hearing from Delta, I'm being told about Delta. While I'm interested, it's preventing me from really being drawn into the story. The information seems personal, and that makes me feel like I should be dealing with Delta, not an interloper (narrator). If you're going to change POV shortly (after the 13 lines allowed here), then that's probably fine.

I agree with Christine about the conflict.

I agree with Hygge as well, and will add the following... I don't know if there are exceptions, but I've always been taught: neither nor, either or.

quote:
She could deny neither part of herself, fish nor woman. Neither could she be entirely one nor the other.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phoenix24
Member # 3339

- posted      Profile for phoenix24   Email phoenix24         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this...if i had picked it up in a bookstore i would definetly want to keep on reading. congrats!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
pjp...you are absolutely right about the neither nor and after you mentioned it, I realized that was why I had to read that sentence twice. Just a minor nit though.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep reading. I agree with christine about the conflict between her two halves being enough of a hook.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read the first two lines three times to figure out what you were saying. The meaning is definite, but I wouldn't call it clear. The way I see it, your sin here is "always". You start us outside of any reference frame with regard to time or place, and you keep us there. It looks suspiciously like you're going to tell us the entire story of her childhood without letting us have any hint of how long ago that was other than "always" ago.

I like tension rather than conflict. Tension is created by a situation, where there is a present and several possible futures. You've started with a condition, one that is apparently timeless. No indication of potentiality.

I wouldn't keep reading. You hurtied my brain. I go lie down now.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Po
Member # 3336

- posted      Profile for Po           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to thank you all for your comments. I'm glad for those who noticed the grammar issues. I am a stickler, but I find it hard to see these things in my own writing at times.

I would especially like to say THANK YOU!!! to Survivor for putting into words something I was having a hard time defining! I have had an issue with the intro since I wrote it about two years ago, but I couldn't put my finger on just what was wrong.

Please, some feedback on a possible rewrite of:

Even when she felt the least human, Delta remembered what it was like to walk upon two feet. Yet, the water called to her when she took her human form. She couldn't deny either part of herself, fish or woman. Nor could she be entirely one or the other.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
The rewrite flows much better I think.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hygge
Member # 3313

- posted      Profile for Hygge   Email Hygge         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Much better.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...still doesn't start with a definite situation. I didn't just mean the particular word "always", but the form of the condition described. Still, taking it out does leave more of a sense that you'll get around to showing us a situation (as opposed to a memory) soon. But by soon I mean...well, soon
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I like what you have created, but get to it next.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.