Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Waking (SF, short-ish story, ~11K words)

Author Topic: The Waking (SF, short-ish story, ~11K words)
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to do a short story for a very long time, but always felt like I was forcing myself. Every time, I ended up with a sixty- to ninety-thousand word novel-length manuscript instead of a "short" story. This attempt was exactly the opposite. I had an idea that I loved, but was struggling to find the full-length novel behind it. So, I reenvisioned it as a short story, and it seemed to find legs.

It'll probably run over 10,000 words, but I hope to wrap it up before it hits 12,000. As of this posting, it's all drafted but only half-written.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
=============================

"...not supposed to dream in suspension..."

Commander Alan Morechester was certain of that. The med techs had been clear about what to expect from suspensleep, and dreaming was not a part of it. The beating red lights and wailing siren that now suffused the officers' sleep bay aboard the UNESS Ellipse weren't supposed to be part of suspensleep, either.

I'm not dreaming, he realized. I'm waking.

There was a pneumatic thwip as his sleep dish's translucent canopy unsealed in rapid, emergency release mode. The canopy retracted into a pocket in the low ceiling faster than his dulled senses could follow.

"Commander Morechester, I need your help!" shouted a woman nearby.

[This message has been edited by Homeworld (edited April 08, 2006).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting opening. It isn't the standard "character wakes up" bit that some people hate, but it gives us a good opportunity to enter the scene with that same degree of POV sympathy.

One thing I'll suggest, you could try showing us the sensations or whatever that Morechester mistook for a dream as a beginning. But I won't insist on it, what you have here works as one of those weirdly self-referential thoughts that sometimes accompany waking up.

Overall, the scene is very engaging. I feel like I'm instantly immersed in the character and his concerns. I know what he knows, and want to know things that he also wants to know.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewStein
Member # 3310

- posted      Profile for AndrewStein           Edit/Delete Post 
This is good. like survivor said, it's an engaging opening. I don't, however, like the term "suspensleep". It just doesn't flow of your mouth the way abreviations or slangs should.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. Made me feel like I was Morechester. Nice name as well.

One thing though: "suspensleep"? It's ok as long as it's a common term in your universe, but one time only, that's a no no.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I definitely like having him wake up to alarms going off.

Nit: I thought the woman screaming at this just-waking-from-suspensleep man was melodramatic. She can be tense and desperate and still not stupid -- I think it would be stupid to yell at someone in this state. Any medical personnel would certainly throw her out if she does (if there are medical personnel).

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homeworld
Member # 3136

Thanks very much for the feedback -- there are some helpful points in here that I can work with.

Somewhat off-topic, for Leigh: "Morechester" is actually taken from rearranging a local intersection: Moorpark Avenue and Winchester Boulevard. The same afternoon I came up with this, I realized that the frontage road on the opposite side of the freeway from Moorpark is Parkmoor. Kinda clever, transposing syllables like that... but why not just be really clever and spell Moorpark backwards?

Oh... because that doesn't sound so nice.

KMB

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, like a sleazy communist gambling hall, someplace where they have goons checking your papers to make sure your authorized for this illicit activity. I don't know about nice, but it certainly sounds...strange.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice bit. I agree it seems to have found its legs so far.

Minor Nit: The "UNESS" - no doubt part of the ship designation - is a bit cumbersome. I'd suggest keeping it to two or three letters maximum.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little put off by the "suspensleep waking." It reminded me too much of 2001/2010 (I forget which) and some others that have done it (Alien?). Doing it is fine, but opening with it turned me off.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homeworld
Member # 3136

Good points, as usual. This is actually what I submitted for OSC's Boot Camp this summer. The story could be a long-range prequel to the trilogy that I've also posted here and there in this forum... but I very much see this one as a short story.

I'm not totally comfortable w/ "UNESS" either. May truncate it, as krazykiter suggested. It's not like each letter makes it 20% better anyway.

Thanks again.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.