Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Homeward (SF, ~92K words)

Author Topic: Homeward (SF, ~92K words)
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
Homeward is the third story in what is currently a trilogy. It was actually the first written, starting waaaaaay back in 1989.

The manuscript is "finished" (for this week). My sincere thanks to all who offered feedback on an earlier post of Homeward's first thirteen lines. I haven't been back since then because I found that much of that feedback resonated throughout the manuscript and throughout its two prequels as well... which found me going through about a quarter of a million words.

Once again, thanks in advance for any feedback.

=============================

Time was critical. Davis Alexander flew the craft to the limit of its capabilities, and to the limit of his own. He repeatedly glanced aside at his younger sister, Teil, unconscious in the passenger seat beside him. She'd been missing for days before he found her. She was critically dehydrated, but it wasn't dehydration that threatened to kill her.

He tapped a call code into his linker. "I've got her, Seline," he said quickly. "She's alive, but I don't know how long she was off her meds."

"Where was she?"

"Out at the old retreat. We're almost to Kenmai now."

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

He closed the link as the main tower of the Kenmai Military Hospital

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It is usually considered a good idea to post your stories one at a time. This is a busy board and many people want to have their stories critiqued.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Much clearer than last time. There are still some confusions separating me from the story.

Time was critical. Davis Alexander flew the craft to the limit of its capabilities, and to the limit of his own. He repeatedly glanced aside at his younger sister, Teil, unconscious in the passenger seat beside him. She'd been missing for days before he found her. She was critically dehydrated, but it wasn't dehydration that threatened to kill her[: IT WAS THE LACK OF INSULIN]. [<-- THAT IS, DON'T MAKE ME PUT UP A "?" MARKER; TELL ME NOW.]

He tapped a call code into his linker. "I've got her, Seline," he said quickly. [HE CALLS SELINE BY HER FIRST NAME. WHAT IS THEIR RELATIONSHIP?] "She's alive, but I don't know how long she was off her meds."

"Where was she?"

"Out at the old retreat.[" THE BAPTIST RETREAT, WHERE THEY'D ALL MET, BACK IN COLLEGE. "]We're almost to Kenmai now." [THE NEAREST HOSPITAL, AT A MILITARY BASE.] [THAT IS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE OLD RETREAT OR KENMAI IS. YOU COULD ALSO REPLACE "KENMAI" WITH "THE HOSPITAL" IF YOU DON'T WANT US TO WONDER WHAT KENMAI IS.]

"I'll be there as soon as I can." [NOT A HARD NEED, BUT I WOULD LIKE MORE OF HIS ATTITUDE. IS HE RELIEVED THAT SELINE IS COMING? ANNOYED? WHAT ABOUT SIS: HOW DID HE KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR HER? I'LL WANT TO KNOW SOON.]

He closed the link as the main tower of the Kenmai Military Hospital

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...you dropped the vehicle type again. This time it doesn't have a name, so I don't know why you do that.

A lot of nits...some issues that survive from previous reads, overall it feels a little more vague than would draw me in.

You can fly a vehicle to it's limits, or you can push your own limits as a pilot. Unless you're attempting something intrinsically foolish like flying through a hurricane or a forest, these tend not to go together. If he's flying through a violent storm, say so.

You still don't say what is threatening to kill Teil. Just say it, the tension is produced by wondering whether she'll live or die, not by wondering whether her life is really in all that much danger. If you're going to try and stretch out the reveal on her illness to the end of the story, I'm not reading anyway, and if you aren't doing that, then you gain nothing by not naming the condition up front.

There are other little bits of unclarity floating about, but I think most of them would fall into place if you could control your impulse to try and hide critical POV information.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.