Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » story about death

Author Topic: story about death
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a story around 4000 words. Depending on how you interpret it, it's either mainstream fiction, or supernatural.
I'm looking for crits on the first thirteen lines and for readers if anyone wants to look at the whole thing.
Thanks in advance!

WARNING!!!
This story has some adult content!

Robert O’Conner was dying. He had known it would come for years now, as one small stroke followed the next, his heart died away in pieces and the number of drugs he took for his condition increased exponentially throughout the years. He was a smart man, he had been to college and he could read between the doctor’s pleasant phrases and the nurses encouraging tones that something was very wrong with him indeed.
It wasn’t unexpected. He was 78 after all. If it wasn’t this it’d be something else, but he had rather hoped he’d make it to spring again. That was how he had held out for seven years, grabbing on to see spring again. Spring was when the trees were green, birds sang and couples held hands. He would just sit in the park and remember when he had been young and eager to hold another human being’s hand and felt so good because he could.

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited June 16, 2006).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this. My only issue is with the first line. It doesn't quite make sense to me (though this is still in the am, and I probably shouldn't crit until after lunch...) You tell us he's dying. Then that it's not a surprise, he had known for a long time because... he's been in the process of dying for a long. At least that's how it reads to me.

What I think you're trying to say is that death is now imminent. Your protagonost knew he was dying he just didn't know quite when the deadline was (worst pun of the day so far). I'd CONSIDER starting by giving the reader the deadline. "E.g. Robert O'Connor had 3 weeks to live." There's certainly another way to do it, this is just the one that popped into my head.

Apart from that it's all great. Really clear writing, never sounds like you're trying too hard, very easy prose. Quite lovely really. I wish I had more time to read but I'm swamped at the moment.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an odd opening. The fact that he's been dying for seven years at the age of 78 gets in my way. Everything else suggests a timeframe of months or weeks, but you clearly state that it is years, seven of them.

I think that the reference to his having been to college is a bit out of place. A lot of guys that old went to college, they were the first generation for whom a college education became relatively commonplace. More important, that was probably a long time ago.

Other than that, this seems okay, but the seven years still bug me.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"He was a smart man" - you just explained that he had had some strokes and things are failing. So it might be good to phrase this that he still had the relevant bits to understand the doctors. Does he know what he has lost, if he loses something? Ooh, that could be interesting story. Someone dies and then realizes they used to be a Doctor, or President of the United States.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
In the second sentence, I think you can leave out "...throughout the years." You have already said, "...for years now..."

The third sentence is run-on, and the last section of it seems to take too many words to express its intent.

The first part of the second paragraph refers to "it" a number of times, without being too specific about what "it" is. You could pack more punch into the story by saying, "Death wasn't unexpected..." (or something like). That kind of adjustment would clarify and strengthen up an otherwise passive section.

The entire fragment would have more tension if you chose stronger verb forms.

I like the idea of this character, and I like where you chose to start the story. I also like the progression of the fragment, how you incorporate the strokes and medicines and doctors without resorting to an infodump.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
The story feels right.

I don't think that you need, "He had known it would come for years now," You can just start, "One small stroke..."

There aren't too many stories with 78 year old protagonists. This is refreshing in that regard. My hope, and this is a big one, is that the balance of the story is going to concern the man's life, not necessarily his past, but his present life, and the possibilities for dignity for an older dying man.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited June 14, 2006).]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the crits!
This is so useful. I've re read that paragraph a hundred times and I wasn't able to spot those problems you told me about.
Stronger verbs? hmmm, interesting.
Does anyone else want to read the whole thing?
Brainstorming for improvement? How would you make this better?

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Is the timeframe of seven years necessary? Because it really clashes with this opening. If you really need seven years worth of dying, then you probably have to jettison the current tone. I can't tell which at this point in time. If you like I can read more and give my suggestions, but I may not be terribly prompt in responding.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It plucks at my heartstrings, maybe in a way that would stop me from reading . . . but don't let that stop you. If you have a powerful effect, that'll draw more readers than it repels.

I suggest you might hint at a relationship he has. (Or note that he has none.) Some son or daughter? A wife, or a late wife? Not to say you must do that in the first 13.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
I really have very little to say, except to point out nits maybe, and even then the nits are few. The first thing that hit me was the length of your sentences...I happen to adore medium-to-long sized ones, interspersed with shorts. It's just my personal preference; others may differ.

On the 'time left to live question', I have personal experience to put in here, with respect to this subject. Not to yank spasmodically at everyone's sympathy strings, but I myself am supposedly predestined to fertilize daffodils *very soon* according to my doctors; in point of fact, one physician's assistant of mine is flabbergasted that I still have the unmitigated gall to draw breath enough to put up silly posts on writerly websites, and not just keel over and give up the ghost already like a polite fellow. My kidneys and heart are about as shot as old apartment buildings in one of your more particularly roughshod parts of downtown Baghdad, according to the white-coated cabal o' mine that call themselves 'doctors'. On my original diagnosis, given to me about 2 years ago, I was given anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to live. And in fact, in real life, I learned that doctors are *very* hesitant to pin down an exact timeframe for a terminal patient. No two doctors will tell you the same thing; it's not like there's some odometer in your belly, with a years:months:days digital readout like some Casio chronometer that'll instantly tell them how long you in fact have left. It's mostly guesswork. The truth his, it mostly has to do with what's going on in your head...if you give up the will to live, that belly-chronometer of yours suddenly starts shedding numbers like dead skin flakes and you keel over like *that* <snapping fingers>. Something to keep in mind, if you are writing a story where your MC is terminal.

Just my twain farthings worth, you understand. It's good that we have up this thread; peeps need to see a Frags & Feeds example that receives accolades, to give an idea of what people are looking for in a story start.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

I'm sorry to hear that Nietge, I know someone in a similar situation.
What I wanted to do is show that the guy has been dying for seven years, but that the situation has severely deteriorated and his death is now inminent.
I show this in the next paragraph or two that didn't fit the 13 lines.
I'm working on not explaining my stories because I've been told that its a waste of time, since you can't explain them to the editor anyway. The reason I'm telling you is because if you have any ideas as how I could do this more effectively I would appreciate the feed. Also, do I have to explain the inminent-death thing right now, or can it wait two paragraphs?

Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this. I think the it's a good beginning for where you're going. I have a couple of points though. First, the comment about him going to college doesn't work for me. For one thing, you don't have to go to college to be able to read doctors. I think the point would be stronger if you used it to show that, although his body was failing, his mind was still as sharp as ever.

Also, the very end didn't make sense to me:

>and felt so good because he could<

Was he glad he could hold hands while he was young? And if so, why--I mean that's something that most people wouldn't think about. Or is he thinking back and being glad he could hold hands with someone in particular? Maybe if that whole sentence was more personal it would work better for me--if you named someone instead of saying "another human being's hand".

Great start. If you still want a reader, I'd like to take a look.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
My small nits... to say that he "had known it would come for years" struck me like you were telling us that at one point he didn't realize he would ever die. I suggest saying something to the effect of: "for years he had known his death was imminent" or somesuch.

I agree with the issue about saying he felt so good because he could hold someone's hand, in large part because it's sort of a POV violation (I think.) After all, we are talking about Robert's self as a young man, and what young man EVER sits around thinking, "Boy it feels good to hold someone's hand because I CAN." (No, a young man is more likely to be planning what he's going to get to hold NEXT.) If you clarify that his "feel good" is an experience happening in his 78-year old self, I think that would clear up any misunderstandings.

Other than that, the rest looks good.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
It is certainly possible for a young male to be exorbitantly pleased that he CAN hold a particular person's hand, especially if he's somewhat shy and always starts out feeling that the object of his affections is hopelessly out of reach.

But, yeah, it needs to be clarified.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

WARNING
Something I have to tell you. Ray just pointed out to me that the content might be objectionable to some readers. I'm very sorry I didn't post this with the first thirteen lines at the beginning but it never dawned on me that there was anything "strong" about the story. I thought it was PG.
What I didn't realize, and that is only my mistake, is that what isn't disturbing to someone can easily offend someone else.
Therefore: anyone who wants to read will get an email asking if they still want to go for it.
Sorry again everyone.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, you might clarify what you mean by "adult" content. I personally object to graphic violence, but am unbothered by sexual content. Other people are just the opposite. Sometimes cursing and four-letter words are enough to drive other readers away. Knowing the type of material we might find objectionable helps us to make the choice.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm not particular about cutting the seven years from the story, but it creates a lot of temporal confusion, particularly in your second paragraph, and it isn't particularly important in the face of impending death. You can mention it later.
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Is this better?

Robert O’Conner was dying.
He had known it would come for years now, as one small stroke followed the next, his heart died away in pieces and the number of drugs he took for his condition increased exponentially.
He was still lucid and he could read between the doctor’s pleasant phrases and the nurses encouraging tones that something was very wrong with him indeed. He knew this stroke would be his last.
It wasn’t unexpected. He was 78 after all. If it wasn’t this it’d be something else, but he had rather hoped he’d make it to spring again. That was how he had held out for so long, grabbing on to see spring again. Spring was when the trees were green, birds sang and couples held hands. He would just sit in the park

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 21, 2006).]

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, yes I like this better. I had one small nit:
quote:
He knew this stroke would be his last.

Shouldn't it be "he knew the next stroke would be his last" or is he having a stroke as the narration starts? If he is having a stroke, I might like that fact to be a bit clearer.

This reminds me a lot of my uncle. He died from his 5th heart attack Jan 4, 2004. His first heart attack was when he was 37. He was only 56 when he died. After that first heart attack, if you asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he'd say "To live to my next one." He was having heart problems for about 1-2 months before he died and knew the last heart attack was imminent. Not wanting everyone to worry, he didn't tell us about the tremors. Anyway . . .

So this rings pretty true with me. When you are looking for readers, count me in.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
Very good. One small nit: I think "nurses" should be plural possessive unless you rewrite it as "and the encouraging tones of the nurses."

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Thanks for the crits!
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
Darnit sara if I still don't think that:

"Robert O’Conner was dying. One small stroke followed the next, his heart died away in pieces and the number of drugs he took increased exponentially."

Sounds better.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.