Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » What Piercing Cold I Feel - 834 words

Author Topic: What Piercing Cold I Feel - 834 words
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
What Piercing Cold I Feel - 834 words - ghost story

Readers wanted for the complete story. No comment on the opening necessary, as most would be answered by reading further and this whole story is rather short.

--

As I sit here in my study, just down the hall from our bedroom, I am shaken. I am cold. I fear.

Moments ago I ran from there, shouting incoherently, my first wife’s tortoiseshell comb in pieces in my trembing hand. The comb was broken; it snapped in half when I trod on it. But the teeth were already broken off and it was covered with my wife’s blood before I stepped on it, when I saw it this night, for the first time in so many years.

I had just come here to my old home from the hospital where Claire finally lay still, sedated to still her raving and to rest and to heal.

But what rest is there for me now? What healing?

I am sorry; I digress. Where was I? The hospital. Yes, it began at the hospital.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. On the way.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it, Mike. But you should know that I'm not excited about starting with a flashback frame. There'd better be a darn good reason that you aren't just starting at the hospital.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Classic narrative frame, he's writing this in his study, after breaking his wife's comb. I will comment on that, because you want to keep the present tense there, "the comb is broken" as you segue from present into past. In other words, the comb is broken, it broke (snapped in half) when he trod on it, it was already broken (the teeth were already broken) when he trod on it.

See what I mean? Changing the tense there gives you a really good intro into the timeflow of a narrative written so close to the event.

But I'll save any other comments till after I read more.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhyner
Member # 3480

- posted      Profile for Rhyner   Email Rhyner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, I recognize that it's a classic narrative frame, but I'm just saying that I'd like there to have been reason to use the frame when I get to the end of the story. I was crankier than I would be with someone I don't know, mostly because I trust that Mike does have a reason.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you put this up at LH, too? Easy to find, easy to critique, at least for that board.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, wbriggs, what is LH? Another critique site? I haven't heard of it; I'm intrigued! Any info you could proffer would be welcomed.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
I'll read it, Mike. But you should know that I'm not excited about starting with a flashback frame. There'd better be a darn good reason that you aren't just starting at the hospital.

oh, heck. classic narrative frame?

Thank you all, on the way.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Umm. Does it have to be a GOOD reason, Maryrobinette? There is a reason, I assure you. It isn't spelled out, though.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Ha! Will you send it to me?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Once you send me an email address that works. Or take me off your banned email addresses list.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Actually, the answer is simple; in the ghost story genre, hauntings are often tied to place. Further, think a bit about what 'It' could refer to in the sentence 'It began at the hospital.'

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited June 18, 2006).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
my only comment is that I thought it was weird that someone would discover the bloody comb of his first wife and presumably some ghastly scene to accompany it and then race to his desk to write about it.

HOWEVER, I am a HUGE M.R. James fan and this work sound like his stuff. So I will read it if you send it to me.

BTW: If you're interested, Project Gutenberg has a bunch of his stories available online.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 18, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

On the way. Now I'm off to find out who that author is.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Cool. Downloaded his two volumes of works to read and learn from. If HP Lovecraft thought he was the best, that's good enough for me! Thanks for putting me on to him.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Bother. You aren't on the banned list, but my web hosting account is run by a bunch of crack smoking llamas. I sent you my gmail address.
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, now I wanna see the crack-smoking llamas take on the evil robot monkeys.

From a safe distance, of course.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever posted a version of this story before? It seems familiar....

Anyway, if you still need readers, I'd be happy to read for you.

Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nietge asked what LH is and hasn't gotten an answer. LH stands for Liberty Hall, and Mike is the moderator. It's a website for writers of flash fiction, stories under 1000 words. Do a search on "Flash Challenge" on this site, or visit http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only flash fiction, otherwise I wouldn't hang out there... (I have trouble writing under 1000 words... hey, sometimes I have trouble writing under 100000 words...) but the main focus of it are weekly writing challenges, with a 90-minute writing deadline, followed by critiquing and voting during the week.

LH has helped me to become significantly more productive as a writer. Indeed, "The Box Of Beautiful Things" began life as one of the LH Flash challenges.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first first-tier pub from a flash challenge (although I expanded it to conventional length).
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

MR James is great. Glad you downloaded some of his stuff. They tend to be 'sleeper' stories. The sort that hide-out at the back of your mind and sneak up on you when you're not expecting it.
There is one called "The Mezzotint" that I think you will like.

I have your story and have read it. Will get the crit back as soon as I can, day or so.

Andrew

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. I think you can see my email addy (I set it up so you could in profile) but just in case:

louiseoneal1972@yahoo.com

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.