Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Jack of Stones--7300 words

Author Topic: Jack of Stones--7300 words
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings fellow Hatrackians.

I am interested in a few critiquers for my latest effort. I want as much critique as you can give me. If you can only give me a 'careful reader' crit, that's great too.

I suppose you could call it urban or contemporary fantasy.

I also welcome comments on the first 13:

quote:
Jack Daws checked the clock. 5:42. Eight minutes until the international weather report.

Something up, he thought. He had that prickly feeling this morning, like the crackle of towels fresh out of the drier. Only cold. Something up.

With a frown he pressed the button to start the coffee percolating, slipped on the old scuffed pair of rubber garden clogs he kept by the back door, switched off the electric fence, and went out, his dog Hogarth at his heel. The screen door creaked as he let it swing shut behind him. It set the animals in the pens to bawling and neighing for their breakfast.

"Later," Jack said, too low for them to hear. "I need to check the stones."

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 21, 2006).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd keep reading. The only nitpick I have is: The shoes are scuffed, do you need the word 'old' in there?
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds great. For some reason I see peeling paint and a tree near the back door. I'm always keen to read your stories, enjoy them very much, but I can't read right now.

PS: Samuel's in hospital right now, not serious but very tiring/time consuming.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 21, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Sorry, Kathleen. I counted 13 lines in Times instead of Courier.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited June 21, 2006).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. You might need a comma after "with a frown", but I won't nit anything else for now. I'll try reading more.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you gave me one of the best crits I ever received, I'd be happy to look at this. Though I can't promise my crit will be as thorough as yours was. Also, I may not be timely. Lots of demands right now. But I do promise to read and give honest, and i hope helpful feedback.

peace,
jsw

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be a little more negative, but not much so.

Main problem I have is that MC thinks something up, and I don't know why. Does he believe he's psychic?

Now, this can work. Girl opens the door to her house, and for some reason the dark living room seems frightening. The door slams behind her and she almost screams. She doesn't know why she's on edge. Maybe it's her imagination . . .

The trouble is I don't know if this is what's up with MC, or if he's psychic, or if he's crazy. This should be easily fixed.

Nits:

I have no idea why Jack cares about the international weather report, or even why there is one. I want to know, or else I want this put off until you're ready to explain

"Something up" sounds like baby talk to me. Or Tarzan.

The sentence fragment "Only cold." confused me. I had to reread to get what you meant. This could be easily fixed: ...out of the drier, only cold.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. And I echo the fact that you do really good critiques.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you've got some readers already, but if you need more, I'd be happy to read.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely writing. My only real issue was with the "Only cold." sentence. It made me think "why did you use that image then." I know why though (I think)--because it's a really good image. Maybe there's a way you can save it (I'd maybe suggest just turning it into "but cold" and tacking it onto the previous sentence, rather than giving it a sentence all of its own).
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Thanks to all. It's on the way.

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read
My problem was with the MC anticipating something that was going to happen. That always sounds kind of artificial to me.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read on.
Not now, sadly, because my schedule's a bit too full. But this beginning works for me as it is.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I would read on. I'm on vacation next week, so if you need second readers, send it over.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read on. Minor nit is the character's name. A Jackdaw is a type of bird (of the crow family I think) and your MC's name straightaway reminded me of that, for obvious reasons!

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.