Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Caught by Death

Author Topic: Caught by Death
Rilnian
Member # 3506

- posted      Profile for Rilnian   Email Rilnian         Edit/Delete Post 
“These are the beginning moments of your death. Watch carefully, for it is your only hope of avoiding it.”

Mud from the fall clung stubbornly to the man’s night suit. The sounds of sirens cascaded across the courtyard as he fought to regain his footing. With each siren, a quickened step, with each step, another siren. He looked back from where he had come, revealing his face, which held an expression of understanding, anger, and guilt.

The video stopped. The face remained.

William could not avoid the eyes on the screen. The look

I hope this fixes alot of the old mistakes!
Thank you for all the help.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is much better. Now I know why I'd want to read! I will add: if the fall isn't the fall that killed him, what was it? Why are there sirens when hasn't been killed yet? (Does the viewer know the answer to these questions?)
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I like this. I didn't read the first version but I'd keep reading on this one.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rilnian
Member # 3506

Thank You, now I now what to do, and what not to do! I've decided to create a chapter 1, instead of a short story, and see how it comes along. Once I have finished it, I will ask for critiquers.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rilnian
Member # 3506

POV? Sorry, where? Hard for me to find since I wrote it.
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
He means that you need point-of-view.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
The shift did throw me a bit, you might want to make it more clear who's watching what. It might not make too much of a difference with a reader, but it might break your chance with an editor.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it would work by starting this by describing hte voice that introduces the video tape. "A pleasant female voice announced..." or whatever type of voice makes the announcement. This is a cool hook and I would read on.

Good writing.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.