Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Peeking Box

Author Topic: The Peeking Box
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
The locomotive carrying David to his new home slowly lumbered up the great incline. The engine strained under its weight and the steep angle of its ascent. The engineer leaned forward in his seat, as if every effort was needed to complete the climb. The passengers leaned forward as well, but showed no alarm. The climb, as terrible as it was to David, seemed to have no affect on the other passengers. They rode comfortably. His Grandfather Joe, sitting next to him, seemed quite content.
It was all new to David. He was from the valley. His greatest climb, until now, was last week when he climbed up the hill behind the school to roll down through the meadow grasses and land in a sprawl, laughing, among his class mates. That climb was with his own legs. This climb was not, although it

[This message has been edited by First Assistant (edited August 13, 2006).]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought is that a train ascending a hill is not telling me much. I would like to know less about how hard it is for the train to get up the hill--and how can David see the conductor?--and more about David.

The next paragraph tells us a bit about David but it's all past stuff. Is going up a hill really important to the story? Cause if it's not I'd suggest starting at the turning point--when David meets the story you're going to tell.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole
Member # 3549

- posted      Profile for Nicole   Email Nicole         Edit/Delete Post 
Genre? It’s not like I absolutely must know the genre in order to critique but it does help.

“Slowly lumbered” is a redundancy. The verb lumbered means: to move in a slow, heavy and awkward way (Oxford). That gives you permission to murder that adverb

About the fragment as a whole, I think pixydust addressed the most important problem already: unless David climbing a hill in a train is a vital part of the story, you’re starting it in the wrong place.

If you want to keep the train lumbering up the hill, it wouldn’t hurt to let us know why David goes to live with Grandpa Joe or some other detail that illustrates what the story might be about.

Mentioning David’s greatest climb up to that point helps to get an idea of character but it just expands on the same subject (the train climbing). It makes me think: yes, the angle was steep, the Choo-Choo struggled, give me something new. The fact that the train moves doesn’t mean the story moves with it, because essentially, you have two paragraphs describing the same action.

Hope this helps

Oh and I liked the title.

Nicole

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this story about? What's David going to be struggling with?

Start there, I think, with that conflict. David's riding in a train; not interesting to me.

Now, maybe it's going to be derailed, or aliens are going to scoop everybody up, and you want a little life interrupted first. OK. I see a coupla possibilities:

* David has a conflict in his life already -- it's not *just* about the derailment. OK. Start with that conflict

or

* David has no conflict until the disaster strikes. You could start with, "The day the aliens kidnapped David ..."

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to what's already been said...

Your stroy is about David, not about the train. It's fine to open with a line or so about the train--it can serve as a nice metaphor, and you're well on your way to having that metaphor down--but don't linger on that metaphor too long.

Also, as your story is about David, give us information that would be relevant to him, that he could have access too. Like pixydust said, how does he know what's going on with the conductor? Don't give us the whole world, we don't need it. Give us David's world.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Hope it helps

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this opening and would keep reading. I wanted to find out where the train was going.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
O.K, David does not know about the conductor, and (not to give anything away) the train does play an important part. thanks for the Redundancy remark. any critique is helpful, always.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most of what has already been said. I don't necessarily agree that you should start elsewhere. With a rewrite to fix the POV problems and a little less detail about the train's goings-on, I would have no problem with it starting here. I would keep reading.

The biggest problem for me was POV. Others have gotten at this by mentioning how David does not know the conductor, but I see POV as a much larger problem. The very first sentence introduces me to a character. Then he is completely absent from the next three sentences - so much so, that I almost got the feeling he hadn't been there in the first place. Then David again. But then another short sentence entirely NOT about David. Then, FINALLY, the camera settles on David. If you were to cut out the non-David stuff, it would read like this:

quote:
The locomotive carrying David to his new home slowly lumbered up the great incline. The climb, as terrible as it was to David, seemed to have no affect on the other passengers. His Grandfather Joe, sitting next to him, seemed quite content. It was all new to David. He was from the valley. His greatest climb, until now, was last week when he climbed up the hill behind the school to roll down through the meadow grasses and land in a sprawl, laughing, among his class mates. That climb was with his own legs. This climb was not, although it...
I am not by any means presuming to tell you how to write your story, but this conveys the same information (train struggling up a mountain, new experience to David but not to the others, etc.). Anyway, something to consider.

On an unrelated note, I would have liked to know the genre and what this is intended as (short story, novelette, 5-volume epic, etc.).

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited September 09, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
i've observed, in my very little time here, that some introductions try to do too much. this is one of them. write about david, or write about the train, or write about one and then the other, but to write about the two in relation, and switching back and forth...it's too much for me to care about just yet, and it hurts the flow.

still, a fairly interesting beginning: it did make me wonder why you chose to start with an apparently ordinary train, and what the train was about. as you've said the train is important, bravo.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.