Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Whitmore Estate

Author Topic: The Whitmore Estate
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a rewrite froman untitled story that I posted the opening to earlier. Just need a crit on these 13. Does this opening feel like it flows naturally?

“If you ever raise a hand to her again I swear you’ll regret it.” said Bryce. His stepfather inched towards him with the scent of vodka on his breath and a look of hatred overflowing from his eyes. Larry had hated Bryce since the moment he had met Bryce’s mother. He knew all too well that she loved Bryce more than him, and he made her pay for it many times over. The tell-tale bruise that began forming on her cheek was enough to prove that. Why she had married him after his father died was lost on Bryce. He guessed that she was so starved for affection that she was willing to put up with anything to get it. But Bryce wasn’t a child anymore. He knew this had to end.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
A little rearrangement would fix the feeling of confusion I had here. First I'll detail the confusion.

“If you ever raise a hand to her again I swear you’ll regret it.” said Bryce. His stepfather inched towards him with the scent of vodka on his breath and a look of hatred overflowing from his eyes.
> I'd rather know the relationships first. At this point this is what I think: it's Bryce's POV; stepfather has been hitting Bryce's girlfriend or wife.

Larry had hated Bryce since the moment he had met Bryce’s mother. He knew all too well that she loved Bryce more than him, and he made her pay for it many times over.
> OK, it's *Larry's* POV, and he's hitting Bryce's mother.

The tell-tale bruise that began forming on her cheek was enough to prove that. Why she had married him after his father died was lost on Bryce.
> No, it's Bryce's POV!

You could tell us up front: Bryce's stepfather Larry hit Bryce's mother. *Before* the dialog, which after all comes *after* the hitting (and Bryce's seeing the bruise).

To fix the POV problem, you could change "Larry knew..." to "Surely he knew..." or "Bryce knew Larry was aware..." or some such.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This all being in one paragraph makes it very hard to read. Separeate the dialogue from the rest and maybe start with the second sentence first, then have Bryce say his thing. And Will made a good point about the relationships. I thought this was in Bryce's POV until line three, then wasn't sure, then though no it's in Bryce....

I just think it needs to be made more clear.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt like there was a little too much information in the opening paragraph. In the heat of the moment, Bryce wouldn't be thinking about his whole history with Larry, although he might be thinking about the bruise and their mutual hatred.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosalie005
Member # 3676

- posted      Profile for Rosalie005   Email Rosalie005         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with some of the other posts, it does seem as if there is a lot going on in this first paragraph. however I think that it might be easier to understand simply by shifting some of the sentences. for instance:
"If you ever raise a hand to her again I swear you'll regret it." Bryce said as his stepfather, Larry, inched towards him.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.