Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Spinner's Yarn- Literary- Reworked

Author Topic: A Spinner's Yarn- Literary- Reworked
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want opinions on the revamped opening. The old opening is at the previous Spinner's Yard thread.

“My name is Hannah Leah. I am a wife, a mother and a

grandmother. But first I was, and am, a spinner. It is said

that a spinner is measured by the quality of the yarn she

spins. This is my yarn…”

CHAPTER ONE

April 1, 1944

Hannah Leah Ennis climbed out of her father’s Cadillac

with apprehension. The farmyard where she stood was quiet and

unadorned with only a white-washed cottage and red barn in view.

Her mother, Miriam, stuck her nose in the air. “I hate

the country. Everything is so plain.” She said, “These people

don’t even realize their poverty.”

Miriam turned in a circle. “Well, Hannah Leah. This is

where your foolishness has left you.”

cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the first Spinner fragment, and I've got to say that you've improved it very much here. I already know an awful lot about Miriam, I know that there's tension and conflict between Miriam and Hannah Leah and it's just one paragraph.

I don't know how attached you are to using both of Hannah Leah's name - brings to mind Puff the Magic Dragon's home, Honah Lee(sp) - but it's a small annoyance to the reader. I think it would be less annoying if it were Hannah Lee. I think Hannah Lee-ah is one syllable too many. (I'm a southerner, so I understand about using both names ).

I'm not qualified to comment on the little prologue, but, personally, I like it.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

Wayne,

You hit me with a knife! I "was" very attached to Hannah Leah's name until you pointed out the "Puff" resemblance. Also you reminded me as a writer I need to be able to bend in the wind when it comes to making needed changes, no matter how much in love with something I might be. Thanks.

cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to strike with a knife. And I don't have a problem with remembering Puff, either. I just think that a three syllable name is easier on the tongue and the reader than a four syllable name. You've never heard of an Ellie Mary or a Billy Bobby - It's Ellie Mae & Billy Bob.

If Hannah Lee looks too masculine, how about Hannah Leigh?

BTW, I think you've really got a great beginning here.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

Thanks Wayne! I actually like Hannah Leigh quite a bit. I am considering a change.

cll

mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this, it is a precised beginning to a much longer tale. Do you have any more of it?

I've taken spinning classes, and as a beginner, my yarn could be generously described as "designer," or more aptly put as "terrible," all lumpy and bumpy.

Sort of like how Hannah-Leah is going to be starting her life and this story. I agree with the comments on Hannah-Leah being a bit of a mouthful for your MC. How about just plain "Hannah," which is a good earthy sounding name, as is Miriam. I guess I have more of a quibble with Miriam, as I keep thinking of her in Old Testement frame of mind. But that is just my opinion

My favorite was a Saxon style wheel. BTW.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

Thanks Mommiller. I had two chapters written but after just a few short days here at hatrack and after perusing the book "The First Five Pages" I need to tighten it or in other words cut the heck out of it. If you are interested in reading/critiquing the piece please let me know.

P.S. My mother-in-law is the spinner and I will be relying on her knowlege for the technical aspects of the novel.

cll

mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, once you are satisified with your tweaks and want to send it on, let me know. I would not mind reading the first chapter of this.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

Coolness! It shouldn't be too long before I have a chance to finish reworking it. I'm hoping for it to be done by Monday. I found my husband a great little fishing boat at a garage sale for cheap, so he owes me.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
So why is Hannah apprehensive? If it's worth telling us, it's worth telling us why. I think if you said that, I'd be hooked. I liked the snobbiness dialog later.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

wbriggs,

You find out in the next paragraph- lines sixteen and seventeen.

The chapter is reworked and is around 1,000 words if you would be interested in critiquing it.

cll

Loretta
Member # 3639

- posted      Profile for Loretta   Email Loretta         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely read on; this is much more readable than the earlier version. I get the feeling the relationship between Hannah and Miriam is going to be important in the story as a whole? One small suggestion. This may be only my individual reaction, but I found the word 'unadorned' broke up the rhythm. It isn't necessary to say unadorned because Miriam comments on how plain it is, but if you wanted to keep the thought there maybe a different word?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Decide whether you're using first person or not.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.