Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short SF/Fantasy Untitled

Author Topic: Short SF/Fantasy Untitled
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

I just wrote this at work as there's nothing much to do (thus effectively I'm finally getting paid for my writing, though not quite how I envisaged) Roughly a 1000 words, SF/fantasy short. Is there a hook here? Any comments welcome.

It six o’clock in the morning and I’m face down on the floor again. Ho hum. To lose the use of one’s legs is an unfortunate side-effect of the substances my new flat mate concocts, but a small price to pay for the pleasure of not having to think about Maria, and more specifically, the reasons she left me.
Damn! I just thought of her again. Must be sobering up.
The wind whistles down the chimney, stirring dust in the empty fire place. I manage to raise my head briefly and open my eyes. Our big front room, now devoid of furniture - save for the shabby green sofa and television Gordy brought with him – looks even bigger from the floor up. And my bedroom, through the open door, across the hallway, is s whole continent of carpet away. A carpet that is beginning to stink like a soggy Irish wolfhound, I realise.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
Zoot,

It- should be it's
s- should be a
continent of carpet and the carpet/stink/wolfhound- great descriptions

Drop the I realise at the end of the sentence. Redundent.

I like it but there doesn't seem to be the hook. The Maria aspect would seem like it should be the hook but you pass on by that to give us a room description.

cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. I think the voice and characterization was good, and I'd definitely give the next paragraph or two a read. Ship it to me if you like.

There's nothing unique about a strung-out hung over lovesick slob, though, so if you only have a thousand words, I hope something interesting happens in it.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

- posted      Profile for Skarecrow           Edit/Delete Post 
there's nothing new anywhere in the world...it's all in how you tell us YOUR story, with YOUR voice....so far, I like the voice, and I would read more....let's see what this bloke is like!
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hooked yet, maybe because MC isn't struggling -- he seems content where he is.

Suggest you drop "ho hum." Readers are suggestible, and it wouldn't be good for them to associate "ho hum" with your story!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it.

I liked the idea behind the 2nd paragraph ("Damn! I just thought of her again. Must be sobering up.") but it felt a little clunky to me. I think it's the "Damn!" When I bother to order my thoughts into sentences, I'm usually stating something I've already worked out in a quicker, more fundamental way. This could of course just be me, but it made me feel as if the "Damn!" wasn't quite organic. I would maybe go with saying along the lines of: "Except I just thought of her again." Something a little drier, more ironic. I think that would match the tone you're going for a little better.

Other than that, generally quite amusing, nice voice. I likey.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted.O
Member # 3708

- posted      Profile for Ted.O   Email Ted.O         Edit/Delete Post 

I like the dry sense of humor that is apparent in this piece. Initially, I was alarmed that the character was so unconcerned with his paralyzed legs, but then I realized that he'd probably been through this before, and it became humorous. I'm assuming that, with the use of the word "flat" that our character (and possibly the author) is British. That would explain the dry humor.

Senory details nicely done. I esp. liked "continent of carpet." However, in the last sentence about the carpet smelling like an Irish Wolfhound, you don't need the tag "I realise." In first person, that is implied, and you keep the reader closer to the experience without it.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.