Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Another Approach

Author Topic: Another Approach
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on hiatus with homework and such, but I'm back to my story again.
Once again, my story...

The evening before I reached the front line, I lodged in a camp south of Antwerp to await my morning ride. I was reserved a spot in a tent with fifteen, though by appearance it was designed for less than ten.
“It can’t be helped,” the assistant quartermaster insisted, handing me a mass of hay wrapped in two blankets. “We’re simply overbooked.” I conceived an expression of acceptance upon seeing these components for my bunk.
“I’ve spent a few nights under the stars,” I lied, cursing internally my lifetime of sleep on soft surfaces.
“That’s good,” he replied, grasping his clipboard and pen. “And your name again?” I nervously repeated my family name, and to my surprise and relief, he showed no sign of recognition.

Now that you've read, can anyone tell me what they think about the narrator? Where does he come from?

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

"I conceived an expression of acceptance upon seeing these components for my bunk."

Sounds very early twentieth century England, upper class.

Am I right?

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.

"We're simply overbooked." I conceived...

This suggests that "I" said it. A paragraph break will fix it.

I was a little tempted to skip in paragraph 1, but after that I was hooked.

MC is British, I think, and is of some upper-class family that now has a bad reputation. He may have volunteered, partly to distance himself from them. It's WWI, I think. I like him.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your feedback. Before I reveal the secrets, try my revised version and see if it says any more.

My journey from England to Belgium’s front brought me to an evening layover in Camp 130 south of Antwerp. Though I was miles from the action, the camp provided my first account of war’s cost through my lodging with twenty others in a tent for ten.
“It can’t be helped,” the assistant quartermaster asserted, handing me a mass of hay wrapped in two blankets. “We’re simply overbooked.”
I conceived an expression of acceptance as I grasped the components for my bunk. “I’ve spent a few nights under the stars,” I claimed confidently to sell the lie.
“That’s good,” he replied, grasping his clipboard and pen. “What was your name again?” I repeated my last name. To my surprise and relief, he showed no sign of recognition.

Truth be told, my story takes place during ww2, though it is very true that the line in ww1 went through southern Belgium. Also, my MC is American upper-class, and very conscious that he's fighting alongside depression era children. His voice is meant to signify his privileged status, as well as a lack of social interaction with those of the lower class. I'm considering removing that from his voice because it might lead the reader astray.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited September 14, 2006).]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
one thing that jumped out at me was all the "said" replacements. For example:

the assistant quartermaster asserted
I claimed confidently
he replied

Sometimes, even the wealthy say, "he said."

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox
Member # 3871

- posted      Profile for Fox   Email Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, referring to a battlefield as "the action" doesn't seem to fit. It seems more like a euphamism than anything else.

To say it another way... the term lacks feeling.

....I think I just made myself sound retarded.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also just tell us he's American. Or "My journey from Massachusetts to Antwerp..."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.