Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » yet another experiment from the Poser

Author Topic: yet another experiment from the Poser
poserwriter765
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for poserwriter765   Email poserwriter765         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the wording seems kind of clunky in places I think. But does it hook. Would anyone keep reading?

That the landscape was alien was blindingly obvious to the lone figure crouched on one knee. Even wearing a bulky hostile-environment suit, Tim Selsor thought he could almost feel the grating sand filled air gnawing at his skin. The heat was real enough. Haloed by the dust high above him, was the massive red giant star that bathed this planet in light – and heat. Even with the suit he was drenched in sweat.
Through the gloom he saw it. Standing before him, Tim could make it out only partially through the storm. It's shape was unmistakable. Standing close to three meters tall and on planet that only recently had been visited by mankind, was an almost perfect crucifix, complete with a vaguely humanoid figure fixed to it. Tim prayed to a god he now knew existed.

[This message has been edited by poserwriter765 (edited September 14, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I need a good user name
Member # 3812

- posted      Profile for I need a good user name   Email I need a good user name         Edit/Delete Post 
I would continue to read it
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you're picturing this in your head as the start of a movie: the landscape, the lone figure. But who's seeing it? In cinema, you can't help it: you must have a camera. But in print, I think it works better to start w MC's POV (especially since you're about to do that anyway).

Let us know what Tim perceives and thinks. By the time we get to that crucifix, I want to know why he's on the alien world, and what his religion is, so I'll know the significance to him. (As it is, I don't understand. My reaction to this scene is, there's someone being tortured to death, rather than, there's my God.)

I'd keep reading at least long enough to see why Tim reacts this way. If I didn't find out in next paragraph, though, I'd give up.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 
you are correct
it is clunky in places
there are grammar errors and unnecessary words that bog the flow of the text down.
edit your own work ruthlessly,
don't be afraid to rewrite.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
This is your third posted fragment, but you haven't been contributing comments to other fragments or the open discussions. I'm disinclined to offer feedback.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.