Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy YA, 1st chap. 13 lines

Author Topic: Fantasy YA, 1st chap. 13 lines
djh
Member # 3826

- posted      Profile for djh   Email djh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've rewritten chapter one of YA fantasy novel (approx. 65,000 words) and got rid of a pesky nightmare scene. Suggestions/ comments on this new opening?

When the white limo pulled in front of Jack Abraham’s ramshackle trailer outside Aspen, it was almost midnight. Jack wondered about it later. If he hadn’t chosen to leave his own twentieth birthday party early, he would have missed the visitation entirely. Of course, his actual birthday was a few days off, but he'd be gone then.
Jack unfolded from the plastic lawn chair and pushed a wavy strand of hair out of his face as the limo door opened. He probably shouldn’t receive guests in his boxer shorts, but anyone stupid enough to drop by at midnight deserved it. Besides, he knew only one family preposterous enough to send a limo to a trailer park. His.
A polished little man he knew only as Winston emerged.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Intriguing. It definitely made me want to turn the page.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering what Jack's reaction is to this white limo. Is he surprised? Excited? Annoyed? Afraid? Engage me by showing me his emotional reactions. I don't want to be told about his passive thoughts. I want to be SHOWN how he reacts. The lawn chair probably doesn't matter to the plot, but I would wager that Jack's emotional involvement in the unfolding events do.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
I think after the opening sentence, that everything until the boxer shorts line can be cut. Then you have room to show us more emotion from the MC. I like it though. I want to read on.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably keep reading this.

Just a couple of nits: being folded in a lawn chair sounds painfull. I was folded in a hideabed once, I still have nightmares.
and Jack Abraham sounds too much like Jack Abramof.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited September 20, 2006).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Great hook, I genuinely wanted to read on.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with the cut proposed above, and would add to it to get:

"When the white limo pulled in front of Jack Abraham’s ramshackle trailer outside Aspen, it was almost midnight. Jack wondered about it. He probably shouldn’t receive guests in his boxer shorts, but anyone stupid enough to drop by at midnight deserved it. Besides, he knew only one family preposterous enough to send a limo to a trailer park. His.
A polished little man he knew as Winston emerged."

edited to say that i really liked this.

[This message has been edited by englshmjr18 (edited September 22, 2006).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.