Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Horror/Fantasy short story seeking help, reviews, and love. Apply within.

Author Topic: Horror/Fantasy short story seeking help, reviews, and love. Apply within.
rif4ever
Member # 3904

- posted      Profile for rif4ever           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I wrote this horror fic (it's kinda short) and I wanna know what people think. And yes, it's supposed to be written this way.
Oh yeah, and it's called Sa'er.

They call me Death.
Those whose relatives and friends died by my blade. Those who have seen me in battle. Those who have merely heard tales of me.
They call me Death. The Wielder of Sa’er. The Heartless.
Once I was not her. She was not me. Once. I was a foolish girl. A bumbling villager. Not yet a woman. Not still a child. I was merely Kri’na.
I am no longer her now.
And the memories fade.
But never leave.
My country; no, it was only borders and fields, nothing more. Fields that I later ravaged. Borders that later were useless to me. Every country was a new battlefield. A new place to fight.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 20, 2006).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit choppy and disconnected for my taste. It seems to me you are writing in a more poetic style, rather than a story-telling style. For me, I would find the style difficult to wade through. I don't care for poetry and don't read it for fun. I prefer my story writing to be more cohesive, with complete sentences and a logical progression to the unfolding of the narrative. Perhaps I am just not your audience.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
It can certainly be interesting to attempt writing in different styles but this doesn't do anything for me.

This almost seems to be a parody of a stilted soliloquy.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
What they said.

Also, when I look past the things already mentioned and examine the actual content, I find that it's mostly exposition of backstory, slightly disguised because it's written in first person. I would prefer to start right away where the story starts, and learn the backstory as I go along.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rif4ever
Member # 3904

- posted      Profile for rif4ever           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

Yes, it was supposed to be written sort of poetic, but not all of it is backstory, sojoyful.
And there's nothing to 'wade' through, considering the fact that the grand total is about 2 pages. That would be why it's called a SHORT story.
I'm not all defense, though. I understand what you're getting at, althoguh I also have this on another website and I've gotten pretty good reviews, so maybe I just have a target audience, no?

The way of writing seems to be what you guys all hate. I guess I'm just trying to symbolize how choppy her thoughts are. She states the facts, and nothing more.

Think of it this way: at least I'm writing like this on purpose.
I read a fic once that was basically,

'She awoke from her slumber. And got up. Then she turned on the light. And yawned.'

Well, your feedback is still appreciated. Maybe I'll try writing it in a more flowing style, see how people like it.

May I say that this is my first original story ever?

Thank you for your helpful reviews.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
hi Rif4ever

Glad to have you here with us.

A lot of people write the way they do, intentionally but that doesn't mean it is effective. A great example is all of us (yes that included me) who withhold information the POV would know thinking we are being clever/creating mystery. It's not. It is just a poor way to tell the story.

For two pages, I might wade through the style but it would be wading and it is definately a might. What bothers me more than the poetic format is the repetition and POV violation.

Why would this POV think about or care what the relatives and friends of people she's killed think about her? What you have is an info dump that is wrapped in the guise of a first person soliliquy. The POV didn't ring true to me.

If she thinks in clipped sentances show me with sentances that she would actually think as she goes about killing and such. Why would she tell us about the bumbling village girl she use to be?

Also, why is she telling * me * this?

I get that she's something like Xena but I want a story not a history lesson. I could handle maybe a line or two about her being called The Heartless but you lay it on a bit thick. Less in this case is probably more.

Try to trim the back history (which is what you have here) and get to the plot. If you do, the writing should be smoother which will make a reader want to approach it.

Hope it helps.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If your going to write poetry do it. If your going to write a story do it. What you have here is a Cag, (a cat, dog) it's not bad but it's chasing itself. (Sorry I'll try to make sese now.)

I like this, but I hate how it's framed. The incomplete sentences don't help you(or us).

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is interesting, but the execution (no pun intended) does not hit the mark.

I think it could be told more simply and increase the intended effect. Maybe it could gain from more characterisation.

This is the idea order I would use:

They call me the Wielder of Sa’er. The Heartless. Death.
Once I was a foolish girl. No longer. Though my memories fade, they never disappear. Maybe that is why I visited extinction on my own countrymen first.
I have desolated lands and kingdoms. I have ordered and reordered borders; erased all knowledge of deeds, tongues and peoples. Yet none are entirely gone. Each one preserved within my head. I cannot forget.

I put that last few lines there so we get a glimpse into this characters mind, that's all, an indication of this character's struggle. It may be off the mark but you know what i mean.

Your first thirteen are promising us that the things you mention are important: therefore we are expecting most to hear more about Kr'ina and her memories and why she destroyed her own land and what made her feel so foolish and lead her to become death. IMO

Another note, the apostrophe is most often used to indicate a glottal stop. That means it usually occurs between vowels. Try putting a glottal stop in Kr'ina and you end up with something closer to Karina. Your language may not work that way but if the apostrophe does not ADD anything to our understanding of how the word is pronounced I would advise leaving it out.

PS: If you're interested there are some great threads here about the difference between melodrama and drama. I recommend this one. But do a search in Open Discussion and you'll find heaps of stuff about it.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 20, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
what, she's not actually Death? That makes me sad. and it works for terry pratchett ;P

yeah, if you're going for poetry, you should use poetic devices: simile, metaphor, alliteration, those kinds of things. poetry is not an excuse to write incomplete sentences. it's the time to focus intently on the language. if she thinks it choppy phrases, there shouldn't be anything BUT that.

prose should be simple and to the point. your monologue only works if she is bragging. push that, and it should be interesting, but might turn readers off. having her torn by what she's become-- we might leave that to shakespeare, or at least the rest of the story.

this has potential, you just have to earn the drama your character wields.

also, "not yet a woman.not still a child." comes remarakbly close to a brittany spears song, doesn't it?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 
i like it as a change of pace.
granted, you don't want to write the whole story in incomplete sentences.
a change of pov is in order i think
let her lack of proper grammar show in dialogue instead of being the main vehicle of narration
otherwise, it's kinda cool
a chick whose name is Death?
rock on

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.