Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » community service

Author Topic: community service
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 
only three lines of a work in progress
this is the line i think is the "hook" of the story, though it isn't the first three lines.

“For the murders of Billy Clark and Judy Stevens, you, Citizen Stevens, are hereby sentenced to serve a life sentence of community service at the Oscar Wolfe Foundation.”

[This message has been edited by markburnash (edited September 24, 2006).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of feedback are you looking for?

Nothing of the BAD persuasion jumps out at me, but I do have this thought:

The entire sentence is weakened by "the judge proclaimed" at the end. Can you have the proclamation stand on its own a little more, especially the end? Here are two (rough) ways you might do it:

---

The judge banged his gavel and proclaimed, “For the murders of Billy Clark and Judy Stevens, you, Citizen Stevens, are hereby sentenced to serve a life sentence of community service at the Oscar Wolfe Foundation."

---

"For the murders of Billy Clark and Judy Stevens, you, Citizen Stevens, are hereby sentenced to serve a life sentence of community service at the Oscar Wolfe Foundation.”

Citizen Stevens stared at the judge, speechless...

---

You get the idea.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome thanx

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
What, Billy and Judy get first names, but Citizen doesn't? It seems uneven, unless there's some social issue this reflects. or Citizen is just a weird name, i guess.

is there an oscar wolfe, or are you merging oscar wilde and gene wolfe, or something else entirely? if you are merging oscar and gene, it sounds like pretty interesting community service.

also: darkly comic, i very much like.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should say that, englshmjr18. Back when I first read it, I thought it said Oscar Wilde, which I found immensely amusing (in a good way).
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.