Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Winter Rose

Author Topic: Winter Rose
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guy/gals. I had totally forgotten I meant to put this in a polish challenge. I shouldn't be here. I'm such a dork...

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited December 08, 2006).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Nits.

"With...I so hungry..." -- that would be "me."

>Now that he’s needed he sets us free?
Sets us free? Huh?

>I kicked at a pile of snow in frustration. White flakes falling from the sky, and ice tears burned my eyes.
Ice tears? Oh. How about "freezing tears"?

They're outside?

>Drunk bastard. Never was any good. If he’d only left years ago, before the bruises he’d pounded onto my skin had sunk into my heart.
MC seemed younger before this statement. How old?

>Anger filled me, like a swift fire, burning out the cold surrounding me on this mountain where he’d abandoned us to die. Hell if I’d give him the satisfaction.

They're on a mountain? Why are they on a mountain?

--

I would say "easy fix" -- tell us up front where we are, why we're there -- but even so, it might be better to start a little earlier. (You start at the *end* of a scene, with one of the characters leaving.) I imagine a couple of ways of dealing with it:

*The conversation that led to Pa leaving, with 5-year-old? 12-year-old? MC listening and getting panicked

or maybe Pa's a coward, and just left without telling anybody. MC was doing such-and-such, and saw Pa take off w/o a word to anybody. But depending on the situation this might be an odd interpretation -- maybe he's gone off to get firewood, or help, or check his rabbit traps.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Will, that's awesome, thanks. This beginning has given me so much trouble. And it's always felt lame and choppy (I think cause I keep changing it). Your thoughts are helpful, though. This story is just so long, I was trying to cut a bit out--but maybe it's important we meet the dad.

I forgot I was putting this at the polish challenge in the SSC over at LH. Der.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.