Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Aunyx (SF suspenseish)

Author Topic: Aunyx (SF suspenseish)
Onyx Ricsina
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Onyx Ricsina   Email Onyx Ricsina         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here I go. This is my 2nd edit. I seem to have about 2200 words typed and maybe double that handwritten.

The microliminals sped up with the beat of the music, increasing the heart rate and cycling down the REM state. The pile of scrap cloth that served as the only furniture in the featureless room stirred and from it arose a young man of medium build and average height. Dimly lit against his outline, the wall terminal ticked away the last few seconds approaching 0430 while something inhuman issued forth from the general direction of the stretching shadow that would roughly translate to “I’m up” to anyone fluent enough to understand the language of bachelor.
“Lights. Conclude wake-up sequence.” And the outline gained features. Well-trimmed, shoulder length black hair shrouded the taut oval frame of a face.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onyx Ricsina
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Onyx Ricsina   Email Onyx Ricsina         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be replying too soon but one word I forgot to comment on: microliminials. A later sentence, about 2 paragraphs down states "This one was equipped do do only two things: play music and insert microliminals into the music to help him sleep and wake up easily." Through the context of the above sentence, the microliminals are higher fuction subliminals.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
Description of character seems unnecessary to me this early on. It is too run of the mill to describe your character's physical appearance at the very beginning, it doesn't sound terrible, but it certainly doesn't set you apart either.

In point of fact, my opinion is that most characters don't really need a physical description. The imagination of the reader can supply a body that their mind says fits the thoughts and words that the character has. It is fun for the reader to invent the character himself, one of the things that makes books better than movies.

Anyway, you have more powerful stuff in this story than simply describing your man. So use some of it, and make this opening amazing instead of just good.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ash to a point. Some characters physical descriptions can actually be a plot point though. Think "American Psycho." The main character was obsessed with his appearance. It is paramount that we know what he is obsessed about.

Where I do agree is that you need not load much of the physical description of the MC in the first paragraph unless it truelly is a plot point.

That being said the description you give has a unique style to it. I enjoyed it.

scott

Scott

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This is cinematic. It makes sense for a screenplay, but for fiction, we almost always like POV. Give us a POV character and show us how he/she perceives what's happening.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read it several times to understand it, but once I did, it sounded intriging. Clearly 13 lines is not enough to really understand what's going on. But I think you should slow down, take more time describing each thing. Use more descriptive language. For example, in the second sentence, you described something totally weird and then described its action all in the same sentence. Take 2 or 3 sentences describing what the heck the shadow thing is, and than go on to its actions.

Some things that made it confusing:
"THE heart rate"? Whose heart rate?
Why would "scrap cloth" be furniture?
"Medium build and average height" doesnt't really tell you what the thing looks like anyway, so might as well take it out. Or use more descriptive, original language.
What's 0430? Instead of just a number, say something more specific to time, such as "the hour" or "the half hour." If the actual time is important, but that right after.
"something inhuman" does not sound like a sound to me. Say "an inhuman sound." Also, what does "inhuman" mean anyway? Come up with something more descriptive.

Of course, it's pointless for you to pay attention to my minor corrections if you're just going to rewrite it, but I wanted you to see the places where your language wasn't clear.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 

Strongly agree with the previous posters, especially Tara.

I’d like to add one thing.
This sentence was really confusing:

“Dimly lit against his outline, the wall terminal ticked away the last few seconds approaching 0430 while something inhuman issued forth from the general direction of the stretching shadow that would roughly translate to “I’m up” to anyone fluent enough to understand the language of bachelor.”

It’s a tangled knot. I had to read it several times to understand it. Try to break it up. Coming in at a whopping 46 words, it has two subjects, two predicates and three adjectives. A little too much for my taste. There is no reason they should all be clumped together in that sentence. Try to scan your existing work for more sentences like this and see if you can fix them.

Good luck
-Donelle

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.