Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Waltz of the Deaf (Sci-fi thriller)

Author Topic: Waltz of the Deaf (Sci-fi thriller)
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 
(Edit: so embarrassing, I spelled Def instead of Deaf. So that's Waltz of the Deaf)

Well, I think I’ve dished out enough, now I’m ready for a helping myself. I have two stories in the works and I've been wondering which to post first. I chose this one because it irks me the most.
Sometimes I look at it and I want to wipe it from the face of my hard-drive. Other times it seems just right. I just want to know once and for all, does it work?

quote:

I camouflaged my thoughts to the sounds of an old Miles Davis tune – Blue in Green. Passersby were notes strolling casually across the piano. Rain pattered lightly on the skin of drum. Thick fog gave the Harlem night all the seeming of a smoky jazz club. And Me, I was the trumpet, sharp yet smooth and slightly above it all. My target, big and agile, weaving in and out of the human traffic was the tenor sax.

I followed my target, a class 3A telekinetic up 125th street past the newly renovated Apollo theater. Their talent for mind reading made stalking 3As a major pain in the ass, but to him, I was just a guy with a tune in his head. As long as my thoughts remained veiled in music I could blend into the crowd.

Since I'll be looking for readers soon I won’t say much about the plot except that music features prominently. I really want to know if you’d read on from reading this? Why or why not? Thanks!

Also, what title do you think is better; Deaf Man's Waltz, Waltz of the Deaf or Waltz for the Deaf. I would note that the protagonist is not literally deaf. Is the title then misleading.

P.s. Is there any way to edit topic titles?

[This message has been edited by Donelle (edited January 08, 2007).]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I would read on. It's a good hook and I enjoy the style of it. I prefer Def Mans Waltz, though I can't rightly tell you why.

Well done.

How many words do you have?

The way you spelled "def" is intentional, right? You don't mean Deaf. Intentional or not, I prefer "Def."

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited January 08, 2007).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the concept is interesting, but you've made a profoundly bad choice by using first person present tense with a POV character who is deliberately masking his conscious thoughts. This will rapidly make your narrative impenetrable or implausible, probably both, but certainly one or the other.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
P.s. Is there any way to edit topic titles?

I have to do it, Donelle.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all! And thanks KDW for changing the title!

So that’s one vote for Deaf Man’s Waltz. That was actually the first title I thought of.

Thanks Trailmix! So far I have some 3,000 odd words of disjointed scenes and scattered dialogue. When it’s all said and done it should come to about 6,500 - 7,500 words. And I agree Survivor, the story would be quite impenetrable if I kept this up, but I assure potential readers that the protagonist’s thoughts are not camouflaged throughout the entire story! Only for one or two short action sequences. The opening scene leads into a flashback of how it all started and thereafter into the resolution of the main conflict. I’ll repost when I’ve finished the rough draft, probably in a week or two.

Best!
-Donelle

[This message has been edited by Donelle (edited January 08, 2007).]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
Very skilfully done. Bravo.

However I think Survivor found the Achilles heal. You can't mask your thoughts if you're narrating them.

I'd read on anyway.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read on, well done. as long as there is not too much 1st person POV in the music mask. very nice

Def man's waltz rolls off the mental tongue better for me.

you tell us a lot about the MC with the line about following a telepath is a pain in the ass. I was hooked on the concept of being able to follow a telepath without him/her knowing it, and you tell me that to the MC it is nothing more than a pain in the ass.

nicely done. let me know when you need readers.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slartibartfast
Member # 4673

- posted      Profile for Slartibartfast   Email Slartibartfast         Edit/Delete Post 
since the narration is in past tense it doesn't seem to be a problem
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected, and ashamed I didn't realize that before.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, I'm puzzled. I thought it was present.

Anyway, past tense needs a reason for the narrator to tell the story to the (fictional) audience.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.