Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Opening of an unfinished fantasy story.

Author Topic: Opening of an unfinished fantasy story.
WetherbyOwl
Member # 4967

- posted      Profile for WetherbyOwl   Email WetherbyOwl         Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot know the cold darkness in which I dwell. Cold as winter’s white cloak, as black as night. I do not love or hate. I do not weep or laugh. I do not extend mercy or cruelty. I walk on a thin line between good and evil. A slender cord, a pierless bridge. One without walls or rails, support or foundation; simply the meeting point between two opposing forces. The point of annihilation. Half of me is eaten, the other consumed—yet I live, if what I have is indeed life. I exist, aware of nothing but myself and the dichotomy which suspends me. And yet, there is a memory, which is a part of myself. A memory of my soul, which is not. Vampires do not have souls.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I would cut almost all of this except the very last bit (which could be rephrased a little).

quote:
Vampires do not have souls. But I remember when I had one.

Lose all the emo stuff, it's way overdone for vampires already. More to the point, it prevents us from crediting the narrator as being reliable rather than a drama queen. And all the pathos and contradiction is contained in the memory of a lost soul. For emo, it wasn't badly written, but I don't like emo. Others may disagree.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree. The last little bit grabs me. The rest just confused me -- I couldn't figure what the narrator was talking about.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I like some of the semi-paradoxical imagery -- white cloak / black as night, eaten / consumed -- but I think you spend too long getting to where you're going. Vampires aren't an unusual subject for a story, so I think you can set a tone in fewer words, and then possibly set us up for what's special about _your_ vampire and the plot you're leading into.

P.S. Between the moment I started replying and the moment I hit send, Survivor and WBriggs already responded, and I agree with them. Whether you want to cut everything or not is up to you -- setting the mood is important, too -- but there are probably a lot of more important things to get across in order to capture the reader's attention.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited February 07, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmckendry
Member # 4936

- posted      Profile for kmckendry   Email kmckendry         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Survivor. I started reading your passage and skipped down to the replies before reading the whole thing. I stopped around "The point of . . "

I think it was just too much upfront. I'd keep the ideas and potentially use them as the story progresses.

Keith

[This message has been edited by kmckendry (edited February 07, 2007).]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I like most of it, just condense and get to the vampire stuff quicker. But I do like the contradictions and descriptions. The prose flows for me.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WetherbyOwl
Member # 4967

- posted      Profile for WetherbyOwl   Email WetherbyOwl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.