Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » In Between Dreams (revised)

Author Topic: In Between Dreams (revised)
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
Want to see if this hooks the reader, and if anyone would be willing to read the whole short story, which is roughly 1600 words.

John stood in his room, listening to the yelling down the hallway. The yells began to echo louder and louder and in his mind they feed the shadows till only darkness existed. A darkness his eyes strained to see through, but not a sliver of light could be seen. He could only feel what felt like hard wet rock along a wall and listen to sounds of scraping and ripping, of what sounded like flesh and reeked of blood, making him huddle against the wall. His body began to tremble and cold tears rolled down his face.

End, please end, take me away he prayed. Time slowed and a light shined around the silhouette of a lady. Her body slim and tall with long hair that flowed in all directions.
“Where do you go inside that head of yours?” A voice spoke. The light faded and his mom stood in his room.

[This message has been edited by Grijalva (edited February 08, 2007).]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmckendry
Member # 4936

- posted      Profile for kmckendry   Email kmckendry         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked. Send me the rest. It may take a few days for me to get to it, but I will review and critique.

Let me know if I need to do something more to get the copy.

Keith

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph confused me. I didn't know if it was a hall in a house or a dungeon, or how yells can feed shadows. I would like the description to be crystal clear, even if John doesn't know where he is (and you can say that, too).

Cold tears? Why cold?

The 2nd-3rd paragraphs were hilarious. This is good stuff.

I do want to point out that the surprise you just pulled won't work again and again -- but it worked here, great.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want readers I would be happy to give you my newbee opinion. another set of eyes might not hurt. send it over.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't succeed in making it clear that John is in a mundane situation and then falls into an altered mental state of some kind. I was unable to parse any meaningful information out of the sequence, other than that the POV found it unpleasant.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bro-k
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for bro-k   Email bro-k         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to read as a newbie.
I do have to agree with some of the replies it took a couple reads for me to catch that he is in a basic life setting, though I suppose with a little rewording it would come to the reads realization faster. Of course if the next line realy makes it clear than it should be fine.
I am hooked though so you got the job done there.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the comments, and I'll try to send the story out today.

I changed the beginning just a bit to make it clearer, hopefully now the reader won't be too confused.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There still isn't anything to indicate that "his room" is a mundane setting.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know what's been bothering me about this one. You start with the life fantastic and THEN yank us into the ordinary. IMHO, it might work better if you do it the other way.

Show us the "normal" world in the first 5-10 lines, then yank us into the "fantasy" world as the hook.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don’t have much time to read any more but send me a copy. It has cough my interest and I would like to see where it leads.
Rommel Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.