Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dust, grit... Short story, horror / supernatural suspense.

Author Topic: Dust, grit... Short story, horror / supernatural suspense.
jonner
Member # 5509

- posted      Profile for jonner   Email jonner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dust, Itch, Grit, Thirst
By Jonner

Billy Hackbarth had decided long ago that if he was going to become a vampire he couldn’t shy away from killing people. His first and only killing had been a cashier in Saint Louis, a small man with blue pants and a permanently wrinkled nose. Billy had come up behind him while he was stocking little overpriced cans of tomato soup and pushed him, hard, just to mess with him. He hadn’t meant to kill the guy and it pissed him off now. He had wanted to plan the first one really smart like Hannibal Lector or Jeffrey Dahmer, not almost get caught in a stupid prank that crushed some old prick’s larynx right in front of a convenience store video camera.

This is an unfinished short story I had begun to write in response to a compitition (i think it was Writers Digest "short, short story" contest.) I have since thought i should attempt to finish it. Horror is not my usual style, however i had an idea which i thought might be interesting to explore. It is about 4 and a half pages single spaced, (so far) and i'd be happy to e-mail it to anyone who would want to reveiw it for me. I had wanted to wait longer before posting it but i got to excited. Please let me know if the content is to much for the forum and i'll remove it immediately, however, these days i figured the use of that one word would only rate a PG - 13 ... please educate me if i am mistaken.

Some first thoughts...

I know the voice is passive. Tenses and POV probably need to be worked on a little, however the story does transision into the present tense eventually. The POV is tricky too... Is there such a thing as omnipreset first person? hehe

thank you for your time.

jonner

PS, yes, the title is a statement from a well known writer, but i don't think it's to popular, should i have a disclaimer or should it remain an obscure factiod? Also, i've read OSC's character and viewpoint, which i loved, its just been many years. :-)

ps. evedently blank lines count in the 13. this makes no sense to me, but i've just cut it at the first paragraph then.

[This message has been edited by jonner (edited May 26, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 27, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by jonner (edited May 28, 2007).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you've noted most of the problems already.

I really don't know what else to say exactly.

I like the first sentence except for "long ago" it places too much emphasis on everyone knowing about vampires and even contemporary vamp mythos doesn't have Lestat et al living completely in the open.

First and only conflicts with your "not shy about it" line.

Your use of the word "was" for two different tenses need to be adjusted. I'd recommend moving the word "now" to the beginning of the third sentence to ensure the reader distinguishes between past and present.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The POV is tricky too... Is there such a thing as omnipreset first person? hehe

Since this is written in third person, I'm now sure where you're getting first from?

quote:
Billy Hackbarth had decided long ago that if he was going to become a vampire he couldn’t shy away from killing people. His first [one and only would be better]and only killing had been a cashier in Saint Louis, a small man with blue pants and a permanently wrinkled nose. Billy had come up behind him while he was stocking little overpriced cans of tomato soup and pushed him, hard, just to mess with him. He hadn’t meant to kill the guy and it pissed him off now.[I think you're concentrating too much on this man he killed, which isn't important really] He had wanted to plan the first one really smart like Hannibal Lector or Jeffrey Dahmer, not almost get caught in a stupid prank that crushed some old prick’s larynx right in front of a convenience store video camera.

Billy’s hair was short and bleached blond back in Saint Louis. That seemed long ago, but it had only been two years. His hair was black and grey and matted now, nearly reaching his shoulders. [This could be said more succintly. Bleached infers blond and there is too much imformation again about something that doesn't seem important to the story] St. Louis was where Ginger [Who's Ginger - girlfriend, sister, friend? Who?] had left, claiming she was going to find “them.” At first Billy had thought she was kidding...

You're trying to tell us things we don't need to know, instead of telling us what he is doing NOW. If its important to the story, then have this imformation further in. This doesn't hook me as it is. I have no idea what you're telling us or why. What's the conflict in this story - as yet, we have none.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited May 26, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
i'll read it. send it on. That line "his one and only killing? I'm thinking that he has already done vampire kills before teh start of the story, so maybe it could be clarified that his first and only pre-vampire killing?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

Billy Hackbarth had decided long ago[,] that if he was going to become a vampire[,] he couldn’t shy away from killing people. [His first and only killing had been a cashier in Saint Louis[,<--end sentence here.] [a small man with blue pants and a permanently wrinkled nose.<--needed? I think the story progresses well enough without the excess description of a minor character.] Billy had come up behind him while he was stocking [little overpriced<--needed?] cans of tomato soup and pushed him, hard[,<--End the sentence here. Suggestion: He'd only wanted] to mess with him. [He hadn’t meant to kill the guy and<--This is redundant, if he'd only wanted to mess with the guy. I]t pissed him off[,] now. He [had<--needed?] wanted [to plan<--needed?] the first one really smart[,] like Hannibal Lector or Jeffrey Dahmer, not almost get caught in a stupid prank that crushed some old prick’s larynx[,] right in front of a convenience store video camera.

• How did he push the old cashier and crush his larynx?
  • I think it's a bit heavy on the description, for a remembered incident. OR, is this not a flashback?

I suggest you finish the story, and then go back through it for inconsistancies, PoV, and narrarator's voice. By the time you get to the end, maybe you will have different thoughts on the beginning.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • Sara Genge
    Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
    Not bad at all. I would read but I don't offer to crit unfinished stories because the end is usually such an important part that anything I say about the rest will probably be wrong if I can't know how it's supposed to end. If you finish it, feel free to send it to me.

I like this. I get, by the way he kills the guy, that he's got superhuman strength? I was a bit thrown off by the convenience store video, which I read as "convenient video" (as in ironic, you see), but if nobody else has this problem just ignore me.

This phrase sounds weird

quote:
    He hadn’t meant to kill the guy and it pissed him off now

He hadn't meant to kill the guy and it had bugged him ever since.
    Is this what you mean?
    Or,
    He hadn't meant to kill the guy and now he realized what a bad mistake that was.

I tend to think the description of this killing is important. It gives great insight on this character's lack of scrupules. I find it interesting that he feels that killing someone was a mistake not because it was wrong but because it was poorly timed. Evil characters are difficult to pull off, but I'm already interested in this one

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    jonner
    Member # 5509

- posted      Profile for jonner   Email jonner         Edit/Delete Post 
    I don’t know how to respond to all this quick response, thank you all. I appreciate all of your input, although I admit I don’t see eye to eye about some things, but I find it helpful. I don’t intend to reply right away as I think I don’t want to be to hasty. I can see that some of the intro may need tweaking as some confusion resulted that I did not foresee. I will update this soon. Thank you so much. Your input has definitely made me want to finish this up, THANKS.

Jonner

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Lianne
    Member # 5491

- posted      Profile for Lianne           Edit/Delete Post 
    Just a note at the end
    Maybe think about writing this in the present as it makes it more hooky. I have no problem with it, but loving Vampire tales I do tend to need to be bitten quite hard by the story quite early on as I have read a lot of them.
    lianne

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Marzo
    Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    Billy Hackbarth had decided long ago that if he was going to become a vampire he couldn’t shy away from killing people. His first and only killing had been a cashier in Saint Louis, a small man with blue pants and a permanently wrinkled nose. Billy had come up behind him while he was stocking little overpriced cans of tomato soup and pushed him, hard, just to mess with him. He hadn’t meant to kill the guy and it pissed him off now. He had wanted to plan the first one really smart like Hannibal Lector or Jeffrey Dahmer, not almost get caught in a stupid prank that crushed some old prick’s larynx right in front of a convenience store video camera.

You and others have already pointed out the difficulties, so I'll say what I liked from a quick read-through.

-The very first sentence. That he somehow decided how he was going to deal with vampirism is a refreshing twist from the usual mortal-made-vampire, who's had little chance to plan and is thrust into the nocturnal world unawares. That Billy has some kind of pre-existing, level-headed philosophy about it gets me interested in Billy, and especially the circumstances surrounding his vampirism.

-The dashes of characterization for the clerk - blue pants, permanently wrinkled nose - work well; succinct, but they give us enough of an image of this person to care a little about what befell him.

-That he had high aspirations to be like Hannibal & Co. but botched it up on the first try is entertaining - and that he did it in front of a video store camera, no less? I want to know where that goes, so I'd read on.

I think this has the elements of a good first 13 lines. It's a scene as much as it is a reminiscence which already gives us some hard and fast character background and flavor on Billy, and it outlines his situation and the feel of the rest of the book.

I like :)

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    DebbieKW
    Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
    Okay, people seem to be assuming that Billy Hackbarth already is a vampire, but I was guessing that he and Ginger want to become vampires but aren't vampires yet. In the first 13, you're telling us that Billy tried to kill ahead of time to prepare himself for his future un-life and blotched things. Ginger left to actually find a vampire so that she could become one.

quote:
    Billy Hackbarth had decided long ago that if he was going to become a vampire he couldn’t shy away from killing people. ....where Ginger had left, claiming she was going to find “them.” At first Billy had thought she was kidding...

Am I correct that he isn't a vampire at this time? If so, maybe that needs to be clearer.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.