Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Creation (SF/F)

Author Topic: Creation (SF/F)
Nemonus
Member # 5474

- posted      Profile for Nemonus   Email Nemonus         Edit/Delete Post 
“Create a universe or die.”

Fear did not rise in me because of the impossibility of this request but rather because of the possibility. The belligerent statement meshed too well with the grooves my thoughts had recently been running in.

The Aryan man standing in the Ral-tze scroll-library repeated his threat. The shining dust motes settled around he and I and the yellow light.

[This message has been edited by Nemonus (edited May 30, 2007).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

“Create a universe or die.” [I need to know who is saying this.]

Fear did not rise in me because of the impossibility of this request[,] but rather because of the possibility. The belligerent statement meshed too well with the grooves my thoughts had recently been running in.[Huh? This seems more like beating around the bush, than telling us anything.]

The Aryan man standing in the Ral-tze scroll-library repeated his threat.[What Aryan man? Where did he come from? What library? Why is the MC in one? Who is the MC? The shining dust motes settled around he and I and the yellow light.

This falls short of the 13 lines.

• I'm confused.
  • You've withheld information.
  • Is the man being Aryan significant?
  • Who is the MC?
  • Why is this library significant?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 30, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • darklight
    Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
    I don't have a problem with no knowing who spoke the words at the beginning. I did have a problem with this:

quote:
    The belligerent statement meshed too well with the grooves my thoughts had recently been running in.

It's too awkward for me. I would suggest simplify and go for something along the line: ... too well with my recent thoughts.

And this:

quote:
    The shining dust motes settled around he and I and the yellow light.

Why not just say: around us and the yellow light.

I am intersted in this, and would read more.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Marzo
    Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    “Create a universe or die.”(1)

Fear did not rise in me because of the impossibility of this request but rather because of the possibility.(2) The belligerent statement meshed too well with the grooves my thoughts had recently been running in.(3)

The Aryan man(4) standing in the Ral-tze scroll-library repeated his threat. The shining dust motes settled around he and I and the yellow light.(5)

First off, this is interesting. My interest is definitely piqued, and I would read more.

A few things that I'd like to comment upon:
    1. I think this opener is effective because it doesn't have a tag on it. It's punchy, short, and makes the reader ask, "woah, who said that?" And you tell them shortly afterwards, so I don't agree that it needs to have a tag directly on it.

2. A little awkward. Perhaps, "fear rose in me not because of the impossibility of this request, but rather because of the possibility of it." Stating "fear did not rise in me" makes the reader think, well, fear didn't rise in him! But it did, so what we need is a little more clarity.

3. It's not a good idea to end a sentence in a preposition (in). Also, I feel there's something of a mixed metaphor here; you say the statement meshed, and then you describe grooves. Both are meant to suggest some kind of fitting together, or mingling, I understand, but one's sort of an adjective for fabric or soft materials and the other is hard - can this be changed to create a more unified, powerful metaphor? Also, emphasis might be added by saying the statement meshed "all" too well, but this is an item of personal preference and character voice.

4. This word has a few sketchy meanings, and I'm not entirely sure which one you mean here. Do you mean he's simply white? Are you referencing the Sanskrit/Avestan word meaning "noble"? I'd hope to see an explanation shortly after the first thirteen, if it couldn't be clarified immediately.

5. I'd like the light source explained. Is the ambient light in the room just yellow for some reason, or is there actually a light source that's yellow? Is it a window? A lamp? Why is it yellow, and not white? Also, at this juncture, since you just mentioned his threat, I might like a detail about him rather than the surroundings. Does he have piercing eyes? Is he smirking? Is he furious? I'd like that highlighted rather than light sources or surroundings.

I think you have a hook here. At least, I was hooked, and made curious.

[edited for an entertaining spelling mistake]

[This message has been edited by Marzo (edited May 30, 2007).]

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    ArachneWeave
    Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
    Looks like previous commenters have pretty well covered all the nits a mere four sentences can afford! (If my numbers off, no, I did not count, just guessed from memory.)
    So all I'll say, is this has both a great opening line and an tone that sounds like it will come into a full-blown voice for your narrator. I like that.
    Good choice of cutting spots. You've got the stuff...

Are you looking for readers?

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Wolfe_boy
    Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
    Two quick points, as the rest has been pretty thoroughly covered.

1. He is experiencing fear, but it seems to me that this fear is unimportant except in that one sentence. It is never mentioned again, not even hinted at by a character reaction, a response, nothing. It is like the fear does not exist. Does it? Convince me.

2. The shining dust motes settled around he and I and the yellow light. This is a little too purple for my tastes, and completely unnecessary. Replace this line maybe with a brief description of the library. Or replace it with some form of response from your narrator. I'd opt for a response, but that's just me.

As of right now, I'm done with reading this. There is no reason for me to continue reading a story about one person making demands and another not responding whatsoever. Sorry.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    KayTi
    Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
    I was confused and found some of the wording cumbersome. It could be that shorter sentences would do it, but that might change the voice too much. It could just be me. Other posters have addressed specific questions I had and/or specific thoughts I had about missing referents (what caused the fear to rise.)

FWIW, I thought Create a universe or die" was the title of the work. LOL, the missing dialogue tags threw me. Probably wouldn't in a manuscript format, but just FYI.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Nemonus
    Member # 5474

Ah, purpleness strikes me again. It tends to do that, and I need to sacrifice what tries to be opetic to be clear. Thanks for pointing out where exactly that happened. darklight, ArachneWeave and Marzo, you wouldn't mind me sending you the rest? I'll fix the sentences which I agree need fixing.

Also, thanks for "So all I'll say, is this has both a great opening line and an tone that sounds like it will come into a full-blown voice for your narrator. I like that.
    Good choice of cutting spots. You've got the stuff..." I'm not sure what that last line means though.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    darklight
    Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
    No problem send away.
    Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Marzo
    Member # 5495

I won't guarantee swiftness of response, but send away :)
    Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Nemonus
    Member # 5474

I've sent to Marzo today and to darklight a while ago.
    Marzo
    Member # 5495

Belatedly, Marzo has replied! Should be in your inbox, N.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.