Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Burn the Universe on Both Ends

Author Topic: Burn the Universe on Both Ends
Jidin
Member # 4387

- posted      Profile for Jidin   Email Jidin         Edit/Delete Post 
BURN THE UNIVERSE AT BOTH ENDS

An alien tapped me on the shoulder.

“Pardon me,” it said, “but you’re a science fiction writer, correct?”

I swiveled in my chair to face it, leaving the next sentence of my novel half-typed. I finished a drag on my cigarette, and exhaled in the alien’s face.

“Yup,” I said. “Didn’t I just write about you? What are you doing off the page?”

Waving a tendril to clear away the smoke, it nodded. “Yes. I believe you described me as ‘having a body like that of a praying mantis stuck on spider legs, with stunted, ribbed wings and a triangular head spotted with more than three dozen lenses that might’ve been eyes…’”

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 31, 2007).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
Although the "fiction character that became real" is no longer a surprise, I did like the candor of the conversation.

It was what I imagine I would do if one of my characters just appeared.

I could read more, though there was no distinct hook.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jidin, welcome to Hatrack, where advice is cheap, abundant and above average.

I like the dialog and pace. My gut reaction (and I suppose the first 13 is an appeal to gut reactions) is that similar ideas have been done a few times and that you'll need a touch more information about what will happen between the Writer and the Written to overcome this reaction.

--WouldBe

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Jidin.

That's an interesting self-referent point of view. You are ... err ... the writer is pretty gutsy blowing smoke in the face of such a creature. After creature feeds back your description, my imagination continues with

*GULP*

as the creature truncates your body at the neck and truncates this story to a flash fiction.

Seriously, the whole thing has me hooked. Are you looking for readers?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the title.

This could be amusing, but it's metafiction, not fiction, and thus not really my sort of thing. You'd need to submit it to a market that does this sort of thing, I think, and I'm not sure which markets do that.

If you're interested in feedback but not in a hurry, I'd be willing to tell you what I think about the whole thing. (When you post to F&F, it would help us understand what you wanted if you said so up front: "This is science metafiction, 1200 words, looking for readers" or what have you.)

And welcome to Hatrack.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jidin
Member # 4387

- posted      Profile for Jidin   Email Jidin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the welcomes and feedback. I'm grateful for the candid opinions, and hopefully I can start getting involved with some reads of my own again (I started on here a while back, but then got caught up in life and all the usual blather)

Anyways, I'll send it around to those who want a look at the whole bit. It's not long..just over 2k.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't normally post about something that I've read offline, but I think Jidin's story illustrates something worth noting.

Jidin has a gimmick: the alien is the actualization of the author's imagination.

Jidin also has a hook. Unfortunately, it's on the second page of the manuscript.

Lesson I take away from it: if possible, make sure the hook gets onto the first page, and avoid letting the gimmick -- no matter how cool -- get in the way of that goal.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.