Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Alchemy: the chemist

Author Topic: Alchemy: the chemist
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13, thought I'd post it while I'm finishing up. Too weird? Not weird enough? You be the judge.

I always knew I was destined for great things. Dude, I'm me, after all. Still, the twists and turns that my life has taken have surprised even me. Zombies? Werewolves and vampires? It's probably the only thing in the known universe I didn't worry about on a regular basis. Go figure.
I've always believed in better living through chemistry, so to speak, but nevertheless, everyone that knew me was shocked when I enrolled at the university. Major? Organic chemistry, natch. See, here's my theory: Designer recreational drugs are making money hand over fist, and I want some. Money, I mean. I stay away from doing my own product. I know too many guys so caught up in the merchandise, that they stopped being businessmen and just became hopeless junkies. I wanted to do it

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's not a matter of weird - it seems pretty conventional. People do go into the production of recreational drugs and many of them do end up hooked and wasted on their own product.

This opening is being told, not shown, and as a result moves very slowly. There is some information, but little or no hook. There is no conflict.

I was left wondering why the MC should or should not be afraid of vampires, werewolves and zombies. This is never made clear.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
“Zombies? Werewolves and vampires?” are in the MC’s background. After that, nothing would be too weird – disgusting and evil perhaps, but not weird.

“It's probably the only thing …” begs the question: What’s ‘It?’ The monstrous precedents would be plural ‘they’ and context doesn’t quite fit. I don’t think there’s enough of a connection to the next paragraph to answer the question. I went reading into the 2nd paragraph still wondering about ‘It,’ then I had to reset and reread.

Monsters in the first paragraph hook a little, but they’re really dismissed. They set a fantasy background, but don’t appear to have a part in the story. The end of the second paragraph starts into the story of a drug producer/dealer that doesn’t really hook me, though it may get to others. The real hook connects to the first word of the title – how is recreational drug chemistry going to go wrong?

Looking for readers? I’ll offer.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I viewed the post after it was trimmed down to 13, so maybe the trimmed bits contain the connection between the dark creatures and the college drug aspect of the story. I agree with Jeff that some connection would help, although there is some implied connection simply by juxtaposition. Also, I would like some hint that I'll "like" the character in some fashion. (Perhaps the connection mentioned earlier accomplishes that.)

If you need any readers, I volunteer, too.

--WouldBe

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I'm thinking the trim down was one line at most, so there wasn't really much info lost in the cut. I'll have the first draft - which is mostly the show and tell version - done today, and send it out. Then I'll get to work on stroking in the action. Thanks for offering to read!
The MC isn't really a very sympathetic character, so I was wondering if HE was too weird or the topic was too weird. I do a lot of work with substance abuse, I wasn't sure how interesting this would be to someone who isn't in this field.
deb

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting to me. You've already had the problem with "It's" pointed out to you. I would focus on finding a reason for us to like this character.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the "better living through chemistry" line - hilarious.

Some nits:
Dude, I'm me...I would switch to "Hey, ..." or something. Maybe "Hey - this is ME we're talking about here..." or something like that.

You know the passage from zombies, werewolves and vampires to the next sentence is tricky. What is it that is probably the only thing I don't worry about?

Designer recreational drugs was a mouthful. I know it's a somewhat normal term, but how about just designer drugs? We'll get the "recreational" connotation from the better living through chemistry and other bits.

I suggest a new paragraph for "I stay away from my own product." That's an important thought and it gets lost in the middle of this paragraph.

Good luck! Seems a great start. Can't offer to read more this week, but maybe on a second draft?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

will do, KayTi. Thanks
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's already touched on other items I'd probably mention, so I'll just go with the one I saw and no one else has brought up.

Here's two lines from the first paragraph.

1) I always knew I was destined for great things. Dude, I'm me, after all.

2) It's probably the only thing in the known universe I didn't worry about on a regular basis. Go figure.

The first line sounds very very self confident, full of bravado, like the kind of person who refers to themself in the third person. The second makes me think of Woody Allen.

Which one is it, deb?

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited August 07, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

that is an EXCELLENT point,and the reason I would never dream of sending something off without checking with you guys first. Thanks a lot for pointing out the switch on the characterization. Ready to read and spot the rest, Jayson?
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing. I'm not promising speedy return (one in the que ahead of you) but I'll check it over.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be hooked enough to turn the page.

As people have mentioned, the use of "dude" is a little odd. I wouldn't say it is bad itself but it feels like it is out of place. It seems like there are almost two narrators; the normal one (as represented in sentences 1, 3, 4, etc) and the California beach bum turned drug dealer (as represented phrases like "due" and "natch").

It does set the story up for a nice fantastical tale, however, and helps convey that this guy is smart yet "street," in that late 80's/early 90's sort of way. It is odd, but I think forgivable and accomplishes what you are looking for.

One other thing, however, is I was terribly confused by:

"It's probably the only thing in the known universe I didn't worry about on a regular basis"

What is "it's" referring to? His life? Zombies?

And on a totally different note, I am slightly curious as to if you have read H.P. Lovecraft's "The Alchemist." I was reminded of it while reading your first 13.

~Joel

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

No, haven't read Lovecraft's Alchemist, but I did have a lovecraft collection of shorts floating around the house a while ago. I don't think I ever finished more than the first two or three stories, and then my daughter snagged it. I'll see if I can find a copy. And you are totally right, I was timing this in late '80s, early '90s. This story was actually inspired when I put my foot in my mouth and IAB was giving me a hard time about not knowing was ergot was - this is my ergot story.
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you want to read The Alchemist you have a copy right at your figure-tips. Lovecraft's works are no longer protected by copyright so they are easy enough to find online: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Alchemist_%28Lovecraft%29

It was nothing major that associated one to the other in my mind; it was simply the title and a connection to the paranormal (I am presuming that your MC's abilities with chemicals will tie in to Vampires, Zombies, and Werewolves somehow).

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Werewolves and Zombies and Vamps, oh my!

thanks, snorri

debhoag
Member # 5493

Rewrite is done, anybody willing to take a look? Jayson and Kayti?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 14, 2007).]

mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
If you aren't in a hurry to get it back, I'll read.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

bless you, I'm not in hurry! I'll get it out today.
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like the "dude." It's very frat boy. I can almost immediately picture this guy from the way he talks - self-absorbed and not very risk conscious. I agree that the monster reference throws me a bit, but it still sounds like a fun piece. I'd like to read the whole thing, actually.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

I would be willing to give it a read (okay, I lied, I am anxious to give it a read actually). I am rather busy, however, so it would be at least a week before I could get it back to you, probably close to one and a half weeks.
debhoag
Member # 5493

Dude, it's comin' your way. Natch
debhoag
Member # 5493

For all you kind souls out there who have read for me, I just posted the (lengthy) scene describing Tab's activities on the college campus to Oliverhouse's Cutting Blog and he has done a masterful job of cutting the text while retaining the flavor of the original. It's really a learning experience, and one I am delighted to have had. See the link in Oliverhouse's post right below this. Check it out!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 19, 2007).]

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Deb, I'm glad you liked it.

I don't host by blog on Blogger, although I use their blogging services. This is the link to your submission.

I didn't offer to read your story when you posted here to F&F because I was busy and because it didn't sound like it was my style. I'm glad I read it, though -- it's a hoot. Good luck with publication.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.