Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Blood Machine- SF

Author Topic: Blood Machine- SF
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Blood Machine,
Science Fiction
I'm just looking for comments on the first 13 at this point. Thanks!

In the yellow glow of the kerosene lamp Samantha pressed her face against the metal curves of her dead lover's machine and listened.
The machine could make no sound, her husband, Jeremy, insisted. It had no electricity, no steam to power it. But she couldn't forget what she'd heard, a low deep thump. Like a heart beat. The sound resonated in her dreams, and at the soiree last night she'd heard it and faltered mid-sentence. Jeremy had frowned at her from across the room. Everyone else had mistaken the look for concern, but she had seen the edge of accusation and hurt in his eyes, and had known what he longed to remind her. <i>Anthony is dead.</i>
But Anthony's machine, this hulk of black steel resting in its small shed somehow lived, and Samantha could not rest until

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HauntedShirley
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for HauntedShirley   Email HauntedShirley         Edit/Delete Post 
This piece sounds as if it's set in the Victorian era, so that's a hook for me.
I'm interested in this triangle, and would definitely read on.

I would prefer the first sentence to begin with "Samantha pressed her face against the metal curves of her dead lover's machine and listened..." and mention the kerosene lamp in the second sentence.

I won't do grammar or punctuation nitpicks at this point. I would really like to read the whole story.

[This message has been edited by HauntedShirley (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to mention Anthony's name sooner. I immediately confused him with Jeffrey. Otherwise, I like the mood of the piece and look forward to the rest of it.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm getting from these 13 lines is as much in a horror genre as in science fiction.

Is the machine something that Anthony built? It obviously reminds her of him. Does it do more? This is the hook for me.

It's as if the machine has captured or preserved part of Anthony, at least to her mind - hence the horror aspect.

I think Jeremy's reaction is natural if she's talked to him about what she hears and how she feels about it.

Can't tell more without reading more. You will tell us when it's ready, won't you?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. This definately has a hook. It reminds me of Tell-Tale Heart.

This seems a little tortured, with the preceeding 'had' in the first clause and missing preposition:
...and had known what he longed to remind her.

Maybe something like:
...and knew about what he longed to remind her.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it and would read more.
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Wow guys, thanks for the great responses. I'll get cracking on it!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
This comes off as something fairly unique, which sets my expectations a little high. The mystery of the box and why it is called a "machine" has my full attention. I want to find out.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Yay! Draft one is ready! any kind souls who want to be readers? It's about 2500 words.

Oh, I should add the story has changed so the title "blood machine" is a little misleading. The concept is still the same, but some of the specifics have steered away from the imagery of that title. i just don't want to mislead you guys.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited August 17, 2007).]

Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read this, if you like.
Jon.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll offer to read

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.