Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 - Solomon's Tale - 1K Flash

Author Topic: First 13 - Solomon's Tale - 1K Flash
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this on a lark this morning, after I found a site that is calling for short fiction (<1,000 words) to publish on a daily basis. Comments on the first 13 are, of course, welcome. I could also use a few readers of the whole thing - this is my first crack at something quite this short - I don't know if I've quite nailed it or not.

quote:

Solomon looked up from the essay he was reading. A girl was standing in the door of his office, quiet in the autumn twilight. She looked familiar, though her name escaped him; front row in his American Lit class, on the far left. Bethany, maybe.

“Good evening,” he said. He hadn’t heard her approach. How long she had stood there?

“Good evening Professor James.” She was holding a book, clutched tight to her chest. “Do you mind… I’m not interrupting, am I? I need to ask your opinion about something.”

Solomon shook his head and looked down at his watch. “I’m just grading. I didn’t realize how late it was.” He sat up on his couch and gestured to a chair across from him. Bethany held out the book to Solomon as she slid down into the chair.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for such a short piece you take quite a while to get to your hook.

There are some nice touches - I liked "quiet in the Autumn twilight." But then do we really need to know he was reading an essay when she arrived? Or that he isn't sure what her name is? Or that he was grading and didn't realize the time? I think you could tighten up this opening and save some of those precious words.

I'd like to read the whole thing though if you like.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... i'm kind of torn on this. On one hand, I do agree that you might need to improve your hook and move the story along, esp with 1000 words. On the other hand, I feel like there's something compelling about the scene you've created. Maybe because it screams with potential for an naughty relationship?

Anyway, I'd love to read it, if you like. I'm curious to see where it goes.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Solomon looked up from the essay he was reading. A girl was standing in the door of his office, quiet in the autumn twilight.How long has she stood there, I think should be here She looked familiar, though her name escaped him; front row in his American Lit class, on the far left. Bethany, maybe.
“Good evening,” he said. He hadn’t heard her approach. How long she had stood there?I think this should be earlier in the piece. It seems out of place after he's noticed her and thought about her.

quote:
She was holding a book, clutched tight to her chest

You could shrorten this, for example: She clutched a book tight to her chest.

I'll take a look if you want to send it.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited August 24, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't listen to them. You've created an effective scene and drawn the reader in. All of the things they want you to cut contribute to character and mood, both of which are compelling. I want to read more. Send it along if you want.

Only change: "had stood" doesn't work at all. "How long had she been standing there?" maybe.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
possibly the title of the book she hands him could be the hook, if it's odd enough or provocative enough. That would be a quick way to add some interest up front.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it.

In terms of cutting his "Good evening" probably isn't 100% necessary since she's going to talk when he makes eye contact. BUT it does give us a nice slice of character. He's formal.

I would like to see what the title of the book in the 13 but I'd still be reading this one on line 14.

I'd offer to read but I'm really behind on feedback already. I have some time next week to get comments on them out. So if you are still looking towards the end of next week email me and I'll let you know if I can read then.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it a lot. You manage to convey a lot of character in a small amount of time. For example, instead of just saying he is a professor of literature, you indicate it with his thinking of Bethany in the "front row in his American Lit class, on the far left", a detail that immediately puts us in the mind of a teacher.

As for a "hook" - well, I'd keep reading based on this. Not all stories have to start with something terrifying.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Much thanks to everyone who gave me feedback, both on the full and on this 13. I think I tightened the story up immensely, and it was all due to your comments. She's just been sent off and is now flying through the internet on her way to an online mag I hope to be published in... here's hoping!

Thanks again.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a lovely opening. I know its too late for crits, but could I read it anyway?
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Well, rejection letter # 1 - ever - arrived today, for this story. Ah well, comme si, comme sa. I had visions of placing my first story (heck, my first two stories, 'cause I have another out there as well) without receiving a rejection, but of course, that's far too much to ask. I still have strong hope for the other piece - it's much stronger in all ways. Solomon's Tale is weaker due to it's length requirements, and the editors seemed to feel this too.

Excerpt from the rejection: "We don't get much suspense writing, and this piece gripped me all the way through.... While excellent in nearly every respect (prose, pacing, characterization) I felt like the author was shying away from what could be a truly awesome revelation. This story is hampered by the word count, I think. With the number of submissions we're receiving we've had to make some painful choices, and this one unfortunately, has to be cut.

Please consider this your invitation to submit another piece, hopefully something suspenseful like this one."

So, now I've got an invitation to submit something else, a genre I could stick to, and the goal of really sticking a sub 1K piece of writing. I think this particular piece is destined for mothballs, or my personal website at the least. I don't know if I want to take the time to re-inflate it back to it's original 1,200 words, and then expand on it even more. It's just a small vignette based on the back-story of a main character of mine in a novel-in-progress. I'll have to think on this some more before she goes up for all the world to see, though.

Once again, thanks everyone. MrsBrown, I will send it your way - the completed, edited, and ultimately rejected version.

Jayson Merryfield

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's an encouraging rejection. They will probably look out for your name in future.

By the way, what was the zine?

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Every Day Fiction.

Feel free to subscribe. It's a nice daily dose of short fiction, and freely accessable either through email or RSS.

Jayson Merryfield

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.