Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » call me Ishmael

Author Topic: call me Ishmael
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
first thirteen of a sci fi.

My name is Jededia Whitmore, and none of this is my fault. My friends used to tease me that the reason I got picked for this mission is because I'm the last remaining WASP on earth, and the suits wanted to make sure the strain didn't die out entirely.

There was fear and resentment in their eyes, though, and I didn't blame them. At least, going on the colony ship gave us one more straw to grasp. Everyone who remained on earth knew they were doomed. The people who had been accepted as space pioneers still believed that they had a chance.

I had a few doubts about that, just based in the idea that if they accepted me, something had to be wrong somewhere. I had been seeing a very discreet and very thorough psychiatrist.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Deb. It's good.

I think what is happening is there is a colony ship leaving earth, and the narrator was selected to go on the ship. Those who stay, will die. Those who go, might live.

I had to read it a second time to grasp it. The second paragraph was where I was lost.

I think I got lost because "this mission" made me think more like a special ops kind of mission. Wild assumption on my part, I know, but there it is.

The hook for me was the sense that something was wrong about him or her being picked. I'd keep reading, but think I would be looking for more of a hook along the way.

I would also be looking for an explanation of WASP fairly soon, though I don't think I would need it immediately. I get that its a strain, so I'm thinking some kind of genetic modification.

I also wasn't sure how the psychiatrist fit in, but it was the last bit of the snip, so that's understandable. I'm sure it keeps going from there.

If you're looking for readers, I'll read.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice voice and a definite hook.

Some nits:

If he's on the mission, hasn't he left earth by now? If so, it would be 'the reason I got picked for this mission is because I was the last remaining WASP on earth ...'

Would he really say 'the strain'? Perhaps, 'the suits wanted to make sure we didn't die out entirely.' Or instead of 'we', perhaps the slang term that WASPs use to refer to themselves? - which, of course, could be a tantalizing one.

'fear and resentment in their eyes' -- who 'their'? Friends, surely not, and the suits don't have feelings, do they? I imagine you mean the population left behind but for me it's not clear.

Wouldn't he identify with the people on the ship by saying something like, 'Those of us who had been accepted as space pioneers still believed that we had a chance.' ?

The last para is part of the hook, clearly. But the second sentence ("I had been seeing ...") bothers me somehow: would he mention the psychatrist so bluntly and so early? Wouldn't he fear that that would put the reader off, and try to justify or minimise it somehow, or lead us into the story a bit more before mentioning it? I can see it's important to the hook but I wondered if he would be quite so clear, so early (and I'm aware this is your area of expertise so of course I could be plain wrong)... Here's a challenge: maybe in these few lines you could hint through the style and content of narration what the problem is that took him to the psychiatrist and show us, instead of telling us, then later admit to visiting said psychiatrist, if it matters to the story. For example, more crudely than your voice but you'll get the idea: "I had a few doubts about that. If they accepted me, something had to be wrong somewhere. After all, during the interviews, I broke out in paranoid sweat every time they mentioned BEEs - stupid, I know, but that's how I am - or rather, was - and they didn't notice!"

I'd love to read it if you'd like,

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited August 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
And, if you're reading a book a day, when on earth do you find time to write?! (You are of this earth, aren't you?)

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing 'none of this is my fault' is meant to be the hook (I dont mean to assume how you intended it, just seems that way to me). But I'm left thinking, none of what? It doesn't work for me. Are the friends with him on the ship? If not, and they knew the world is doomed, wouldn't they be envious, rather than tease him? I'm not sure who the 'us' are, suits, friends, others who were picked for the mission?

You have a good voice and I would read some more.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds good, as always, and I'd like to read it. I took the last paragraph to mean that if the people selecting the colony crew had been thorough, then they would have discovered that the MC had been seeing a psychiatrist and rejected (or included) him/her on that basis. That seems like a good hook...wondering what shenannigans-and-goings-on the selection committee had in mind, or what "issues" the MC might bring to the colony table if they were careless.

Since there is some disagreement about my correct assessment :) you might want to untangle it. On the other hand, if you manage to have more than one clear hook to choose from, the reader might feel especially compelled to read on. To coin a phrase, possibly, I'll call that a metahook.

Be honest now: does the book-a-day include the ones you're reading to rug rats?

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I see some problems with this opening. It looks back at something that happened in the past: he was picked. It looks forward to something that will happen in the future: he will go into space. But nothing is happening now. I would begin the story when something happens. If you fix that, it will automatically take care of the second problem, which is the lack of a scene. We're hearing a narrative voice on an empty stage.

Finally, when I think of a "suit" I usually think of a WASP. If, presumably through intermarriage, WASPs are disappearing, I don't think the new power elite will wear suits.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

WASP is a 20th century slang term - White Anglo Saxon Protestant. So saying that his friends tease him about being the last surviving WASP is a quick way of saying that society has changed and that many different types of people have power now, not just the "good old boys". Rick Norwood, you are, of course, absolutely right about the references to suits. I was looking for an alternative word for "The People in Charge of This Project" and I need to find a better one. Selection Committee is a good one (thanks, Wouldbe!)

I'm going to be home one more day I think - I am recovering nicely from the bug the 10 year old brought home from school, but the two younger ones have caught it now. I was still in a little bit of a flu haze yesterday when I started writing. So I need to go through everyone's comments and figure out where I'm losing people at.

And, regarding the book a day thing, I grew up in a very blue collar neighborhood. The only thing being a good reader got you there was a butt-kicking. So, its funny to me to be in a group of people that actually think it's cool. It used to be my dirty little secret. I also used to have a hard time giving back books that I liked - it seemed that they were meant to be mine. I actually had a cop show up at the door one day with a warrant for all my overdue library books - i was about 14 at the time. And I was probably the only library book shoplifter in Detroit. Oh, yeah. Those were the days!

It took me two days to read Lisey's story, but on some days (like holidays and vacation days), I read more, so I think it all works out. And no, I don't count Clifford the Big Red Dog in there, although I do usually read the books the kids bring home so that we can talk about them intelligently. At one point I think I had read every Goosebumps book in publication. ARGH!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I was looking for an alternative word for "The People in Charge of This Project" and I need to find a better one.

There are other things people wear (besides suits) or use (like clipboards) that could indicate their power and be slang for those people: badges, particular kinds of hats, particular kinds of instruments or gadgets (you could refer to a nurse as "the blood-pressure cuff" I suppose) or even weapons ("the riding crop" even?), and so on.

Pick something that is the insignia of their power, so everyone knows that they have power just by looking at them ("the golden bluetooth" or something analogous?).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
A few thoughts from me....

1. You have a tendency to write stories with the narrator (in fist person) stating something about the story's hook in a somewhat existential way in the present, and then leap back into the past to tell the details. This isn't a problem, just a stylistic tendency I noticed. Have you tried rewriting this without the first paragraph entirely? I don't know if it'll improve, but it might.

2. Invoking Moby Dick sets the bar pretty high up there. This isn't a bad thing, but elevating the language to meet it mighn't be a terrible idea. Your narrator is pretty personal already, and fairly informal. I don't know if there's a balance to be found between your style and Melville's, but it might be worth looking for it.

3. (This point was made after lunch, and we've shared two bottles of a very nice red wine between the four of us, so I'm not entirely in my right mind) You might do to bring a few more concrete details about the catastrophe a little further up in the book to fit somewhere in these 13. Knowing that something goes wrong is well and fine, but knowing a tidbit of what actually happens could be a deeper hook.

Good work, though. I like this. Send it by if you're looking for readers.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Jayson, I'll send it out as soon as I get it finished, thanks very much for offering. And you are absolutely right, and observant. I frequently juice my 13 by revealing something startling and then the story explains how the startling thing happened. I have two reasons (maybe three) for this: One, it gives a quick hook, two, it establishes what kind of story I'm asking the reader to accept (okay, can you buy THIS? cause if you can accept this one thing, we have a story-the whole suspending disbelief thing. If they're not ready for designer drug werewolves, why make 'em waste their time?), and three, I am offering the reader a contract: this is what i've got, if you like this, you'll like the story. Of course,then i have to come through with the goods, but hey. also, I kind of like starting with something implausable and then making it seem logical by the end, even if it is really unusual logic. So make that four things.

Also, I have a friend named Ishmael (he's Puerto Rican, go figure) so he reminds me of the Moby Dick character a lot. But the reference was not to Melville's writing, it was to the fact that Jedediah thinks of himself as an Ishmael like figure. I can get pretty cocky, but I have no intention of comparing myself to melville, or anybody else for that matter. After you read, maybe you can help me come up with a better title. I'm open to ideas. I actually started out calling this "For want of a crew". or some other variation on that "for want of a nail" thing.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 24, 2007).]

debhoag
Member # 5493

here's the revised, now that I'm not under the influence of theraflu:

My name is Jedediah Whitmore, and I am surrounded by the dead, and I don't know what to do. It's not my fault – I never intended to murder anyone. This adventure was cursed from the beginning; it was wrong to try to escape our fate. But I was caught up in the idea of my own life completing the circle that my ancestors had started by colonizing America. I let my excitement and sense of destiny get the better of me. When I was first chosen, my friends teased me that the reason I got picked for the colonization project is because I'm the last remaining WASP on earth, and the selection committee wanted to make sure we didn't die out entirely. All I could see was that now I would be the one to go out to that fearful new world and help make a new beginning for the human race.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 25, 2007).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
It's good! I think there is a tense issue (I'm terrible at naming these correctly - is it tense, agreement, misused gerunds, dangling participles? I have no idea...) near the end of the paragraph.

He says "I'm the last remaining..." isn't he ON the colony ship now, thereby having BEEN the last WASP on earth. I was the last remaining...

From here the rest of the tenses in the subsequent sentences make me go hmm... "All I could see was that now I would be..." there's got to be a simpler way to say that.

I also suggest a paragraph break or two. Maybe right after the first sentence? And again before When I was first chosen...

It just seems like, with the intensity of what you're laying out for the reader, some breaks are warranted.

It looks nifty - and I think I owe you a read so let me know if you want a reader, you have my email addy. I'll have a back-atcha kind of favor in the next 1-2 weeks anyway. Home from vacation tomorrow...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Hey, I just posted to you on another thread. Glad to hear you survived vacation. Did you have a good time? If you don't get this from me by the time you get home, would you send me a quick email? I may have misplaced your email address. You can untangle my tenses till the cows come home!
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
Both the first and second versions have things to commend them--although, yes, I think the second is better.

I, too, owe you a read. So send it along and I'll take a look ;-)

Adam
xxx

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WASP is a 20th century slang term - White Anglo Saxon Protestant. So saying that his friends tease him about being the last surviving WASP is a quick way of saying that society has changed and that many different types of people have power now, not just the "good old boys".

I didn't know what WASP stood for until you told me, and I have the feeling that a good number of your readers won't make that connection. Even once you told me (outside of the story) what it meant, I didn't get that it meant that "different types of people have power now." I was thinking, "Does this mean that he's the last white person? No, genetically that doesn't make sense. A brown-skined couple with the right genes can produce a white-skinned child, so this option seems nearly impossible. Something wiped out the Anglo Saxons? I suppose that might be it--some plague or war or something. Or is he the last Protestant, but there are plenty of Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, etc? What happened to them? How do they absolutely know that he's the only one left that believes that way?" See the problem?

Also, not every WASP in today's society has power. Unless your protag is one of the old elite (in which case, why not just say, "last surviving of the old elite"?), saying that he's a White Anglo Saxon Protestant doesn't really make the point you're trying to get across. Why not tell us what IS true now. We'll have a better idea of how the world has changed that way. (It's the difference between saying, "the white European men aren't in charge anymore" which leaves open a lot of options as to who IS in power, vs. "Hispanic women are in charge.")

Just my opinion.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

DebbieKW, his friends were teasing him. I am very pale, Irish, and I have friends of other ethic groups that tease me the same way on occasion. He was selected based on technical skills - the humor in saying it is because he is a WASP is that they are implying it's a kind of affirmative action move. I guess that is a cultural thing that you are either familiar with or not. WASP is rather like Yuppie or Buppie. I am thinking that is was a slightly derogatory term coined in response to hippie, and maybe it's just not in use in your peer group. Come to think of it, maybe its more of advertising slang, as these expressions tend to delineate different groups of people and their buying habits? Baby Boomers and Generation Xers also is a similar term, to my way of thinking.
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Deb, these comment are on the later, less groggy version. That second try tells more story and hooks me more.

The colonization trip of the Appleseed (Appleseed? - cool) seems like an ordinary space colony as it started out. There's less of the impending doom around this start, so less urgency and less danger to the WASPs of the world.

That all contradicts the first sentence. I understand that all the deaths happened after the Appleseed was under way. It's that the hooking horror of 'surrounded by the dead' and 'never intended to murder anyone' are undone by the rest.

Technical:
I think "This adventure was cursed" could start a new paragraph. That might reset the readers' mental images and preserve the horrifying hook.

"one to go out to that fearful new world" -- What is that world afraid of? Do you mean 'fearsome' = one to be feared?

So is it ready for readers? I'll offer.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
Deb - I was surprised to see you throw out a perfectly good 13! I really liked the opening line of the original, it got my attention. Like darklight, I also thought "none of what?" - except that the question made me want to keep reading. It also really helps set the tone for Jededia's personality. I think the first 13 has much more voice. Maybe I'm crazy, but I rather prefer the Theraflu version.

I do think WASP could be replaced with something else though, as it seemed to generate a lot of confusion.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
WASP is as common as DINK, and even though it might cause a few problems, it's not that obscure. Leave it in there. I like it - especially its use as a pejorative.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, I know WASP but I had no idea what DINK was, I had to look it up.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea what either was! Maybe they aren't so common here in the Uk...
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know what WASP was, obviously. I have heard of DINK. I've heard it used twice in my life. (Three now.) I don't think either are that common.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
It is fascinating how words disseminate around the world. I know DINK and Yuppie, but not WASP or Buppie or mark (to refer to another thread). Another problem with the word WASP is linked with the mission issue – WASPs have been used in some science fiction stories to indicate fighter pilots – a style of warship and fighting method. This is a potential source of confusion to the audience.

I am with LordPoochie on this story - I was hooked by the original first 13, but not the rewrite. I thought the original was very good. The questions of what a WASP was and why it was so important yet feared by the populous, were an immediate hook. The fact that the world was doomed was another hook, and said straight up – this story is about race survival.

My criticisms of the original 13 were
– the opening sentence was filler (the bang was in the second sentence)
– the third paragraph felt that you were dragging the back-story too far. I was ready to enter the story proper

For the rewrite, the first two sentences clearly marked it as horror, and I am not into horror, so that was a turn off. (Nitpick - murder implies intent, so the second sentence is an oxymoron.) Additionally, there was no science fiction hook – although I could have interpreted this as follows: an alternative history where the pilgrims had been the only ones to make it to the new world before Europe had been wiped from the map by the bubonic plague (and perhaps the MC had given it to all on the sailing boat that returned to Europe). The things that got me wanting to read the original 13 are absent in the second: WASPs were now a minor gibe among friends and not important to the story, and; there is no sense that this is about space (references to the new world can be considered an alternative reference to America). Most important, the rewrite felt more like an infodump, with little to indicate which bits of information were important and which weren't.

Return to your first instincts on this story.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

I completely disagree with everyone who thinks you should take WASP out of the piece. I'm British, and I've heard it used loads. Some people won't have heard of the term, but some people won't have heard of 'onomatopoeia' or 'dendroid' or 'pyric'. Just make them look in a dictionary. There's no way you can make everyone understand everything, and I passionately disagree with dumbing down to target the lowest common denominator. So . . . keep it. The context makes it pretty clear which version of WASP you mean (the traditional, rather than the sci-fi version), and anyone with access to the net can figure it out.

I expect a good book to send me to the dictionary every now and again. Although, I admit it happens a lot less recently. But there's a kind of wonder in discovering a new word.

Adam
xxx

[This message has been edited by baduizt (edited August 26, 2007).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
baduizt, your argument for "looking up WASP if you don't know what it means" doesn't really work in this case. Since this story seems like a sci-fi story, some people will assume a sci-fi meaning for WASP. Us poor confused souls won't even realize that it has a "normal" meaning in current society that we need to look up, or we won't realize that's the meaning DebHoag is referring to. If DebHoag wants to avoid that, then some minor changes are required--like spelling the acronym out, using a different word, or getting rid of "strain" in that sentence. But if she doesn't care if some readers are confused or are envisioning something else when reading that, then she doesn't have to change it. *shrug*

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited August 26, 2007).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

I agree with the 'strain' comment, yeah. That perhaps may confuse. Although, I've asked a few people to read this opening now and not had any problems with WASP. But a few guys did say it sounded awkward.

Cheers

debhoag
Member # 5493

This story is rewritten, if anyone happens to be interested in giving it a second read - I'm still floundering for a name, though. I was thinking about changing the name of the ship to Falcon, as that was the middle name of the explorer who died on the Ross Ice shelf - which would mean I'd have to change all the appleseed references, but a reader pointed out to me that there is already a series that uses appleseed. Any thoughts?
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a first read, if that's any good to you
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

You've got Ishmael in the title so why not a reference to Noah's Ark - obviously you wouldn't call it the Ark or anything corny like that, but did it have a name? Or, the Hebrew for Ark suitably SF'd?

I'll read it again if you'd like.

Pat

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too!
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

For all of you folks that have been kind enough to volunteer to read this piece, it occurred to me after I sent it out that the psychosis developed by the MC - end of the world psychosis, or ender's psychosis, could possibly be construed as relating somehow to Mr. Card's Ender's novels. While I have not yet had the pleasure of getting my hands on a copy of any of these, I didn't want to create any confusion on this matter, so I've renamed the MC's disorder "shelf psychosis" because it is a condition that developed after the Ross Ice Shelf dropped into the ocean and pretty much ended human life as we know it on earth.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 02, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.