Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Church of the Bitter Raygun

Author Topic: Church of the Bitter Raygun
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Post-nuclear society, humorous. I'm thinking it will end up as another short - between three and four thousand words.

We started out as two separate congregations: The Temple of the Just Desserts, and the Church of Books on Tape. But when part of the ceiling collapsed above us, leaving both chambers debris filled and difficult to navigate, we had little choice but to leave the lofty heights of the Sales on Four Floor and look for a new church deeper in the bowels of the building where the mutated kudzoo vine prohibited earlier settlers from finding sanctuary.
It was Tiramisu that uncovered the sign “B TTER RAYGUNS”. She looked at me uncertainly. Macheted kudzoo vines lay around her up to her knees. “What does this mean, Oh Lord of the R. . ."
Before she could finish her question, there was a blinding

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Love it. It has the makings of a very entertaining spoof. I love the names, particularly. Tiramisu, the two congregation names - love it. Kudzoo vines reminds me of the post-apocalyptic computer game Alphaman, so I am expecting some Kudzoo fruit doing something strange later on. When you finish, sent it here.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it too, although the sentence beginning 'But when part ...' left me a bit out of breath.

I'd like to read it although there will be a delayed response of a few days due to other stuff to read.

Breathlessly,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi deb, I agree that sentance But when... is a little long but I would love to read this story. Please send it my way when finished.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
As a member of the Church of Pot Luck Suppers, I am extremely offended by this thinly veil attack on us. But I'll read it anyway, when you're done with it. Bless you (grumble grumble).
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I'm currently a member of the Temple of the Moving Van, so please be patient. Wouldbe, I apologize in advance for my sins. I'm currently offering sacrifices to the Gods of DSL, and praying fragrant prayers that our service will be not interrupted.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 02, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Moving. Oh, dear. Three moves = one fire in the damage they do. Are you leaving Arizona?

I, too, liked the opening. Since nobody else has done a word by word, I'll do one.

We started out as two separate congregations: The Temple of the Just Desserts, and the Church of Books on Tape. But when part of the ceiling collapsed above us, leaving both chambers xxxdebrisx xxxfilledx ((filled with debris)) and difficult to navigate, we had little choice but to ((move.)) xxxleavex ((We abandoned)) the lofty heights of xxxthex Sales on Four xxxFloorx and look(ed) for a new church deeper in the bowels of the building(,) where the mutated kudzoo vine prohibited earlier settlers from finding sanctuary.
It was Tiramisu xxxthatx (who) uncovered the sign “B TTER RAYGUNS”. She looked at me uncertainly. Macheted kudzoo vines lay around her up to her knees. “What does this mean, Oh Lord of the R. . ."
Before she could finish her question, there was a blinding flash of purple light. For a moment spots danced luridly in front of my eyes, and I had to shake my head to clear my

Are both churches moving, or just one? I don't think "Macheted" really works as a verb. Is "kudzoo" instead of "kudzu" intentional?

I'd like to read it when it's done.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I'll send it to you, Rick. it's only 1700 words. The kudzoo is part of a general lingual drift, and macheted is not a term found in the dictionary. I conjugated it myself. I couldn't figure out the xxxs, but since this is so short, I'll just send as is and await your comments in text. Thanks for offering!

And, no, we're not moving out of Arizona, just across town. Our adjustable rate mortgage shot up just about the same time Chuck had a heart attack, and I am surrendering. We're moving into a rental for a while so we can lick our financial wounds and regroup. Anybody want a goat?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 02, 2007).]

Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
This does sound fun. I'll read and comment if you want.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this, but the writing feels jumbled. Having read 90% of Terry Pratchett's lifelong output, I cannot help but sympathise: even he gets jumbled and wacky when the funny action happens, leaving the reader laughing because of what the characters did but also because the writer conned them out of an ending. Dunno if that's deliberate on his part.

Anyway.

We started out as two separate congregations: The Temple of the Just Desserts, and the Church of Books on Tape.

quote:
But when part of the ceiling collapsed above us, leaving both chambers debris filled and difficult to navigate, we had little choice but to leave the lofty heights of the Sales on Four Floor and look for a new church deeper in the bowels of the building where the mutated kudzoo vine prohibited earlier settlers from finding sanctuary.

Long phrase. Chop chop? I'd cut it up into two or three pieces.
The other parts are fine, but that phrase really threw me out of the story.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Books on tape don't work for me, so can I pick the Temple of the Just Desserts? That one sounds yummy.

I gather that the whole community of multiple 'churches' is in one building. Kudzu on steroids has invaded some of the building and keeps people out until they hack their way in with a machete. Kudzu is deserving of so much worse, but I'll go with the machete for now. My problem is that the plant is growing inside the building. What does it use for sunlight? The vine takes a few long runs until it finds light, then it spreads out and covers the top of whatever it's growing on. A mutation that changed that basic growing nature of plants, vines in particular, needs to be explained more. If the mutation goes that far, I wouldn't trust the chopped pieces around my knees.

Good luck with the move, Deb.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

ceiling over the atrium has caved in
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your move. For six years, now, the federal government has been doing everything it can to shift the bulk of the wealth from the working class to the idle rich, and people are starting to suffer as a result.

Don't let them get your goat!

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought it was spelled kudzu, so googled kudzoo - amusing.

http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzoo/index.html

So, the language has already drifted.

I'd be interested to read when you have this done. Good luck with the move!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to read this, too. It smacks of bizarro fiction, too, so you may have a buyer in that area.

I currently have a few other crits to finish, I think, so I may be a while, but I'll get something back to you.

Adam
xxx

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.