Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » MY WOTF Entry (the Polished Magnum Opus)

Author Topic: MY WOTF Entry (the Polished Magnum Opus)
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all or nothing, I've already sent it. I've posted the 13 lines of the rough draft. Here's the polished MAGNUM OPUS:

Pantroth lived for battle. The spear and sword were art forms in which he was a master. There was a cadence in the clash of steel and flesh on the battlefield, a tempo that moved him. A death here bestowed honor and glory on a warrior, redemption for the sins of past, not like the dishonorable whimpers of the disabled, cowardly, or infirm.

He reaped dispassionately through the enemy, like a farmer through a wheat field. The soldiers that surrounded him were nervous or anxious, new recruits lined up for the slaughter. They followed him; stood or advanced in his wake. They needed to be shown what to do.

Not Pantroth. He was just what Captain Kathar wanted him to be: a stone-cold-killer. He would willingly show the

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Solid.

Best of luck with this! Fingers are crossed!

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, good luck IB!

All this talk of WOTF has made me feel a little left out, think I'll have to send one of my own in tomorrow

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds very good. It inspires me to enter something, too:

Grandroth lived for battle. The spear and sword were...something like that.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Good luck, IB!

And yeah, I'm thinking maybe I need to kick myself here and get something entered.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:
quote:
It's <--What is? all or nothing, I've already sent it. [Sent what?]

Kidding! Best of luck, Babbler!

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited September 10, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL at oliverhouse.

Good luck with your entry, IB. I'm feeling a little behind the 8 ball since I haven't decided what to submit, nor polished it, and I remember this story's first 13 posted waaay earlier in the summer. Oh boy, better get myself to work!

Good luck with this, it looks great!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, IB. Looks like a really strong hook to me.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope we get to read it in the next addition of WOTF
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice revision IB. Fingers crossed for you.

N-

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My take:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's <--What is? all or nothing, I've already sent it. [Sent what?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LoL, oliverhouse. You do a pretty good impression. Lucky I'm not like Dennis Miller and the "That's just my opinion..." that he claims as his catch phrase, he'd sue.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Pantroth seems distinctly non-human. I might expect him to be a robot or alien or something. If he is in fact human, I can't imagine him to be so dispassionate in a life-or-death situation.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Pantroth is a pretty tough guy . Like Conan, but with more calluses. Good Luck, IAB!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice simile, "like a farmer through wheat," that was excellent.

It's a good piece but I just read it for the first time, and it felt a little disorienting in places. Mostly I mean the second paragraph.

"He reaped dispassionately through the enemy," good imagery, and I see him clearly carving his way through his foes like Sauron in the prologue of the LOTR movie.

But the very next line "The soldiers that surrounded him were nervous," makes me think that the soldiers he is fighting are nervous, since that's where we last saw him, surrounded by enemies and killing them all. Of course they're nervous...

"new recruits lined up for the slaughter," again I am imagining his enemies, since they are the ones who surround him (as far as I could tell)

"they need to be shown what to do," what, die? And at this point I suddenly realize these soldiers around him are his allies. That wasn't very clear to me, since, after-all, if he's reaping his way through his enemies it's probably his enemies that are most closely around him. If not, that's something worth pointing out, I think.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.