Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Innocent-Revisited; dark fantasy? Sci fi? Horror?

Author Topic: The Innocent-Revisited; dark fantasy? Sci fi? Horror?
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, a rewrite of the first story I ever posted here... about 3700 words, if anyone is kind enough to read the whole thing.

Jimmy crouched behind the dumpster in the alley, waiting for the zombie horde to pass. The ridges of the revolver’s handle dug into his palm. He forced himself to exhale as he listened to the shuffle of feet passing by. There must have been thirty of them moving down Second Avenue. They usually kept to the wide, straight streets once they gained critical mass, but sometimes they’d turn down alleys. And this one led to a dead end.

Keith squatted beside him, shotgun slung across his back. Sweat mixed with the dirt on his thin face. Austin huddled on his other side, head in hands. “How many shots you got left, Jimbo?” Keith whispered, eyes mischievous. The butt of his Glock poked out of his waistband.

“Five.” Jimmy flipped Keith off and received a playful punch in

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 17, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 17, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anne - if you want you could send it my way. Ciao!
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anne. I'll be happy to read if you want.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the detail of the revolver digging into his palm, though "horde" stopped me a moment - does thirty constitute a horde? Probably does actually

I'd prefer breathe to "exhale", I think it would keep the tension better.

I was a little confused what "critical mass" meant, is that what they call it when the zombies gather in such large groups?

I know I read the original, but if you want me to take a look at the rewrite feel free to send it my way.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
you know I'm in. Send away!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

cool beans. it's on it's way. thanks guys.

Edited to say: Er, I just thought of something that I think needs to be changed, so I'll send it along shortly.

Also, I guess I should mention, it does have gore and quite a bit of cussing... so if that sort of thing bothers you, you might not want to read.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 18, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, gore? Count me in!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Oh, and as for "horde"--I think that's the proper term for a group of zombies, like a gaggle of geese, a flock of birds, a murder of crows... that sort of thing, so it has less relevance on the actual number involved.
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jimmy crouched behind the dumpster in the alley, waiting for the zombie horde to pass. The ridges of the revolver’s handle dug into his palm. He forced himself to exhale as he listened to the shuffle of feet passing by. There must have been thirty of them moving down Second Avenue. They usually kept to the wide, straight streets once they gained critical mass, but sometimes they’d turn down alleys. And this one led to a dead end.

Keith squatted beside him, shotgun slung across his back. Sweat mixed with the dirt on his thin face. Austin huddled on his other side, head in hands. “How many shots you got left, Jimbo?” Keith whispered, eyes mischievous. The butt of his Glock poked out of his waistband.

I think that paragraph should be broken up. It has Keith's actions, Austin's actions, and dialogue. Who spoke there? It might be clearer if the dialogue began a new paragraph.

quote:
“Five.” Jimmy flipped Keith off and received a playful punch in

I'm still not sure why the flipping off occurred, or the punch in return. It seemed a rather tense scene, now they're playing around. It betrays the tension that grew before this. I'm hooked enough at this point to read on and find out.

I like the tone and the tension. Everyone loves a well-told zombie story with good characters. They're in a dead-end alley, so we know the zombies won't just slip past and be forgot.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way! I always love me a good zombie story.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.