Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » no title - non-sci-fi/literary story, a few hundred words so far

Author Topic: no title - non-sci-fi/literary story, a few hundred words so far
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
This was just something I've been playing around with for some time, mostly as a distraction when I got stuck on writing other stories. Anyway, it's about a pilot and his airplane - and not much else right now given what I just said above. I'm still sketching it out, right now I'm just working on introducing the characters. So, uh, here you go.

When Milo Fredericks finally came home, he came home as a pilot. Nothing too fancy, but he did log a lot of hours, and its hours that count. So what if the fastest he ever achieved was a mere crawl compared to the jet jockies, or even compared to the ride home. He logged enough hours to hit those Air Transport Pilot and airline entrance milestones, and besides there’s no way to experience Kabul Air Express care of the United States Air Force except to do it low and slow.
Of course, he also came home to the biggest slump the airline industry experienced since the end of regulated air commerce.
So he came back home to the family farm, prepared to resume the life he knew. Only that the life he knew could never be reclaimed. He’d flown more hours than the lifetimes of several

[This message has been edited by The G-Bus Man (edited September 22, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 24, 2007).]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several things in this first 13 that raise false expectations. For example, "came home", without any more information, suggests "came home from work" or "came home from a flying lesson". Later, when we find it means "came home from overseas", its jarring. Then, the "ride home" suggests a car or a bus, and I was wondering what kind of very slow plane he was learning on that went slower than a "ride home". "Flight home" would avoid that misunderstanding. Of course, there should be an apostrophe in "It's hours that count."

Another problem is too many sentences have weak beginnings, connectives, or endings: "So what", "and besides", "Of course", "So", "Only". Most of those words could go, and the sentences would be stronger.

The idea is interesting. I hope this helps you to tighten it up.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
G-Bus Man, I think they're looking for you on the Paris Hilton is a succubus thread.

Also, its - it's.

I got the "coming home" thing, but I'm a Vietnam era gal. Which also brings up the point about specifying which war he was coming back from.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
G-Bus Man, I think they're looking for you on the Paris Hilton is a succubus thread.

I, uh, don't follow.

quote:
Also, its - it's.

Oh, oops

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my line by line:

When Milo Fredericks finally came home, he came home as a pilot. <'came home' twice in the sentence - which might be ok, but 'came home' recurs twice more later, once as 'came back home'.> Nothing too fancy, but he did log a lot of hours, and its <it's> hours that count. So what if the fastest he ever achieved was a mere crawl compared to the jet jockies<jockeys>, or even compared to the ride home. <Question mark here? And, what ride home? After a while I guessed this meant the flight home in a military transport, but it wasn't clear to me.> He logged enough hours to hit those Air Transport Pilot and airline entrance milestones <are these exams?>, and besides <I don't konw the gramatical reason but "besides" doesn't sound right to me here.> there’s no way to experience Kabul Air Express care of the United States Air Force except to do it low and slow. <I don't understand the Kabul Air Express reference -- is it like Air America? Why low and slow? I can imagine C-130s are slow, but low?>
Of course, he also came home to the biggest slump the airline industry <consider inserting "had" here> experienced since the end of regulated air commerce.
So he came back home to the family farm, prepared to resume the life he knew. Only that<delete 'that'> the life he knew could never be reclaimed. He’d flown more hours <we know already he'd flown many hours> than the lifetimes of several frequent fliers put together <that's several times a frequent flier's lifetime of say 60 years, not possible methinks>, and damnit <used this way it's usually spelled "dammit", I think -- that's what my Oxford English says anyhow> he’s <"he's" doesn't match the tense this sentence started in, with "he'd"; it probably ought to be "he'd fly again"> gonna fly again, and not crammed in the steerage section of a flying bus but by his own hand.

I like stories about pilots and aircraft, but I don't see a hook here. We know little about Milo aside from that he came back from war a qualified pilot with no job but one on the family farm, and we haven't met him so we don't know if he's likeable. His problem is that he wants to fly -- I can sympathize with that, it's a bug, right? -- but since it seems to me likely he'll wind up flying crop dusters, I'm not sure where the hook is that would keep me reading.

Why not have him telling all of this to one of the characters on the farm, or at the local sports bar, so that we not only get the history but how he feels about it, what his aspirations are beyond crop dusting (with respect to all those crop dusters out there) and what he's like?

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
The Paris Hilton thing is on the "how in the world" thread in Open Discussions on Writing. Surreal happiness.

If I paste the fragment into the edit window, it comes out as 16 lines. Now I could allow you the lines other folks haven't used, but... Nah, I'm only going to look at the "13-lines-as-determined-by-the-edit-window."

quote:
When Milo Fredericks finally came home, he came home as a pilot. Nothing too fancy, but he did log a lot of hours, and its hours that count. So what if the fastest he ever achieved was a mere crawl compared to the jet jockies, or even compared to the ride home. He logged enough hours to hit those Air Transport Pilot and airline entrance milestones, and besides there’s no way to experience Kabul Air Express care of the United States Air Force except to do it low and slow.

Like that I have a name. Seems a lot of this is superfluous. I pick up a hint that Milo did other stuff but he's classified as a pilot because of the sheer number of hours he logged flying the Kabul Air Express for the USAF.

quote:
Of course, he also came home to the biggest slump the airline industry experienced since the end of regulated air commerce.

Awkward. Tighten this up. From Kabul and the airline industry slump, I'm inferring post 9/11.

quote:
So he came back home to the family farm, prepared to resume the life he knew. Only that the life he knew could never be reclaimed. He’d flown more hours than the lifetimes of several

I'd like to glimpse why the life he'd known could never be reclaimed. Spending time flying doesn't seem sufficient justification for being unable to reclaim a cherished way of life.

Enjoyed it and would have kept reading.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.