Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » If You Have to Cry--SF? Fantasy?WIP

Author Topic: If You Have to Cry--SF? Fantasy?WIP
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first thirteen of an unfinished story. Before I go on, however, I'd like to know if the voice works. Too flowery? Too confusing? Hooked?

---------------------------------------------------------
My white town hangs from a cliff over a ravine with a dwindling river, in the archipelago that was once the Iberian Peninsula, in the middle of the Great Sea.
What little land we have, we need for planting, so the villagers carve homes for themselves from the mountain, using the limestone as whitewash and walling themselves into the Earth with brick and plaster. It is the ultimate living space, one that encloses you so completely that you have no fear of escape. After swimming free all my life, it's difficult to believe that I could grow accustomed to being buried alive, but I've come to enjoy the feeling of smothering safety.
On the nights when the moon is full and calls the river up to lap its shore, I dig deep inside my house and feel as

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 05, 2007).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The voice isn't confusing. However, I have a couple of problems:

1) It feels a little info-dump-ish.

2) Who/what is telling the story? I should know who or what I'm following.

3) Maybe some of this could be better left to later: I can't really relate to "no fear of escape". I don't know why someone that is used to "swimming free" would express this. IMHO you need to string this through the character a little more.

4)I don't feel any conflict coming on.

However, I like the world-building (but then, you seem to have little trouble with that aspect--ever ), and the images that you put in my head. I just have nothing to attach them to.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
it does run a little slower than you usually write, Sara, but it sets a nice tone. You have several sentences that are really loonnggg (I'm an expert at run-on sentences - take my word for it. I know loonnnggg - ask anybody that's critted my stuff!). You might do better by breaking them up into several shorter sentences. As always, I enjoy your writing, keep me in mind when you are looking for readers? I'm interested in seeing where this goes. For some reason, I'm thinking it's cannibal free.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point Sara, you have trust on your resume. You don’t have to have incredible openings that entice impatient readers who worry that it will ultimately turn out to be a poorly written, crap story. Its nice that you have license to paint the scene and your readers still know you won’t disappoint.

The word escape caused me to go back and re-read because I thought I must have missed something that would cause that word choice to make more sense. I love the way you mix poetry into your writing, but that one is distracting.

A clue as to at least the gender of the protag would be nice. It would make it a little more comfortable since we can’t actually hear his or her voice in our head and after a few lines of first person dialog my brain doest protest. It could be subtle or more direct. If it’s a girl you could say “the men carve homes for themselves” and I would already be on track with the idea that this is probably a girl and said brain shall begin to apply correct voice.

Interestingly, when not supplied with sufficient id my brain defaults to James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vader). Can you fix that Dr. Genge?

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Just curious.
Richard and Deb, from the little dialog we got here from Sara, do you think the protag is younger or older, male or female?

I think I assumed that it was a younger female. I am wondering if I assumed that because I know that Sara is a young (ish) female or whether the clues are in the text. The protag says "my town" which implies young. Like a teenager that lives with her parents and says "my house" but later on into her twenties will say "our house" if she still lives there. "My parents house" is a little too self-demeaning but "my house" conflicts too much with her own growing sense of self worth. So I think she's young because she says "my town". I'm also leaning towards female because only a very young boy would say "my town". A young man would already feel too much part of the mechanism of the community to use such a singular possessive word as, “my”. I think it would defy the sense of agricultural community he would already have even in his teens. Even a 13 year-old boy would probably say “our town” after already working with the men a few years. To say “my town” would be to ignore the men and women he likely already admires. Younger girls probably feel less connected to the community they grow up in because they often end up in another town in a different family though marriage. It’s been that way for thousands of years.

Or did I read way too much into way too little? lol

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
tnwilz, I'm pretty sure that I've asked you to refrain from calling me "Richard". I go by Rich or Rick--preferrably IB or IAB (winks at deb) here--but if your going to call me by my casual name, please use the one I do. The formal version is what my mother called me when she was angry, or what the doctors use, I don't like it. Ironically, you didn't use "Deborah" when referring to debhoag.

As to the question:I don't think that the phrase "my town" hints at any age or gender."My town", "My home town", or "My island" have been used ambiguously in songs, movies, television shows, and print. (I guess I think you're reading a little too much into it .) You've never heard: "This is my town...", "Let me show you around my town.", or "You can't mess with me in my town." from any adult males? That's kind of odd. Maybe it's that in combination with the other mentioned details: planting (instead of farming); everyone else "carves homes for themselves" and "walls themselves in", the protagonist appears to have that done for him/her; the poetry in "the moon is full and called the river up to lap at its shore" that make the protagonist seem feminine. I don't think the protagonist is entirely human. It sounds like some sort of mutant or mermaid-type to me.

However, Sara, upon a second read, I'm confused by the river/sea. I can't picture and archipelago in a river. I can picture one of the islands in an archipelago with a river in/on/disecting it.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Sara.

I felt the last line (On the nights. . .) served as a better hook than what you have right now. The first line confused me a bit. The word "hangs" made me initially think this was a town of tiny people (the size of fairies) and that their town literally hung from a cliff. Then I got to "What little land we have. . ." and realized that wasn't so. Maybe "clings" is a better word?

The second paragraph is nothing but exposition and slows it down. I think this info could be woven in later in the story.

Overall, I think the voice is consistent and right on so far.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice scenery description, though I agree with Deb that the opening could be much improved by shortening some of the sentences.
I think the opening has great potential, and if you do ever want readers, please keep me in mind.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Actually Rich, I prefere to be called Pongo if you don’t mind. And I'm easily as angry as your mother. Ok, so I forgot - we'll settle out of court, I'm sure. Ironic don’t you think, that someone who likes to be called inarticulate can be so .... well, you get my drift.

So you are leaning to the feminine side but for different reasons. Hmmm, I think that Sara should offer cash and prizes to whoever comes the closest to identifying her protag off her text. Or at least a free bottle of aspirin.

Pongo

BTW I like to use peoples names if I know them. I wasn't sure what Debhoag's actual name is. Now I do. Hi Deborah, or Debbie ... (I'm guessing you don't want to be called Hoag). I'm Tracy. Too busy to do this during the summer but I have more time now so I'll see you around Hatrack.

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
The voice must be totally off. He's a middle aged man. He says "my town" because he's an inmigrant, although he's lived there for ten year.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

And, this is why I don't gamble or attempt to play poker.
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
tnwilz wrote:

quote:
I wasn't sure what Debhoag's actual name is. Now I do. Hi Deborah, or Debbie ... (I'm guessing you don't want to be called Hoag).

I don't suppose it really matters, but people on Hatrack tend to call Debhoag "Deb" and me (DebbieKW) "Debbie" to avoid confusion.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited October 07, 2007).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
which, I am assumin' is because I call myself Deb, and Debbie calls herself Debbie. . Writers! Everything is complicated!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Following everyone's advice, I've decided to chuck those last 13 and start the story differently. It's still a static beginning, but I hope it has a little more direct conflict.

quote:

This is the story I want you to tell my child.
I know you won't enjoy telling him about dry land. I know you'll hate me with each breath that delivers my story, but I also know you'll say the words with feeling and conviction. You'll follow my wishes to the letter, Mother, because this is the mer way. Even a traitor has rights and even a traitor's story deserves to be heard. It is the law, and although you may not want to acknowledge it, those rights were voiced in open air before they were squeaked underwater, scribbled in paper before they were carved in stone.
You deny that merfolk evolved from humans. It is your right to do so, but it is my right to have you tell my child what I see fit. The condemned man has a right to a last meal; the merman has a right to a few last words.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

The new beginning definitely has more of a hook. Just tell me you're keeping the imagery in the original beginning for a different part of the story!

The one thing that strikes me about the second opening is that it is quite wordy. You repeat yourself several times, diminishing the impact of words like 'traitor'. Here is how I would edit it:

quote:

This is the story I want you to tell my child.
I know you won't enjoy telling him about dry land. I know you'll hate me with each breath that delivers my story is her hate really that strong?, but I also know you'll say the words with feeling and conviction. You'll follow my wishes to the letter, Mother, because this is the mer way. Even a traitor has rights . end sentence here . It is the law,(( and although you may not want to acknowledge it )) Delete this; we alredy know his mother is reluctant. The rest of the sentence is great, those rights were voiced in open air before they were squeaked underwater, scribbled in paper before they were carved in stone.
You deny that merfolk evolved from humans. It is your right to do so, but it is my right to have you tell my child what I see fit. ((The condemned man has a right to a last meal; the merman has a right to a few last words. )) Delete this too; it's unnecessary

Again, when this story is complete, I'd love to read it.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited October 13, 2007).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Thanks BoredCow. The story is almost complete except for grammar and cleaning up which will probably take me a day or two. It's around 4500 words right now. Do you want me to send it to you when it's done?

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited October 14, 2007).]

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I like the second opening, but will make one feeble pitch for the first. You might get some aha!s from the reader if you exchange "merman" for "I" in the sentence below:

...After swimming free all my life, it's difficult to believe that a merman could grow accustomed to being buried alive, but I've come to enjoy the feeling of smothering safety.

Now to the second opening: a couple of changes could reduce the info-dump feel and passiveness:

You deny that merfolk evolved from humans. It is your right to do so, but it is my right to have you tell my child what I see fit.

Merfolk evolved from humans, Mother. We both have the right to believe differently.

Even a traitor has rights and even a traitor's story deserves to be heard. It is the law, and although you may not want to acknowledge it, those rights were voiced in open air before they were squeaked underwater, scribbled in paper before they were carved in stone.

I tell my story because even a traitor has this right, which was voiced in open....

I've never read for you and would be pleased, if you need others.

--WouldBe

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

I meant to mention that the term "merkin" came to mind while reading your selection and sounded nice. (But now that I see it written, it kind of sux. It's hard not to pronounce it like gherkin. Never mind. ) Maybe mer-kin? Nah.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Please do send it to me!

-BoredCRow
(though I'm sure cows can be bored too)

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Ups, I'm sorry BoredCrow, I missread.

I'll send it in as soon as it's readable. I just realized today that it's missing a scene. I don't know where this scene goes or what should be in it, but the story is most certainly needing it.

Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a better reason not to use 'merkin' is that its a technical term for a pubic wig...

I jest not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Merkin: Dang. That would have been embarrassing.
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Life Without The Sea, now renaimed "The Sins Of The Father" is looking for readers.

The total word length is 5500 and these first thirteen (both of them) have been pushed back into the story to places where they go better.

Anyone want a go?

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited October 30, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'll read it, if there's no rush on it.
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also very interested, and I will attempt to read it :P

Cheers

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Will correct typos that IB pointed out and send it to you this evening.

Anyone else?

WouldBe
Member # 5682

I offered earlier in the thread.
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Sent.

Thanks!

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Don't forget about me!
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I llke the voice in both openings. I wouldn't mind reading this if you need another reader.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.