Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » An Overgrown Clump of Narcissists

Author Topic: An Overgrown Clump of Narcissists
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13 of yet another WIP. If not a flash, then I expect it to be less than 2,000 words.

Hope to have it done soon,

T2

“I don’t think you should do it,” Niner said.
For the last hour I’d been sprawled out on my cheap, threadbare couch watching way-too-late holovision as he lay in my lap. I spent more time flipping through the channels than actually watching anything. Past the poorly restored footage of the afro-haired white guy painting “happy trees.” Past the infomercial promising “instant weight loss for only $429.95.” Past the tottering old southern chef who, for reasons passing understanding, still shouted, “Bam!” I finally settled on gardening, if for no other reason than I’d never actually touched dirt. Come to find out, these gardening ladies got a lot to worry about.
“…can see, Jim, this clump is far too overgrown. The blooms in

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't working for me. You give me the hook of wondering what he shouldn't do, and then you go on to describe watching tv. After the first two channels I wanted to shout "I get it! He's watching tv!" I advise starting over, and getting to the story as quick as possible.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Revised.

Hope this provides a better hook.

I had the gun in my mouth, ready to pull the trigger, when Niner said, “I don’t think you should do it.” Guess I’m lucky the surprise didn’t kill me.
For the last hour I’d been sprawled out on my cheap, threadbare couch watching way-too-late holovision as he lay in my lap. I spent more time flipping through the channels than actually watching anything. Past the poorly restored footage of the afro-haired white guy painting “happy trees.” Past the tottering old southern chef who, for unknown reasons, persisted in shouting, “Bam!” I finally settled on gardening, but only because I’d never actually touched dirt. Come to find out, these gardening ladies got a lot to worry about.
“As you can see, this clump of daffodils is far too overgrown.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is better, and would read more. Of course, you owe the reader an explanation for how watching TV can be relevant to the fact that the MC has a gun in his mouth, and also why he felt *lucky* not to have been killed by the surprise (after all, that would just save him the effort of pulling the trigger, right?)
Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
These lines:

quote:
I had the gun in my mouth, ready to pull the trigger, when Niner said, “I don’t think you should do it.” Guess I’m lucky the surprise didn’t kill me.

I liked.

The rest killed this for me. You have the MC with a gun in his mouth and you flash back an hour?? EEEK. You've just hit a huge NIT for me. Tell me what's going on. Also, you diminish the shock/hook value of the first two lines.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Excellent points, all. I'm not even sure what the NIT acronym means, but it's obvious that several of you didn't think it worked. I completed the first draft today (it only weighs in at 1,850 words) and think that I can simply re-arrange language from another part of the story to make this hook stronger and more complete.

Tell me if this does the trick...

I had the gun in my mouth, ready to pull the trigger, when I heard a voice say, “I don’t think you want to do that.” Guess I’m lucky the surprise didn’t kill me. When I heard the voice, I spit Niner out and looked around, trying to see who was talking to me. I figured I was just hearing things. Either that or my sub-conscience was working overtime trying to keep me alive. I shook my head to clear out the cobwebs, and then started to put Niner back in my mouth.
Before I even got close, he said, “Look, I think we should talk about this.”
I froze, looking around everywhere to see who was talking. Freaked out, I shouted, “Who the hell is that?”
“Put me down and I’ll tell you.”
It didn’t take me long to set him back on the couch.

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited November 30, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited November 30, 2007).]

supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Frags. (:
I'd suggest you interspace a catalogue of the TV's offerings between dialogue between the protagonist and the antagonist. Might get that sardonic feel you want while flowing.
Just an idea.
Not sure if I'd read on just yet. Saw a lot of Palahniuk in that, so I'm hovering...

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Had lots of acronyms and buzz word comments on this work. It sounds like it either hooks or it doesn't.

I don't know what "NIT" or "Frags" mean exactly, but I can guess. It would be interesting to know what they mean to you so that I can better understand your perspectives on this intro.

The TV watching, particularly two of the shows that are mentioned, are important, as they both provides significant background drops and transitions. The TV also provides character shaping and emotional digression, mindset and impacts the overall plot.

I have the first revision done for those who are interested in trying it on. Its about 1,900 words, so doubt it would take long to decide whether it's any good.

Cheers,

T2

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what "NIT" or "Frags" mean exactly, but I can guess.

"Nit" is short for nit-pick, usually meaning a small point that strikes the current reader as wrong or is personally annoying to them, but it is probably not significant enough to change unless other people point out that it's a problem for them, too.

I'm assuming "Frags" mean fragments, also known as incomplete sentences. However, that doesn't seem to be how supraturtle is using it, so you'll have to wait for supraturtle's explanation on that.

hope this helped.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plume
Member # 7278

- posted      Profile for Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
ESL here but let me give it a stab.
Your hook:

I like it better than your new version. Why do you have to use "Niner" right away? What about: I had the gun in my mouth, ready to pull the trigger when I heard "I don't think you should do it". The bullet didn't kill me, but the surprise almost did.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.